Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSalviaNshrooms9090
Buddhist Monk
Male

Loc: Peru
marijuana and brain cells very very interesting
    #481969 - 09/25/10 04:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

WOW

here i though marijuana killed and desstroyed the brain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekeran7
Stranger
Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: SalviaNshrooms9090]
    #481984 - 09/25/10 07:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So you see one news segment claiming that marijuana doesn't make you dumber and your whole opinion on dope is changed? Man, you have been smoking too much.

News corporations are businesses don't forget that. Their bottom line is how much money they make, not the accuracy of what they're dishing out. Quite frankly, they don't give a shit. Money is of higher importance to them. This is a classic example of using buzz topics to get attention, and then to hold attention (see more ads), they claim the opposite of popular opinion (holding the attention of popularity = higher advertisement exposure).

use your head. do you feel more intelligent after a smoke? neither.

(However I do believe that dope helps me enlighten myself. But enlightenment and open mindedness is a world away from intelligence and physical brain growth).

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: keran7]
    #482014 - 09/25/10 09:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Do you guys know how that fucking study was done?  The one that used monkeys to demonstrate a growth in brain cell damage by smoking.  They basically suffocated the monkeys with the smoke and didn't allow the monkeys to get air with the smoke so, obviously, they suffered from some sort of neurological damage.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #482027 - 09/25/10 09:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:ignorethetroll:

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: NizzyJones] * 1
    #482028 - 09/25/10 09:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

We do not see things as they are, but as we are.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: King Koopa]
    #482033 - 09/25/10 09:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Meh... I prefer to think that people are being deliberately obtuse than to believe that they're really that ignorant. There's no reason to be that ill informed if you have an internet connection other than a deliberate effort not to learn.

OfflineKing Koopa
Natty
 User Gallery

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: NizzyJones]
    #482039 - 09/25/10 09:47 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

And that's what it is. They don't want to learn. Simply living life is enough for people. Their understanding is you live and learn. This is what I study from people around me.

What's the point of knowing a lot about nothing? Or getting back on subject, how does being cultured in the drug society help live your life unless you plan on living in it? I think that's what fractal is going through. He's looking for a way of life.

--------------------
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: King Koopa]
    #482040 - 09/25/10 09:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:

:lol:  touche!

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
    #482047 - 09/25/10 09:57 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

keran7 said:

You lose brain cells all the time, and no I do not feel any dumber when I get done drinking alcohol and killing brain cells.

If it does make you gain a small amount of brain cells, it would be unnoticeable. You wouldn't just feel smarter all of a sudden.

I'm no neurologist but I am pretty sure some types of brain cells have nothing to do with intelligence.

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #482053 - 09/25/10 10:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

keran7 said:

Yes I do. I smoked a huge joint and then went and set the grading curve on a graduate level biology exam. Out of 1500 kids I got the HIGHEST grade, 98% while blazed out of my head. My GPA my freshman year in highschool was 2.1, then I started smoking pot. Haven't gotten below a 3.4 since then, that's a 1.4 GPA boost simply from smoking pot.

--------------------

OfflineSteve Buscemi

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #482086 - 09/25/10 12:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I feel it makes me think. I can do anything on marijuana that I would do sober with near identical results, but while on marijuana I savor the moment. I've never bought into the marijuana makes you "dumb" or "dope is for dopes" nonsense propaganda. There have always been plenty of intellectuals thats use marijuana..........and there is still no proof of anyone smoking themselves into a dullard or mental defective.
It's all hype, marijuana is good, smoking is bad./

InvisibleiStoner
Astral Beast
Male

Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #482123 - 09/25/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ill watch in allittle while

--------------------

InvisibleLaysthepipe
Vivi Sex Symbol
 User Gallery

Loc: KOREA
Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: Steve Buscemi]
    #482133 - 09/25/10 02:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Steve Buscemi said:
marijuana is good, smoking is bad.

:fonz:

--------------------
:advisory:

“If you want to find out who your real friends are, sink the ship. The first ones to jump aren’t your friends.” — Marilyn Manson

This isn't the correct place to confront me on anything.

Forum full of dead stars, and a necro I called Coma White

Offlinekeran7
Stranger
    #482425 - 09/26/10 04:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

King Koopa said:

Well actually we here are discussing science which is really the art of determining things as they really are, as opposed to how we see them. But good try anyway (Y)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Quote:

keran7 said:

Yes I do. I smoked a huge joint and then went and set the grading curve on a graduate level biology exam. Out of 1500 kids I got the HIGHEST grade, 98% while blazed out of my head. My GPA my freshman year in highschool was 2.1, then I started smoking pot. Haven't gotten below a 3.4 since then, that's a 1.4 GPA boost simply from smoking pot.

And my grades went down when I started smoking dope in year 11. So what? One piece of anecdotal evidence doesn't really mean shit. My point was, it appeared that the OP was truly moved by that news piece and I was just trying to elucidate that news pieces that are part of commercial news are overly biased and of ill accuracy. Also it's quite sensationalist to really believe that marijuana aids in brain cell growth. There is enough sensationalist propaganda on the other side of the drug war, let's not accommodate it here by proclaiming weed to be better than it really is. Let's be realistic. Marijuana isn't going to grow your brain, but it's certainly not going to turn you into an anit-social schizophrenic either. Like I said, spread the truth, in all it's imperfection.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #482444 - 09/26/10 09:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's more sensationalist to believe that marijuana destroys your brain cells. In the absence of legitimate peer-reviewed publications on the subject I think siding with the decades-old propaganda is far less realistic than assuming that there may be some potentially positive effects.  You said yourself " that news pieces that are part of commercial news are overly biased and of ill accuracy," so why stick to the heavily biased anti-marijuana rhetoric of the last 70 years and claim that it kills your brain instead of embracing the possibility that there is potentially for a truly special and beneficial result? 

We've already seen tens of studies recently with a similar conclusion as this one;
" A significant reduction (~50%) in tumor weight and volume were observed in THC treated animals compared to the vehicle treated animals. THC treated animals also showed a significant (~60%) reduction in macroscopic lesions on the lung surface in comparison to vehicle treated control."
http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/2007/1_Annual_Meeting/4749

So how is it so hard to believe that there is an ability for THC to encourage other beneficial reactions within the body?

--------------------

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

#482447 - 09/26/10 10:15 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Or even more direct evidence that it can be good for normal brain tissue: http://www.jneurosci.org/cgi/content/abstract/21/17/6475

Quote:

Excitotoxicity is a paradigm used to explain the biochemical events in both acute neuronal damage and in slowly progressive, neurodegenerative diseases. Here, we show in a longitudinal magnetic resonance imaging study that Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Delta 9-THC), the main active compound in marijuana, reduces neuronal injury in neonatal rats injected intracerebrally with the Na+/K+-ATPase inhibitor ouabain to elicit excitotoxicity. In the acute phase Delta 9-THC reduced the volume of cytotoxic edema by 22%. After 7 d, 36% less neuronal damage was observed in treated rats compared with control animals. Coadministration of the CB1 cannabinoid receptor antagonist SR141716 prevented the neuroprotective actions of Delta 9-THC, indicating that Delta 9-THC afforded protection to neurons via the CB1 receptor. In Delta 9-THC-treated rats the volume of astrogliotic tissue was 36% smaller. The CB1 receptor antagonist did not block this effect. These results provide evidence that the cannabinoid system can serve to protect the brain against neurodegeneration.

(tl;dr version in bold)

And what really grinds my gears is that this paper was published just over nine years ago and we're still having this conversation.

OfflineFRACTALife
Rust Fuckin' Cohle
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Carcosa Flag
    #482458 - 09/26/10 11:02 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

THC is good, we all already knew that. :vaped: Let's just be glad more people are hearing this.

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#482476 - 09/26/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

keran7 said:
Quote:

King Koopa said:

Well actually we here are discussing science which is really the art of determining things as they really are, as opposed to how we see them. But good try anyway (Y)

yeah, but most people aren't scientists.  They aren't trying to get at the truth.  they prefer to be force fed data skewed by their own self interests.  He was just quoting what's in my signature.  There's no need to be 'that guy'.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineNothing Is

#482555 - 09/26/10 05:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I really do think pot is good for you in moderation.

OfflineShroomieGirl
Fear and Loathing
 User Gallery

Loc: TX
Re: marijuana and brain cells very very interesting [Re: Nothing Is]
    #482558 - 09/26/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

moderation... thats the key word there

if you overdo it then its no good... smoking anything too much kills brain cells

but i think weeds mostly okay, especially since it doesnt have the crap in it that cigs do

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies