Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

Re: Mushroom Farmer Goes Green [Re: SmOakland]
    #427404 - 06/02/10 07:32 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If your referring to page 1, he all but killed them giving theme to me. Anyways, I used this stuff a couple days ago Sprayed at least 5ft around each plant, as well as directly on them. Hopefully it helps.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

Re: Mushroom Farmer Goes Green [Re: CaptainCaveman]
    #428867 - 06/04/10 06:34 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Checked on my gals yesterday and...
they are getting eatin the fuck up. Except a couple, which I find strange. My mutant is basically gone. Lost a couple seedlings as well. Unless the damage I see was caused by previous pests, this spray is garbage. Soooo discouraged...

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#450054 - 07/22/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

1 plant. Thats what Im down to... :frown: the ones that survived the weather/bugs/etc...were all male but 1... Oh well, that's what learning's all about.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #450076 - 07/22/10 04:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainCaveman said:
Plants are taking bad insect damage. Insecticide wont do any good when its raining every other day I figure. Hopefully next week I can afford some neem oil.

Just curious, what made you opt for (more expensive) ortho max over neem?

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

Edited by Crusty Ass Bastard (07/22/10 04:57 PM)

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: Mushroom Farmer Goes Green [Re: Crusty Ass Bastard]
    #450122 - 07/22/10 06:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Quote:

CaptainCaveman said:
Plants are taking bad insect damage. Insecticide wont do any good when its raining every other day I figure. Hopefully next week I can afford some neem oil.

He is outdoors man.  I don't think that neem oil would prevent hungry bugs from eating fresh foliage.

OfflineCrusty Ass Bastard
Pheno Hunting

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Farmer Goes Green [Re: SmOakland]
    #450369 - 07/23/10 09:29 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SmOakland said:
Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Quote:

CaptainCaveman said:

He is outdoors man.  I don't think that neem oil would prevent hungry bugs from eating fresh foliage.

Neem doesn't magically stop working when its used outside, so I don't see what relevance that has. Cannabis is hardly a blip on the radar of things neem is applied to, from spruce and fir trees (sawflies, webworms, leafminers) to most mangoes you buy at the supermarket. Neem only caught on in the west when a german scientist noticed only the neem tree stayed  green and healthy during a desert locust plague in Sudan that wiped everything else out. Even implying it won't work outdoors is just bunk man.

And FWIW, neem kills aphids and most other pests present the same day it is sprayed. Unlike most chemical alternatives it just needs to be applied vigilantly for a few weeks during veg and somewhat regularly during flowering. The only reason I asked the question is because had he started using neem a month ago like he hinted at pests never would have overtaken the plants. Wanted to hear more about his reasoning and offer some advice for next time since he was on the right path.

--------------------
|

Skunk Train (Most Recent) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed) | G13 Haze (Completed)
Cinnibis Rolls | Indoor Peppers

"The secret of improved plant breeding, apart from scientific knowledge, is love." -Luther Burbank

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #450533 - 07/23/10 05:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Crusty Ass Bastard said:
Neem doesn't magically stop working when its used outside,

My reasoning was that because this is a natural plant oil, it is a source of calories.  It is likely some insect would be able to digest it.  Indoors you likely only have one or maybe two species of insect as a threat to your plants, and neem oil will work on them.  Outside you have many species of leaf-eating bug and neem oil might not stop one of them.  I would think that an Ortho product would contain some terrible chemical that is deadly toxic to all invertebrates (but apparently it didn't work).

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#450535 - 07/23/10 05:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I got the OrthoMax for around $5 I think. It was readily available, unlike neem, which I couldnt find in my area. I found the major culprit, and would have been easily delt with using copper wiring. Take a guess? Damn slugs and snails...The weather is either hot and dry as hell here, or raining for days straight. The second biggest pest was mites. They love the climate here. I am happy with all I have learned, and all my small success'. I learned and successfully applied fimming, topping, low stress training, topiary, etc. As I smoke the 1/8th or whatever I get from my plant, I'll be already working on the next project :wink:

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#450537 - 07/23/10 06:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In all fairness, the environment has been really active here. I have seen an abundance of ALL insects and wildlife. The OrthoMax worked well actually, it was just too late for most. The kind of scenario where you walk onto your plot, and see sticks were leaves once were.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#468035 - 08/26/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well, here is my one and only female so far. Bad planning made me grow her "into" the light, hence her being layed down. I constantly kept the new tip down, causing the maybe 3 colas I have.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#473425 - 09/07/10 07:03 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Lol, I also fimmed the main tip just before flowering started. Here are the few the pics I could snap before I had to dodge a chopper.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

#479431 - 09/19/10 07:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Here we are, looking nice and healthy. Ive been very gentle with the nutes and think thats helped. Looking to chop in a week or 2. Sry for the crappy pic at the end. Its the tip, which from fimming turned into 3 half cola nugs.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

OfflineCaptainCaveman
Male

HARVEST [Re: CaptainCaveman]
    #482777 - 09/27/10 11:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well, I had to pull a week earlier than I wanted. There was some damaged nugs that had went to mould thanks to caterpillars. We are expecting a few good days of high humidity, heat, and rain. So, I pulled, trimmed, and here are some illustrations.
These are various nugs. Some too early, some just right.

This is what was left after the caterpillars were ejected from the buffet.

Well, look at that POUND!! Okay, so I fell short of my lofty goal, but I did learn alot. I still can accomplish a major motivator that originally set me into the field. I KNEW, lol, when smoking the bud this seed came from, that I could grow it sen semilla, as well as cure it better. Forgive my manicure, it was my first in a very long time, and I was ill prepared. Thanks for all your support. Its time to spark a bowl.

--------------------
Captains Grow Log

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds