Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ THIS!!! *DELETED*
    #306116 - 10/29/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Post deleted by DrGreenThumb<p>Reason for deletion: I'm just a stupid noob that doesn't know nothing about nothing. Who was I to think that I could write a Tek that might actually help someone out? pfft. If you want the info feel free to PM me. As for the rest of you,  :doublefu:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Edited by DrGreenThumb (11/05/09 09:30 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMasterHerbalist
MH:Jahsun
Male User Gallery

Loc: middle a
Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ THIS!!! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #306128 - 10/29/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hell yeah! Nice job dude, pics are great.

OfflineKine

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ THIS!!! [Re: MasterHerbalist]
    #306185 - 10/29/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Output results please? (numbers, lumens tester)  I see the light is more bright; but whats the exact gain for the plants?  Whats the loss of bulb life?  How long have you been overdriving safely? 

I just still think a HO T-5 would be better... what if you overdrive one of those? kidding...

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: Kine]
    #306397 - 10/29/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry no lumen tester. The result is more light, more light equals bigger, badder, and budder plants. One of the posters that I found uses overdriven floros for peppers. He says that it reduces space between internodes and he gets better canopy penetration. Not sure about bulb life but from my research, others say that regular overdriven T-8's have lasted them over 2 years.
If you're like me and run your veg lights 24/7/365 and replace your bulbs every year (because of decreased lumen output over the life of the bulb) then bulb life is not much of an issue. Replacing old T-8's is marginal compared to the cost of replacing T-5's. In the long run, you save money any way you look at it.
Not sure if you can overdrive T-5's but I don't see why not. If I can find a cheap T-5 fixture I'll give it a shot. On a side note, the guy Zink that I mentioned, says that these regular overdriven ballasts will have no problem driving HO T-5 lamps. I plan on making some jumpers in a few days and testing it out for myself. I'll let ya'll know how that turns out.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineKine

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #306403 - 10/29/09 07:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hmmm, i still think its all hype.  Just like Adding Lumens... Lumens dont add; and i dont think this does much except maybe penetration.  Imma go in to work tommorrow and talk to the electricians...

Not saying your wrong; i just would like proof now that i see its functionality...

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #306419 - 10/29/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Shorter spacing between internodes and better penetration = bigger, denser buds. Given that everything else is equal; More Light = More Pot! THIS IS FACT!!! Just ask anyone who is growing. Please explain the hype.:rolleyes:

WTF is Adding Lumens? Never heard of this before. Why would I want to grow with a 1000W HPS as opposed to some CFL's??? Need I answer this?

--------------------

Edited by DrGreenThumb (10/29/09 08:15 PM)

OfflineKine

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #306495 - 10/29/09 10:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That is why its hard for me to just accept your information... you know little of lights.  Lumens is the light output intensity for humans.  Many feel lumens add up (IE 2 2600 lumen bulbs = 5200 lumens) and thats incorect.  (Lumens = 1 Candle foot watt)

And you being a little smart ass is un-needed. 

yes... shorter spacing is more and denser bud... but is this proven from light overdriving; or was that just one superb grow?  Scientific process... must be repeated 3 times with similar results.  Obv i know more and better light is better grows... Thats why i used a 400w HPS.  Im not a total noob.  And obv i know a little more about lights then you...

What im questioning is proof that you have better penetration.  The human eye takes in and uses light different then that of a plant.  So while we can SEE you made the light brighter... are you doing anything for the plant?  Is the color spectrum inhanced any?  Does it effect kelven range?  These are what i want to know... with proof.  Not some goon who made one work, and is trying to prove his theories yet has no idea what lumens are when its the REASON why someone uses HID over CFL... so i would be entertained by your explination of why i should use HID over CFL... you obv couldnt use any technical jargon...

Basically i see the physical side of doing this; i want technical.  Is overdriving a ballast worth the time and effort or is there HO T5's for a reason.  Grows are frowned upon for stupid electrical wiring... and pushing the limits of things... IE this.  I just see potential fire hazard and no positive gain...

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #306516 - 10/29/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Floro's are garbage. What now that it is over driven you can move the plants from 2 inches away from the bulbs to 4 inches. I've seen nice buds grown under floro's but a grow that I'm impressed with under floro's, comon lets get real now. :rofl2:

The fact that you found a way to double the light and if (and this is a big if) it isn't a fire hazard good work finding a way to do it. :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: Magash]
    #306804 - 10/30/09 07:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Kine, if you know so fucking much about lights why don't YOU have these answers? Google some overdriven ballasts and do the research yourself. I have better things to do than answer a shithead like you that has nothing better to do than belittle someone who put a lot of time and effort into researching this and building one to SHARE with others.
No it doesn't effect the K range. BTW I ALSO use a 400W HPS (for flowering). Funny how that works huh?
And Magash, despite all the good info I've garnered from you, you obviously didn't read. Here's the quote: "After all it's just for the veg room and this will put out more than enough light for that." I keep my floro tubes 1/4"-touching my plants. Guess what? They're STILL touching my plants, without burning.
It's bullshit like this that really makes me want to make contributions to this site. My daily rating for Growery::thumbdown:

The info has been out there for a while. Sorry you've been in the dark for so long. I know the feeling.
This is not a post about why HID's are better than CFL's. I'm not interested in technical jargon. I'm interested in RESULTS!!!

Edited by DrGreenThumb (11/05/09 09:23 AM)

OfflineKine

#306838 - 10/30/09 09:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

*snip* Ignorant; uneducated; stupid; and worthless.  You have nothing intelligent to say; and dont know how to act as part of a fourm. You preach to people; but dont know anything about what your preaching.

Im interested in RESULTS... i aint seein shit but a brighter light from your ass tho.  You can sit here and tell me how much better it is... yet have no idea why. 

Hmmm... i've been in the dark eh?  When did you post this?  Oh... days ago? So if  you've known of this awesome info that you belive to be so great... why are you just now talking about it?  I've heard of overdriving ballast; but thats stupid. Your pushing a electrical ballast PAST its working load.  Ill laugh when your shit burns down because your to cheap to get a MH or proper T5's...

Anyone have anything of intelligence to add to this?  Overdriving a ballast = Stupid... but is there any real gain?

Last: Its not overdriving the ballast at all.  Your just re-wireing the circuts; not reworking the ballast to a higher output...

Edited by coda (10/30/09 04:50 PM)

OfflineTomCollins

#306850 - 10/30/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

@ Kine:

Why do keep the sand in your vagina? Don't you understand it makes you act like a little bitch?

I don't understand people like you. People like you just walk into a room, pick a person and shit on their face for no reason. It's fucked up and it's stupid.

What kind of fucking questions are these anyway? This is a fucking marijuana forum. Who cares? He made the light brighter - good for him. Obviously your jealous that he made an awesomely bright cfl and that you didn't.

How do you have the energy to behave like a molested 4 year old but not to actually research this shit yourself? It's so worthless and trivial. Let him try it and see what happens.

If you want results, test this shit out yourself or STFU.

Asshole.

@ DrGreenThumb: I like your lights. :smile:

Edited by TomCollins (10/30/09 10:33 AM)

OfflineKine

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #306874 - 10/30/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hahaha... ok.  Sure. I ask a few simple questions; get a smartass remark from a little prick with no knowledge and im the bad guy. Then his little butt buddy comes along to protect him as well. Cool...

Again... anyone have FACTUAL info to post on this.  Not some random noob gibberish. Anyone that knows ANYTHING about lights?

OfflineTomCollins

#306876 - 10/30/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"Wah wah wah, me want facts." Why are you so lame Kine?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ -8THIS!!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #306921 - 10/30/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Why don't you follow the links if you want FACTS retard? You asked for them and there they are. Quit whining.
Nigger? Uneducated? Stupid? Worthless? You seem to be the IGNORANT one here. Trying to turn my brilliant post into a name calling contest seems a little immature. Sorry I can't bring myself to make a comeback and stoop down to your childish level.
I found out about overdriving about a week ago. I just got around to actually doing it because I HAVE A LIFE.

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #306924 - 10/30/09 01:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The name calling got ya 3 days each. Take it to the fucking dome.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ THIS!!! *DELETED* [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #486646 - 10/10/10 08:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
Post deleted by DrGreenThumb<p>Reason for deletion: I'm just a stupid noob that doesn't know nothing about nothing. Who was I to think that I could write a Tek that might actually help someone out? pfft. If you want the info feel free to PM me. As for the rest of you,  :doublefu: 

Sorry to see you delete this.  I have done lighting design and not only is this possible but it is frequently done and based upon sound science.  The method I have always used just involved finding a ballast with a high ballast factor, like 1.15 or something like that.  You end up burning more energy, but it is proportional to the amount of extra light you get.  You also shorten the life of the lamps a bit, but some lamps can take it better than others (from what I recall, Philips lamps handle it much better).

Websites for the major ballast manufacturers, like Advance Lighting or Universal Ballast, keep their catalogs on line.  Look up the type of lamp you are using, the correct voltage & number of lamps, and the look at the ballast factors.  Most ballasts come with a wiring diagram right on the ballast, so they are pretty easy to replace.

***EDIT*** Just went back and tried to sort through some of the pisssy stuff.  It sounds like you found a way to double the light output.  I am assuming this will have a huge drop in life of lamp, but possibly still be cheaper then the T5 technology.  I would like to see your ideas posted again.  My guess is you have found a way to do a variation on what the manufacturers do, but that you take it to a further extreme than they.  Most ballast manufacturers would not want to sacrifice huge losses in lamp life simply because in professional settings the cost of the lamp is really minuscule compared to the labor and soft costs of frequent replacements.

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Edited by CrayolaHalls (10/10/10 08:13 AM)

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: OVERDRIVEN BALLASTS!!!!! Before U buy a T-5 floro READ THIS!!! *DELETED* [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #486785 - 10/10/10 08:11 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

lol...dam ..i missed 10,10,10,10,10,dam

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds