Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Getting back into the pipe business.
    #493384 - 10/30/10 02:39 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A friend of mine owns a headshop (that I helped him get started back in the day), and now he wants me to make him a bunch of pipes so he can take them to the C.H.A.M.P.S. trade show next February.

I've done some research and as far as I can tell, nobody has used carbon fiber or kevlar in pipes yet, so I'm making him some dugouts that are made of carbon fiber on the outside, and kevlar on the inside. (kevlar is more abrasion resistant, and will stand up to people digging around with their oneies.) I may make some anodized titanium oneies to go in the dugouts, too.

Also, I'm making some cheap ceramic pipes, so I got the stone age, and the space age things respectively going on. Maybe I could do some kind of ancient astronaut theme.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #493390 - 10/30/10 06:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have a buddy who runs a smoke shop...and you wouldn't believe the amount of people that go in there and buy "home-made" type bongs...well, if you keep them priced reasonably.

He goes out and buys ceramic wizards and castles and shit, drills them, grommets them, puts a stem in and they sell like fucking crazy.

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisibleltd
 User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: Baby_Hitler] * 1
    #493401 - 10/30/10 07:13 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

make sure to post pics of the finished product

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: ltd]
    #493412 - 10/30/10 07:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ltd said:
make sure to post pics of the finished product

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisibledutchmushroom
Gratefuly Dead
Male

Loc: Dodge
Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: mhbound]
    #493413 - 10/30/10 08:08 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I had a COMPLETELY different thought pop into my head when I read the title :grin:

Good luck in your creative venture!

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill"

"The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began"

250w Digital HPS Growlight kit, ballast/lightbulb/reflector +Organic Botanicare Pure Blend Pro nutes Sale or Trade

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #493422 - 10/30/10 08:27 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:lolocaust:

I will pay 5 dollars extra if the brand name is Baby Hitler

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #493427 - 10/30/10 08:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
A friend of mine owns a headshop (that I helped him get started back in the day), and now he wants me to make him a bunch of pipes so he can take them to the C.H.A.M.P.S. trade show next February.

I've done some research and as far as I can tell, nobody has used carbon fiber or kevlar in pipes yet, so I'm making him some dugouts that are made of carbon fiber on the outside, and kevlar on the inside. (kevlar is more abrasion resistant, and will stand up to people digging around with their oneies.) I may make some anodized titanium oneies to go in the dugouts, too.

Also, I'm making some cheap ceramic pipes, so I got the stone age, and the space age things respectively going on. Maybe I could do some kind of ancient astronaut theme.

Are you going to use some kind of ablation product on the inside so the heat from lighters, smoke etc doesn't release fumes from the resin? Are you going to use Polyester resin or Epoxy resin?

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #493467 - 10/30/10 10:33 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thats exactly what I was thinking, both materials he's talking about are gonna burn when flamed.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: DieselB]
    #493480 - 10/30/10 10:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

definitely. The cabon fiber itself definitely won't burn, but it's floppy as any other cloth before you apply resin of some sort, and that definitely burns.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
    #493494 - 10/30/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm using the best epoxy there is (West System All-Weather), and the pipes aren't made from carbon fiber, just the box/tube that the pipe/weed goes in.

I may use something else to line the weed compartment to keep from getting epoxy in the weed. Right now, I'm thinking I'll use aluminum, but maybe wood or bamboo.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#493496 - 10/30/10 02:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Not getting epoxy in my weed is a fantastic idea, and would definitely be a deciding factor in whether or not I would buy it.

YOURE THINKING ABOUT IT? HOW ABOUT IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY. I don't smoke glue.....Or aluminum.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #493497 - 10/30/10 02:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
I smoke aluminum.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Getting back into the pipe business. [Re: DungenessDank]
    #493498 - 10/30/10 02:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:strokebeard:

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineBaby_Hitler
    #493518 - 10/30/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
Not getting epoxy in my weed is a fantastic idea, and would definitely be a deciding factor in whether or not I would buy it.

YOURE THINKING ABOUT IT? HOW ABOUT IT SHOULD BE MANDATORY. I don't smoke glue.....Or aluminum.

The bottom of the weed chamber will definitely be wood. It's the sides that I'm still trying to work out.

Also, aluminum is harmless.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#493524 - 10/30/10 03:49 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I know you know more about this than me I'm just trying to spark convo...Don't take it personally.

I'm pretty sure smoking from aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer or memory problems(at least so its been rumored and I think its because the patients have high levels of aluminum in their blood). Now I found this one and I know its a lot of speculation but you can read for yourself and browse around that there is some substance to this "fairytale"...Either way I want no part of it.

I think aluminum and copper are the two most toxic to smoke from.

Quote:

What Is Known About Aluminum Foil

Aluminum foil is very pure- in fact it is 99.9% pure, with the .1% being various residues from the manufacturing process that are burned off at low temperature and other impurities found within the material.

Humans contact aluminum from various sources throughout their everyday routines. Common uses for aluminum are: food (naturally occurring) & food additives, antacids & other pharmaceuticals, cooking utensils, soil, drinking water, air, and electronics.

Aluminum has a shiny and a dull side- there is no difference to the two sides, this is caused by the manufacturing of aluminum. The sheets are too thin to cut one at a time, so they cut two pieces at a time, causing a shiny and dull side.

Average human intake of aluminum is around 3grams (a little higher inCanada because the drinking water is treated with higher concentrations of aluminum).

Aluminum, at temperatures below melting point, does not give off gas or vapor.

What Is Alzheimer’s Disease?

Alzheimer’s Disease is a progressive disease that affects the brain- causing mental deterioration, disorientation, depression, memory lapses.

When studies have been perform on patients with Alzheimer’s Disease scientist have found that patients have high concentration (10-30 times the normal) of Aluminum in their systems.

Studies were conducted in order to find out if people who drink water with high concentrations of aluminum had a higher risk at developing Alzheimer’s Disease. These studies did show there was an increased risk- HOWEVER, studies have been done where individuals drank water without being treated with aluminum and found the same risk of developing Alzheimer’s.

These two test indicate that there may be genetic reasons why some individuals develop Alzheimer’s.

Studies performed on patients have not found a common factor in the development of Alzheimer’s Disease

Scientist do not know if Alzheimer’s Disease causes higher concentrations of aluminum, or if it is caused by high concentrations of aluminum.

Smoking Using Aluminum Foil

Most brands of aluminum foil (Renoyld’s Wrap with the anti-stick coating and similar brands being the exception), are untreated and remain 99.9% aluminum (again with the .1% being residues and other agents in the manufacturing process)

In order to inhale aluminum it would have to be changed from a solid to a vapor. This requires a lot of heat. More heat than what it produced by a butane lighter. A butane lighter is not even capable of melting aluminum, if a lighter fails to melt the aluminum, it will not be able to change the aluminum into a vapor.

Conclusion
I put this together so individuals can make an educated decision on if they want to use aluminum foil for smoking marijuana.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#493525 - 10/30/10 03:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

and lets say what i said above is true to only 1 person out of 1000 or 5000....Thats 1 too many IMO.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineBaby_Hitler
    #493535 - 10/30/10 04:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Tea is high in aluminum.

I am personally confident that nobody is going to get alzheimers from smoking out of aluminum, but the urban legend does deter some people from buying aluminum pipes.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

#493571 - 10/30/10 06:23 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
I'm using the best epoxy there is (West System All-Weather), and the pipes aren't made from carbon fiber, just the box/tube that the pipe/weed goes in.

I may use something else to line the weed compartment to keep from getting epoxy in the weed. Right now, I'm thinking I'll use aluminum, but maybe wood or bamboo.

West systems is the best epoxy there is? :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:West systems is the best if you're building a boat. For high stress or high temperature applications it is absolutely not the best bet. Aeropoxy is good but it's still only rated to about 200C or so, if you really want to prevent any sort of risk (and trust me, you do) then you'll need to invest in some legitimate high temperature epoxy resin.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
    #493589 - 10/30/10 07:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why would I need a high temperature epoxy?
Like I said, the pipes are not made of carbon fiber.

In your defense, "the best epoxy there is" was probably an overstatement. The WS 105/207 resin is extremely clear, and UV resistant.

It's the best I've found, so far, for this particular application.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#493600 - 10/30/10 07:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So then what is the 'bowl' part going to be made of? And you have to remember the "globe" part that goes around the cone of the bowl, has to able to withstand REALLY high temps, because its basically getting hit with blow torch temperatures at times with just a Bic..

I think if you posted some pics of what you are talking about, it would help a lot, because your design just isn't coming across clearly.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom