Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
Loc: like 30,000 ft.
First Grow (Would love some assistance)
    #496248 - 11/08/10 08:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Okay guys, I've decided to take a crack at making my own cannabis grow. I have done some research and am going to put on here what I have so far, and future plans. I am open to any criticism you may have.

Okay, I will start with posting a few pics of my grow area. For starters, it is a "sub-closet" inside of my main closet.

So the dimensions of my area are roughly 2.5 x 2 x 5.5.

The ceiling in the smaller closet is angled at a 45 degree angle, with the height increasing as you progress towards the door.. **Sorry for crummy pics"

Tools/hardware I have currently/have plans to get-
1. Fan
2. Power Strip
3. Timer
4. Distilled Water
5. Small egg-carton like container for seeds (open for alternatives here b4 transplanting)
6. Good soil (Organic, with vermiculite preferably..Again open for alternatives) Have a bunch in garage but I am looking for a good one w/ High N for veg.
7. Ph meter
8. Cost-efficient way to maintain temperature .
9. Cost-efficient light source (HPS 250 W?)
10. SEEDS- Might have a friend who will sell me some.. 5 a pop? That a deal? He says it's straight purp, but that doesn't really help me much with setting up my grow.

If you look at one of the pictures, you can see that there is an angle in the ceiling, that it is not flat. The angle is pretty close to 45 degrees. The maximum height is closest to the door, at about 5 and a half feet.

How many seeds do you guys think would be good to start with? How many plants should I attempt to grow given the area. 

Number 8 is important because there are small areas towards the back of the "sub-closet" that are exposed to the outside air. It's somewhat chilly in there (East Coast), and with it going into the colder months now, I need to figure out a way to keep my grow comfortably warm! (75 degrees) Suggestions here please

Thanks for your help and advice in advance guys. If all goes well, ~ 4 months from now

Edited by mcc23 (11/08/10 10:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: mcc23]
    #496254 - 11/08/10 08:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

First of all welcome! Looks like you've definitely done your research which is key, so good on you!

A 250W HPS would be perfect for that area, if you spent a little extra you could get a cool tube, and that combined with a few cheap computer fans for intake/outtake airflow would solve your heat and ventilation issues :thumbup:

As for soil, I know alot of members here use FoxFarm and love it to death, so look into that if you get a chance.

For an area of that size you could have maybe ~2plants, and with your area shaped as it is I think you would benefit greatly from a LST tek like a Scrog or tying them down   

Everything you need to know about LST is in this thread:
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/239247#239247

Good luck and I hope you make a log for us :awesomenod:

--------------------

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: T-Rex]
    #496260 - 11/08/10 08:47 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Rex, yea I read about HST and LST for a last night. Usually LST is used for smaller grows, I read. The only financial burden I see with this project of mine is the cost of the lighting. My roommate did a grow with a red lcd panel, and a blue lcd panel. Blue for veg, red for Flowering. They were cheaper, ran cooler, and were ~ 40 watts. Would a 250 hps cause significant difference on the electric bill? I guess I could put for my best effort to compensate but turning off all other unnecessary electronics : /

By the way, for soil, I just found some Sphagnum Moss in my garage.. I found this recipe for soil, I might use it

LC’s Soiless Mix #1:
5 parts Canadian Spaghnam Peat or Coir or Pro-Moss
3 parts perlite
2 parts wormcastings or mushroom compost or home made compost
Powdered dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.

Edited by mcc23 (11/08/10 08:56 AM)

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496264 - 11/08/10 08:53 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A 250 wouldn't really do much to your power bill, in Aus we have jacked electricity prices and my 400W didn't make much of a difference :shrug: if cost is a huge issue then I would recommend picking up a couple of CFL's >28W and using those.

And yes LST is used mainly on smaller grows as its harder to maintain  more than a few plants continuously with all the tying/weaving needed. I think LST would easily double your yield in that space while also eliminating the risk of running out of hight in your room

--------------------

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
    #496267 - 11/08/10 09:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yea I agree. My only worry is that since I will have so few plants, and since its my first grow, somethings bound to go wrong. That doesn't mean I'm going to fail, but we have to be realistic here. I've looked up several different methods of making SCROG screens and what not. I think it would be worth attempting this method, as well as the tie-down method, since I'm only working w/ 2 plants..

Once I get my little seedlings, I'm going to use the paper towel method for germination. I have a pair of tweezers laying around as to avoid any sort of shock to the seed..

Until I get my light situation sorted out, what could I use as a light source for my seeds? I have a small desk lamp I could use.

Does anyone recommend using the Jiffy cups after germination, then to 2 gal. Suggestions? I'm headed to the hardware store today so I want to get anything else I need in one trip....

The 250 seems to be the move to make, Rex. Thanks in advance for the help

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496269 - 11/08/10 09:09 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Trust me with a space like that alot more would go wrong if you didn't LST than if you did. The grow I'm doing now was the first time I had ever used a LST tek and I found it alot easier than I thought it would be. Don't prepare yourself for failure, read up and get to know what your going to be doing before you do it, and even if it goes to shit, there is an entire forum on this site dedicated to helping out people with problems so don't stress!

If your out at the hardware store try to grab at least one or two CFL's if you can, they're cheap and will fit into most lamps and such if you get one with the correct fitting, and that would do seedlings fine until you got the 250HPS installed :thumbup:

Here is my log if you wanna see how I've done my LST
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=7&Number=472891&PHPSESSID=&fpart=1#472891

--------------------

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
    #496287 - 11/08/10 09:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm abt to ask my buddy for those seeds.. I figured the biggest determinant in how many seeds i get would have to be the method of germination? For simplicity purposes, I was going to go with the paper towel method. I read that its success rate is in the ball park of 80%, or 8 of 10 seeds. That's covered. At 5 bucks a seed, would 4 seeds suffice? Figured 2 full plants.  Or should I get 6 to be safe?

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496292 - 11/08/10 09:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I've always used the wet paper towel method with great results, I've only ever had 3 seeds that didn't pop and they were from the same batch so I'm pretty sure it was them. Grab 6 seeds if you can, unless they're fem you're gonna have a few males to kill along the way

--------------------

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
    #496307 - 11/08/10 10:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

He says that they are fem seeds.. I can look at em b4 i buy em too. I'm probably going to pick them up today or tomorrow..

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#496308 - 11/08/10 10:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If they are all feminized then pick how ever many  you wanna buy, but I would stick to no more than 4 if I were in your situation, but you may want more and that's cool too

--------------------

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
    #496313 - 11/08/10 10:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Added a pic to my OP of the containers I found to use for the first 2 weeks or so..I also found a few containers ranging from 1 - 2.5 gallons. I don't have 2 of the same size so I figured I could experiment and see if letting the smaller container veg an additional week, along with additional LST. The goal is to see if longer veg period or larger container is more fitting for greater yield. My guess is that the larger container will be the bigger factor..We'll see.. off to the store.

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
    #496506 - 11/08/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

bro you will never notice a power bill increase from a 250. Hell my big screen plasma tv uses almost 600 watts

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger
Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #496562 - 11/09/10 06:59 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Okay, I just wanted to be sure. Last thing I need is a prick in a badge at my door.. : / I should hopefully be getting my seeds from my friend today. I plan on the 1st few weeks doing the 16 oz SOLO cup method. (clear inside a red cup) then transplanting to a 3 gal.

I've also heard of people using the Jiffy Peat pots. So you just stick them in the bigger pot after that 3-4 week period? Anyone suggest one or the other? Differences are not significant. Delicacy w/ the SOLO cups seems to be key since every transplant is putting a great deal of stress on the roots....tks guys in advance

My soil in the 16 oz cup/jiffy cup will consist of 50% Pro-Mix, 35 % verm 15% perl. Should I use the same mixture in my final transplant pot? (3 gal). I heard this is to avoid shocking the roots.

One final thing- about the Fox Farms line.. I also read that if you use FF soil, that it provides enough of the nutes you need for the seedling stage .(up to 3 weeks) Opinions?

Offlinemuse42
Zomberrific

Loc: West Coast
    #496720 - 11/09/10 08:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I use fox farm Ocean Forest and don't start feeding until week 2-3.  I love the stuff.  I add a little extra Perlite, but this is not needed.

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger

Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: muse42]
    #497244 - 11/11/10 07:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Update- I had 2 of my 3 seeds successfully germinate today. I planted em in small peat moss cubes (pic above). I'm only using regular "EarthGro" potting soil atm. When I transplant to the 3 gal containers I hope to have some FFOF and some extra verm.. Gonna use distilled water through the grow..I plan on getting a 250 w HPS soon. I have an 11 w flouro on em right now. I found a pair of 120 W flood lights. They say soft white. I figure when I find a suitable socket, I can add them in.

So far so good. Will update soon.

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #497738 - 11/13/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You will like the Fox Farm Ocean Forest.

My results with it

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger

Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: Magash]
    #499236 - 11/18/10 05:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I see temperature control being a problem once I transplant into the 3 gals, then put em in that sub closet.It gets too cold in there for the plants to sustain life.. I can't afford a grow tent or anything like that right now. I laid down some blankets to cover exposed wood..Any inexpensive ways to make something to put the pots in that can stay 75-80 degrees, and that can hold my hps light.? Thanks in advance

Offlinejkell
Midnight toker

Loc: Don' worry bout it
    #499340 - 11/19/10 04:26 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Space heater to warm the grow area up? Who needs a tent... IDK just an idea:shrug:

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger

Re: First Grow (Would love some assistance) [Re: jkell]
    #499365 - 11/19/10 07:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have one of those. I was actually using it in the room to heat it up. It's supposed to shut off once it reaches the desired temp (I have it at 75 degrees). The prob is that it never shuts off. I was thinking that the small open areas leading to the outside would provide good fresh air, but its just too cold. I'll give the space heater another shot.

I found a large computer box in my closet (approx 3.5 ft tall). I was thinking I could use it when the plants are in the 1 gal pots. Perhaps it would be easier to control the temp then. I figured I'd just line the box with some a white fabric to help keep the heat..

Invisiblemcc23
Stranger

#499777 - 11/20/10 09:40 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The one in the back looks small because it fell over and came out :/. I put it back in and seems to be alright..

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract