Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePandor

critique my noobness *DELETED*
    #498766 - 11/17/10 03:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by Pandor

Reason for deletion: plus plus to yo face

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePandor

Re: critique my noobness [Re: Pandor]
    #498807 - 11/17/10 09:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I also need testing equipment for pH, PPM, EC, temperature, humidity, CO2, and light levels. How many different gadgets? Is there an all in one kit or gadget for this?

I know, I have soooooooo much to learn.

I'm spending a couple hours a day either here or reading the Cervantes book.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #498808 - 11/17/10 10:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A lot is gonna depend on how you want to grow. This is a SOG grow under 2-1000 watt lights each over a 4x4 space.

Or larger plants

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #498809 - 11/17/10 10:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Ph tester, ph up/ph down, and a meter that read in parts per million for your nutrient solution o well and of course nutrients. Have you read alot about hempy grows? and if so read some more. Take a look at some other hempy grows on here too your bound to learn a few things. Those are all very important aspects to a successful grow as I came to learn out the hard way. A carbon filter isn't really necessary unless you plan on venting outside, or if anyone in your house would mind, but from the sounds of it they don't mind if your paying your piece of rent by growing.
As for the lights per room and how big and how many plants its really all up to you. How much do you want to spend on lights? How big of a yield do you want? How bill of an electric bill do you want? With many big lights comes heat, are you prepared to take care of that heat?

Stick around the growery and your bound to learn more than your brain can hold :thumbup:

o and impressive shroomies bro, but growing weed is much more fun IMO

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: critique my noobness [Re: jkell]
    #498810 - 11/17/10 10:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Beat me to it magash, Listen to him pandor he has a wealth of knowledge

InvisiblePandor

Re: critique my noobness [Re: Magash]
    #498811 - 11/17/10 10:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Magash said:
A lot is gonna depend on how you want to grow. This is a SOG grow under 2-1000 watt lights each over a 4x4 space.

Or larger plants

I love your pictures.

I want to do big plants.

So is there any benefit to buying 2 1000 watt bulbs as opposed to one big light?

If I took the route of using 2 4x4 bulbs in 2 of the rooms, and then one light in the 3rd room for mothers and such, and the house is 1250 sq ft in a ghettoish neighborhood, will this cause too much heat, electricity use, smell? I don't care if the house reeks on the inside, just worried about smells from the outside.

Realistically, would 6 5 gallon hempy buckets fit under each light in the 2 main rooms? If yes, that's 12 plants per room. How much yield can I expect? (I know it varies on the strain, growing conditions, and my skill...just a general idea would help me. A gram per watt somewhat accurate?)

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #498839 - 11/17/10 01:45 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Have you done any research into what equipment you're going to buy?

1000w's are the highest watt bulb that is useful for indoor horticulture. The bigger ones burn far too hot. I feel like 1000watt bulbs are more appropriate for commercial ops or tall plants. You get 11% more light from 600w lights over 1000w lights and they also produce no where near as much heat.

Furthermore, there's no such thing as a 4x4' light. Some people use 400w's to cover a 4x4' space, some use 600w's to cover less than a 4x4' space or a 6x6' space, some people use 1000w's to cover a 8x4' space. It all depends on the shape of your reflector and how much light you want spread out over how many feet.

As for electricity, heat, and smell... Smell isn't related to your lights, if you have stinky strains you can stink up a house with a 10" plant in veg under CFLS or sitting in your window you should invest in odor control such as Ozone generator(s), carbon scrubber(s), gels/masks, etc. Heat will depend on your ventilation you should vent the volume of your room every minute or so, some people do it every 3 minutes for bigger rooms but I think ventilation is rather important and you should be venting close to once a minute. That is to say the full volume of the room should be replaced each minute with fresh air, the used air should be exhausted outside to reduce humidity, heat, and because it's depleted of the bulk of it's co2. For electricity use some people say 1kw per bedroom is safe usage of electricity I know people who throw up ~10kw ops in 1bedroom apartments run them for a year or two and then tear them down never losing sleep over their excessive energy bills. Energy companies aren't in the business of asking questions when electricity bills are too high, they also won't want to cooperate with police for the most part in raiding people. In BC they had some bi-law where you couldn't run more than 93 kilowatt hours a day without being a suspected grower or whatever it was, some people were busted like this and the energy companies fought for the rights of their customers and won, no longer needing to cooperate with police on such matters.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #498843 - 11/17/10 01:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pandor said:
Quote:

Magash said:

Or larger plants

I love your pictures.

I want to do big plants.

So is there any benefit to buying 2 1000 watt bulbs as opposed to one big light?

If I took the route of using 2 4x4 bulbs in 2 of the rooms, and then one light in the 3rd room for mothers and such, and the house is 1250 sq ft in a ghettoish neighborhood, will this cause too much heat, electricity use, smell? I don't care if the house reeks on the inside, just worried about smells from the outside.

Realistically, would 6 5 gallon hempy buckets fit under each light in the 2 main rooms? If yes, that's 12 plants per room. How much yield can I expect? (I know it varies on the strain, growing conditions, and my skill...just a general idea would help me. A gram per watt somewhat accurate?)

A gram per watt is very hopeful, and a very ambitious goal for a first time grower. I won't say good growers but efficient growers expect 2lbs per 1000w which is just under 1gpw, and maybe over a lb for 600w's. I see growers reach 1gpw far more often with 600w lights.

If you want to aim for the highest yields possible you should look into higher plant counts or training methods (SCROG, Topping, FIM, Supercropping, etc) There's a guide on here somewhere that is a overview of all these training techniques. I top/low stress train, and supercrop/bend as much as possible for larger plants. I think having plants that put on a lot of bud mass and fall over grown in a sea of green (high plant counts/meter squared) held up by a trellis is a common method of high yields.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: critique my noobness [Re: maryanne3087]
    #498846 - 11/17/10 01:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

maryanne3087 said:
Have you done any research into what equipment you're going to buy?

1000w's are the highest watt bulb that is useful for indoor horticulture. The bigger ones burn far too hot. I feel like 1000watt bulbs are more appropriate for commercial ops or tall plants. You get 11% more light from 600w lights over 1000w lights and they also produce no where near as much heat.

Furthermore, there's no such thing as a 4x4' light. Some people use 400w's to cover a 4x4' space, some use 600w's to cover less than a 4x4' space or a 6x6' space, some people use 1000w's to cover a 8x4' space. It all depends on the shape of your reflector and how much light you want spread out over how many feet.

As for electricity, heat, and smell... Smell isn't related to your lights, if you have stinky strains you can stink up a house with a 10" plant in veg under CFLS or sitting in your window you should invest in odor control such as Ozone generator(s), carbon scrubber(s), gels/masks, etc. Heat will depend on your ventilation you should vent the volume of your room every minute or so, some people do it every 3 minutes for bigger rooms but I think ventilation is rather important and you should be venting close to once a minute. That is to say the full volume of the room should be replaced each minute with fresh air, the used air should be exhausted outside to reduce humidity, heat, and because it's depleted of the bulk of it's co2. For electricity use some people say 1kw per bedroom is safe usage of electricity I know people who throw up ~10kw ops in 1bedroom apartments run them for a year or two and then tear them down never losing sleep over their excessive energy bills. Energy companies aren't in the business of asking questions when electricity bills are too high, they also won't want to cooperate with police for the most part in raiding people. In BC they had some bi-law where you couldn't run more than 93 kilowatt hours a day without being a suspected grower or whatever it was, some people were busted like this and the energy companies fought for the rights of their customers and won, no longer needing to cooperate with police on such matters.

Great info in this post.  I never worry about electricity costs.  As long as you pay your power bill you have nothing to worry about from that end.

Also it sounds as if you have a VERY long way to go before you start up in 3 bedrooms let alone 1.  I'm not saying it can't be done, but growing MJ is a lot more complicated than mushrooms.  A lot more can go wrong and you end up with very little yield.  You'd be better off starting with 1 room and growing from there.  3 will give you WAY too much to have to pay attention to for your first grow.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: critique my noobness [Re: maryanne3087]
    #498847 - 11/17/10 02:01 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, agreed maryanne, Definetly look into some training methods.

And hawks great point, balancing ph and nutes right for a first grow is hard enough for me in a 4x4 grow area, couldn't imagine doing 3 rooms my first time around.

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #498859 - 11/17/10 02:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is my 1st SOG, two- 1000 watt lights.100 plants. Got 2 1/2 lb's.

I was happy with it.

Working on my next grow and a 2 x 2 flood and drain.

Its a labor of love.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #498879 - 11/17/10 03:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

jkell said:
Yeah, agreed maryanne, Definetly look into some training methods.

And hawks great point, balancing ph and nutes right for a first grow is hard enough for me in a 4x4 grow area, couldn't imagine doing 3 rooms my first time around.

Hempy buckets are hand watered, so if your reservoir is stable, you just hand water and that's it. I know a lot of people who started growing and most of those who start off too big end up sizing down or they just lose their crop to some unforeseen bullshit. The guys who lose money growing are usually those who save up 15-20grand and start a huge op then don't see harvest. If this guy doesn't even know what wattage of lights exist let alone what he will use I don't see him starting up a 3 room, 6kw+ setup on his first attempt.

OfflineGoombah
Esquire
Female User Gallery

Loc: Peoples Republic of MA Flag
Re: critique my noobness [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #498921 - 11/17/10 06:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You'd be better off starting with 1 room and growing from there.  3 will give you WAY too much to have to pay attention to for your first grow.

I agree, I learned much from growing two scraggly plants in a broom closet for a couple of months (like everything NOT to do - ha). I think we all get in a hurry when we decide to do a thing. I did a lot of research too and I still have tons of questions popping up along the way.

KaptKid, great picture by the way. 2 1/2Lbs? Woo-Hoo!

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: critique my noobness [Re: KaptKid]
    #498926 - 11/17/10 06:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

KaptKid said:

This is my 1st SOG, two- 1000 watt lights.100 plants. Got 2 1/2 lb's.

I was happy with it.

Working on my next grow and a 2 x 2 flood and drain.

Its a labor of love.

I creamed my pants when I read 2 1/2 pounds.

@Hawks Sorry man miscommunication, I meant just getting everything balanced in the rez hawks or was that just me the first time? :uhoh: but with practically all systems you get the rez right you're golden :thumbup:

InvisiblePandor

#498928 - 11/17/10 07:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

One think I am learning about right now and kinda stumped on is CO2 production. What will be the cheapest and noob friendly way to do this? Each method seems expensive and/or difficult. Is regulating CO2 levels as important as it seems? If so what do you recommend to a person trying to set up a 2 or 3 room grow house?

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#498933 - 11/17/10 07:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you have a consistent rate of air exchange between fresh Co2 laden air and the old used up air per a ventilation system, then it isn't super important, but the more Co2 you make available to those girls the better off they'll be. Co2 is extremly important in the photosynthesis process because the plant break the carbon off the Co2 and converts it to food, aka sugars and starches, and dispells the unwanted O2 which is wanted by US! I don't mind letting my plant grow in my room, it's a symbiotic relationship :grin:

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

#498934 - 11/17/10 07:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

sorry, to answer your question more directly, Its more of a supplement and less of a neccessity

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #498936 - 11/17/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Constant fresh air is the way to go.  Make sure that your replacing the amount of total volume of air in the room at least once a minute.  Obviously using carbon sscrubbers. 

Most big growers are switching away from CO2, and just have the constant flow of fresh air.  This can achieve the same results. 

That being said. I use CO2.  Getting air into my grow space is a pain in the ass.  So I just supplement with co2 since I already had the equipment.  Now  If your going to go the CO2 route, you will need to do a little bit of homework on it.  you need to find out the size of the room you have, how many pounds of CO2 the CO2 producer you buy puts out per say 15min of burn time and start doing some math.  Or you could go the injection system route, no heat by-product from it which is fabulous. 

It really sounds like you need to start doing some more research to be able to pull something like this off.  i don't mean any offense by this.  But would rather see you succeed on a first small grow than fail on a 1st big grow.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Re: critique my noobness [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #498938 - 11/17/10 07:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
But would rather see you succeed on a first small grow than fail on a 1st big grow.

QFT
This might be the best advice you get off this board.

InvisiblePandor

#498945 - 11/17/10 07:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So what about just using one 4x4 light my first time around with the option to add/ turn on the other one when I work out the kinks with my first grow?

Quote:

jkell said:
Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
But would rather see you succeed on a first small grow than fail on a 1st big grow.

QFT
This might be the best advice you get off this board.

is this close enough to following that advice?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder