Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info*
    #340060 - 01/04/10 03:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Tuesday Jan. 5Th the committee assigned by Maine's governor  is finalizing the rules and regulations for dispensaries/caregivers/patients. This will be the last meeting for them to discuss/deliberate amongst themselves. There are three big topics they are deciding on tomorrow. 

1. To allow warrant less police searches of dispensaries and caregivers/patients homes.
2. Requiring caregivers to go through an onerous registration process
3. Lastly the commit tie is toying with the idea of the centralization of growing operations needed to supply dispensaries with their medicine, thus putting the control of Medical Marijuana in the hands of large scale agri businesses.

This is complete shit. These ignorant committee members are trying to do whatever possible to make it difficult. It shouldn't be like this. Maine citizens were also supposed to be able to attend all these hearings...yet the committee sabotaged us yet again  by announcing the hearings the very second they began...instead of giving a weeks notice. So virtually no one was able to attend these hearings. Ironically the only hearing that has been announced is the LAST one. That is FUCKED.....but I guess that's politics for ya :shrug:

Time to go protest with all the other pissed off Mainers tomorrow afternoon....on the front steps of the capital building. Gotta go throw together a sign to hold up!

If this hits national news look for the guy with the sign blocking his face..ha! ....J/k

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

Edited by Farmer Joe (03/12/10 05:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Re: A big day for Maine MM patients [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #340657 - 01/05/10 09:00 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'll look for you on the local news. Wish I could join you there but I won't be passing through until the 6th.
This past November was only the second time I went to vote (the first was for Med Weed in general). Your right, it shouldn't be like this. And even though this may be a fumbled step toward dispensaries, ANY step in the right direction is welcome.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: A big day for Maine MM patients [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #341452 - 01/06/10 08:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I went to my state house yesterday. It was interesting to say the least.  We were actually able to sit in on the hearing. There were just as many journalist in there as there were supporters for the cause. It was a very long process. They took so long that they were unable to cover any of the major topics I listed in my previous post. They mainly discussed things like quality control and patient rights. The rest of the uncovered topics will be discussed Jan 15Th and then everything will be presented to the governor before it goes through the steps.

I personally was a bit disappointed in how a lot of advocates presented themselves in front of the committee while in the conference room. For starters it wreaked of weed and body odor inside the conference room.  Cell phones were ringing and people would blurt out comments when they disagreed with what panel members said.  I was appalled.  How can these committee members take this seriously if people continue to present themselves in such a way?  Shit I at least waited to pack a bowl until I pulled out of the parking lot..../end rant

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #341532 - 01/06/10 12:23 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wow man that's some fucked up politics for sure. I'll be looking for you on the news and rooting for your cause

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #341969 - 01/06/10 10:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah they're not going to get anywhere acting like that. that's for sure.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: A big day for Maine MM patients [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #342176 - 01/07/10 06:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks Harry...
We could use some good vibes.

FBD:
I hear you. We certainly do not need to be representing the face of ignorance here. I just hope that these members noticed the few people that presented themselves appropriately while in the hearing. In the end these committee members don't have the final say,  but the weight behind their words travel a long way.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #342899 - 01/07/10 11:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yeah that's politics man. the guys who were at the committee talk to a buddy who's on the committee that DOES make the decision and blah blah blah, know what i mean?

yeah people acting like that just represents the stereotypical image of "stoner potheads" to the older generation who is against MM and legalization in any form.:shrug:

they just don't understand that not everyone who smokes pot is like that.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: A big day for Maine MM patients [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #342952 - 01/08/10 06:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:werd:

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info* [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #382373 - 03/12/10 05:19 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Just a lil update on where we're at out here. Right now the gov. wants to require caregivers to turn over any excess medicine to be disposed of! That's ridiculous and I'm sure you all would agree. Skim through the article if you like. Oppinions on the subject are greatly desired...so tell me what you think! Thanks for poppin in :gethigh:

Questions abound on doling out medical pot

Despite months of work by a state task force on medical marijuana, significant concerns remain about the details of developing Maine's new voter-approved system of pot dispensaries.

They include who is authorized to grow medical marijuana, whether growers and dispensaries should be separate, and whether a quarter-pound of marijuana is enough for patients to use every month.

A bill to implement the Maine Medical Marijuana Act, L.D. 1811, had a public hearing on Thursday.

The legislation specifies that medical marijuana patients can grow up to six plants, hire caregivers who can assist no more than five patients, or buy marijuana from nonprofit dispensaries.

Rep. Anne Haskell, D-Portland and chairwoman of the Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee, wants to use the state's food safety standards to ensure medical marijuana is of high quality and available in significant volume.

She introduced an amendment to separate dispensaries from growing operations, and to require wholesale growing by authorizing only five growers in the state.

Individual patients and their caregivers still would be allowed to grow their own marijuana, however, as under the original bill.

"This approach will address concerns about diversion of product by having fewer growing operations," Haskell told the Health and Human Services Committee. "If we are to consider medical marijuana as a legitimate article of commerce, it is important for us to use a professionally regulated process."

Her proposal, she said, could help existing Maine farmers who wish to diversify their crops.

Haskell's amendment failed to garner vocal support, although Rep. Michael Celli, R-Brewer, said lawmakers in Oregon are considering legislation to have a limited number of state-run growing operations.

"It's actually a moneymaker for the state," Celli said.

The Legislature's Taxation Committee is considering how marijuana might be taxed. While prescription drugs are not taxed in Maine, medicinal herbs are.

Many patients, caregivers and growers of medical marijuana said that they were against centralized growing.

"It didn't work in Stalinist Russia, it didn't work in Maoist China and it doesn't work in the San Fernando Valley," said Jonathan Leavitt, of Sumner, executive director of the Maine Medicinal Marijuana Policy Institute.

Cynthia Rosen, of Washington, considers marijuana a natural remedy -- equivalent to the echinacea or garlic she grows -- rather than a medicine, and did not see the need for restrictions on how it is grown.

"When I look at putting the natural remedy into a higher regulatory climate, when is that going to trickle down to my echinacea and my garlic?" she asked the committee.

The Maine Civil Liberties Union spoke in opposition to the bill.

"The most concerning proposal in L.D. 1811 is the provision for 24-hour-notice, on-site assessment of patient growers or caregivers by the Department of Health and Human Services," said Alysia Melnick, public policy counsel for the organization.

She pointed out the 1999 law authorizing medical marijuana in Maine lacked this provision.

"Medical marijuana patients and the citizen caregivers who care for them deserve to be treated with as much dignity and respect for their privacy as any other citizen not suspected of wrongdoing," Melnick said.

Melnick also said the 2 1/2 ounces of marijuana allowed each patient every 15 days under the proposed bill was unreasonable.

"What are they supposed to do with the harvest excess -- destroy it?" she said.

Faith Benedetti, a patient advocate who served on the task force, also took issue with the possession limit as too restrictive.

"It assumes that the medicine will only be smoked, and does not take into consideration the many other methods of ingestion that a patient may choose," she said. "All of these alternate methods requires larger amounts of the raw herb to prepare."

She proposed an amendment to allow for more time to establish rules for the legislation.

The Health and Human Services Committee will hold a work session on the bill at 1 p.m. Tuesday in Room 209 of the Cross Building at the Capitol.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info* [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #404508 - 04/21/10 07:35 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Montel Williams to be the first speaker at an upcoming conference for Maine mmj advocates! The conference is in June. Not sure if I mentioned it already but there will be doctors there speaking as well. All new information about the updated laws for patients/caregivers will be available. All the necessary info for potential dispensary owners/operators and employees will be provided as well. If there are any Mainers lurkin round here that might be interested go here and purchase a ticket!!!

I will be there and hopefully one other member from this site as well.

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Re: Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info* (moved) [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #428103 - 06/03/10 08:13 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

This thread was moved from Growery News Service.

Reason:
Populating new Medical Marijuana & Activism forum.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

#451700 - 07/26/10 08:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

just a few photos from the conference I attended last month. It was very informative. We all received a larger packet full of info. As well as all the official rules and regulations regarding patients,caregivers and dispensary owners/operators. I was able to directly ask some of the panel members questions..which was really cool. No dispensaries as of yet out here. We've still got a ways to go...people are still pretty narrow minded on the subject....so things are moving pretty slow. Hopefully by the end of summer/early fall there will be some shops up. We'll see.  oh yeah...the 2nd pic in at the top is montel williams...blurry pic, but the bastard wouldn't stop pacing around..haha. He actually lit up a jib during his speach..everyone started cheering and shit...I laughed my ass off. Good times. All in all it was a great experience...I got some free bio bizz samples! haven't used any of it yet though.

--------------------

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #463617 - 08/19/10 03:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah man it's too bad people have to present the pro-cannabis position that way.

I really think if California's ballot measure passes we'll see a successful ballot measure in Maine a few years later. It's just a matter of framing it as an economic issue instead of a social one - there's just too much tourism potential there for Maine to turn it's back on.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info* (moved) [Re: NizzyJones]
    #464508 - 08/20/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I absolutely agree. As long as cali represents all of us well. How things go out there with legalization will undoubtedly affect everyone else. I look forward to the day that I'm planting a few rows of cannabis in my garden. :gethigh:

Welcome to the growery Nizzy!

--------------------

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
    #482001 - 09/25/10 08:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well DHHS has issued their regulations [PDF] for enforcing the law so we now have a better picture of how things will play out.

Something I saw right away that gave me a happy: for purposes of the law the number of plants a patient is cultivating only includes flowering plants over a foot in both height and diameter.

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Re: Maine's MMJ Act L.D. 1811 *updated info* (moved) [Re: NizzyJones]
    #482357 - 09/25/10 10:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Hell yeah man! That was brought up by someone @ the confrence I attended. Technically someone could flower AS MANY plants as they wanted as long as it's smaller than the demensions you listed. Kinda fucked up in a great way. When it was brought up someone in the crowd yelled "SEA OF GREEN!!!" and everyone busted out laughing...even the panel members....though I'm sure most of them had no idea what it meant. I also like the fact that a patient/caregiver or what have you....can keep as many mothers/ clones as they want. As long as they are not flowering it's alllllll good. 

Wish I had the funds for a setup....i'd love to be growing for a patient right now.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals