Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery
first time growing, Worth it?
    #491004 - 10/24/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So, obviously this being my first time, me and my girlfriend were blazing and picked out all the seeds and set them aside not know the table was wet. we come back two days later nd the seed had opened up and we went crazy. So we put it in a pot, and put it on the roof (first idea) and now two weeks into it everything was looking pretty good.
now while everything could be done a whole lot better i think it is working fine, now my first question is. i checked the Ph of the soil and it was 6.5 is that bad or good? shud i b trying to raise the Ph or lower it?
We are only growing one plant atm and i just dont even know where to begin, the lighting fizture we had before set it less than 2" from the top of the plant and it was working great, but between school and other shit we are not running a consistent time of light fr the plant, what should i be doing about this? i was thinking of having it on 18 hrs. then off for 6 hrs, but the past few days its been running more light than running less light. any comments? also if i shud b using a light timer does anyone have a recommended brand?  We had a nice set-up in the garage before where we hung the light down to meet the plant, because of how sketchy it was, and she being on probation we spent a day in the garage and have it up in a way less sketchy area, but now we r bringing the plant to the light. the light is about 3-4 inches to the left of the plant and does not hang nearly down as close to the plant as before, could any  of this be bad for the plant? And also how close shud the light be to the plant? cuz before with it 2" inches from it it was growing good, but now u can tell that the plant is growing a little off-set trying to reach the light. im not sure exactly what to do, And also how often should i be watering it? we started off wth every other day and now were not completely sure, the soil is still moist so im guessing that we shud wait till the soil is crusty-like to water it again. (sorry for so many questions) How long shud we b waiting to make the transition to the flowering stage?
any feedback, comments, answers, etc. would be so greatly appreciated.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: skeeter420]
    #491030 - 10/24/10 11:07 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

i checked the Ph of the soil and it was 6.5 is that bad or good? shud i b trying to raise the Ph or lower it?

6.5 is fine for soil.

Quote:

i was thinking of having it on 18 hrs. then off for 6 hrs, but the past few days its been running more light than running less light. any comments

Yah, get the plant onto a consistent veg cycle, whether 18/6 or 24/0, constantly fluctuating light cycles are not good for the plant.

Quote:

the light is about 3-4 inches to the left of the plant and does not hang nearly down as close to the plant as before, could any  of this be bad for the plant? And also how close shud the light be to the plant?

Direct light is always best, but having the light source offset by a few inches isn't going to ruin you.  As for distance it depends on the type of light you have, you can let your plants grow into the bulbs if you're using fluro (id still keep them an inch or two away from the bulbs), but need to keep a HPS light a foot or more away depending on how strong it is.

Quote:

im not sure exactly what to do, And also how often should i be watering it?

you water when the soil is dry, either buy a soil moisture meter, do the knuckle test, or the pot lift test.  If you stick your index finger up to the first knuckle and it's bone dry, or, if your pot feels much lighter then a pot thats been watered, it's time to feed.  Depending on the size of your container and how much the roots have grown you could be feeding as little as once a week to as much as once per day.

Quote:

How long shud we b waiting to make the transition to the flowering stage?

Depends on how much room you have to flower, how big of a plant you want, what method you will be using to grow, etc.  However, I personally like to wait until the plant shows alternating nodes before placing them into flowering.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: coda]
    #491067 - 10/24/10 01:41 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:smile:Okay well any suggestions on a light to use, it's only one plant (strain unknown) also i was gonna make a grow tent, not that big, where could i go to get all of the lighting fixtures and everything so the light when i buy it is ready to hang.
It's roughly about 3 weeks into the veg state from seeding, starting pretty soon i was gonna add nutrients, any good ones to suggest?

another random question, some times when i have been blazing i will "smoke out my plant" and exhale the smoke on it, in no way did/ nor still do i think it will enhance it anyway, but if it wud or if anyone has done this, and something has come of it that'd b chill.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #491079 - 10/24/10 02:14 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

but if it wud or if anyone has done this, and something has come of it that'd b chill.

It won't do anything to increase yield or potency, but I'll admit to rolling up a fattie and just sitting in my flowering cab looking at my girls.  Something about being around all my plants that's just peaceful and relaxing.  A good buddy of mine once said he missed growing not for the bud, but for the ability to sit with his plants and meditate.  I have to agree with him on that, I could spend hours in my grow area (and often do) just being around my plants.

Quote:

Okay well any suggestions on a light to use, it's only one plant (strain unknown) also i was gonna make a grow tent, not that big, where could i go to get all of the lighting fixtures and everything so the light when i buy it is ready to hang.

Well I always suggest getting a HPS light because, besides the sun, there's nothing else out there that can compete with it.  However, if you're strapped for cash or don't have the means to run an HPS lamp, you can buy a bunch of CFL bulbs and use them.  Won't give you crazy yields, but you can grow some decent plants with them.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

#491144 - 10/24/10 05:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

i know what you mean, everytime im out by my plant, i just gota look at it. I know just the fact that u are growing it, and im  no huge supplier, just one plant but its (no homo) a beautiful thing. Especially once u harvest, knowing u grew your own supply. its rewarding.
CFL's are compact fluoro's im assuming, and HPS lamps do they get really hot? would setting up an Xbox fan help cool the temp. down (if needed)
What's a good store to go to for a CFL or HPS lamp/light, and do they come ready to hang? and i'm not using a 1 gallon pot, sadly idk the size its not very big, should i move to a bigger pot when adding nutrients, and whats the ratio of the nutrients-to-water that i put in.

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
    #491366 - 10/25/10 07:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
I could spend hours in my grow area (and often do) just being around my plants.

Seconded. I sit with my girls and sing them songs every day or two late in flowering. God, I love them so much, I wish I didn't have to confine them to a small area like that. I wish they could just come along with me, like a dog or something :lol:

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: RasJeph]
    #491367 - 10/25/10 07:11 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Last year I used to drag my outdoor plants around the yard to where ever I was smoking, I would get a plank of wood, put it in between the pots like a bridge, and use it as a desk for my bong, drinks, cig or anything I happen to have on me. I love sitting with my plants so much man, once you do it you will miss not being able to

--------------------

Edited by T-Rex (10/25/10 08:02 AM)

OfflineInbred_gimp
Herb Connesuir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Beyond the wall of sleep
Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: T-Rex]
    #491373 - 10/25/10 07:59 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

T-Rex said:
Last year I used to drag my outdoor plants around the yard to where ever I was smoking, I would get a plant of wood, put it in between the pots like a bridge, and use it as a desk for my bong, drinks, cig or anything I happen to have on me. I love sitting with my plants so much man, once you do it you will miss not being able to

i definitely miss sitting with my ladies.

Time used to pass by so quickly in their company.

i would recommend getting an HPS light if you can afford it and light timer , and maybe a fan for some air movement. I definitely think its worth giving this grow a shot, a light wont cost that much.

--------------------

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: Inbred_gimp]
    #491425 - 10/25/10 10:50 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

okay, well after searchin on google and gregslist i found a few good HPS lights, and ive come up with this.
1 x 150w HPS light
comes with reflector
timer
now i know the HPS are ideal for flowering, but that they will still maintain a good grow in the veg. state
its only a month in a few days, from seed and its only one plant so i figured instead of jumpin out and getting a 600w or 400w just get a 150.
and comments?

--------------------

Offlinepunkrocker292004
Stranger

#491626 - 10/25/10 08:16 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

how mucj is i have one i love it  but ide suggest yo get some good fem seeds also

--------------------
on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero-tyler durden

MHRB

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: punkrocker292004]
    #491639 - 10/25/10 08:28 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

150W HPS would be alot better, especially during flowering, grab one if you can, a member called Inverted on this site had 4clones under a 150W HPS with come extra CFL and had excellent results :thumbup:

Quote:

punkrocker292004 said:
how mucj is i have one i love it  but ide suggest yo get some good fem seeds also

:uhhwhat:

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#491642 - 10/25/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

HPS will be fine, I got lazy this grow and didn't even put my MH bulbs in for veg, and honestly, I didn't notice a difference.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: DieselB]
    #491696 - 10/25/10 11:04 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

:shrug:
Quote:

DieselB said:
HPS will be fine, I got lazy this grow and didn't even put my MH bulbs in for veg, and honestly, I didn't notice a difference.

I have hps and also for veg a 8 blb t5 I think the hps is superior even during veg:shrug:  Maybe just me but hps all the way

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #492897 - 10/28/10 05:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Update:

the plant will be a month in a few days, sadly i dont have pics.
Is there any way to tell the sex this early with the plant?
Also i i got the 5 finger discount on a small container of Miracle grow all purpose, im pretty sure that the one, i just know its miracle grow, it's 24-8-16 i think, too much nitrogen? and wud the Ph tell if the plant is getting to much? i was gonna check it in a few days but dont wanna catch it late if it's un-healthy.
Umm i still am using the long tube fluorescent, 2 bulbs,  it says 40w on one bulb but the other one doesnt have any writing on it, so is it 80 watts, also it's 3000 lumens is that enough for a single plant?

Also when can i start training the plant, i was planning on low stress, does anyone have a link to a good guide to the low down and how too?

--------------------

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

#492937 - 10/28/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

If you were gonna steal shit, I don't know why you would steal Miracle grow...

--------------------

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: T-Rex]
    #492942 - 10/28/10 07:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Stealing grow supplies is a great way to bring awesome karma onto your plants, way to go!  :hmm:

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

#492969 - 10/28/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

aww man, didnt think bout that. BAd karma is a bitch,
asides from that any feedback?

--------------------

InvisibleMR.HEADY
PorchMonkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Toothless acres . West Vi...
    #493004 - 10/28/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
Stealing grow supplies is a great way to bring awesome karma onto your plants, way to go!  :hmm:

I have strong feelings about theives no matter on what level.. so now ill rate you

--------------------
[quote]FarBeyondDriven said:
Anybody ever tell you you're the result of a broken prophylactic in the back seat of a 74 Mercury?[/quote]

Invisibledutchmushroom
Gratefuly Dead
Male

Loc: Dodge
Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: MR.HEADY]
    #493134 - 10/29/10 10:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Check the link in my sig if you still need a light!

--------------------
"Comes a time when the blind man takes your hand says: don't you see? Gotta make it some how, on the dreams you still believe, Don't give it up, you've got an empty cup, only love can fill, only love can fill"

"The bus came by and I got on, and thats when it all began"

250w Digital HPS Growlight kit, ballast/lightbulb/reflector +Organic Botanicare Pure Blend Pro nutes Sale or Trade

Offlineskeeter420
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: first time growing, Worth it? [Re: dutchmushroom]
    #500346 - 11/23/10 03:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Update: 11/23

the plant is now 8 inches tall, the biggest set of leaves at the tip are bout 6 inches and im getting ready to start doing LST
i've been using MG nutrients and havve only had good results so far, a nd the Ph level of the soil is still around 6, is that too low or just fine? im not tripping about it yet.
my main queustion that is bothering me is how far should the light (its a 150 watt HPS light) be from the plant? its about 6 inches from the top and i just got shorter hooks so its gonna raise up to 8 inches from the top of the plant, now im pretty sure that is too close but nothing has goner wrong, the leaves r not drying up or shriveling up and dying.
i really wish i had a picture, which i will soon, but the root is not growing sideways but at the bottom it curved and is now growing straight up, i've tried to see how i would tie the root down but when i started i felt like i was putting too much pressure and felt it was going to snap, i might just be to nervous tying it dwon for my first time, but if anyone can give me tips. i was gonna put the pot in a milk carton holder thing(whatever u call it) and tie the string from the root to the carton, any thing else i could use that would make it easier?
The area where the plant is in usually gets a little too hot, but the weather has been cool lately so i have not had to worry bout that but can i mist the leaves with water? will that keep it more hydrated and make the leaves prosper more?
any feedback greatly appreciated, i'll have a pic up soon hopefully if i could  find my dam camera.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds