Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Container size...
    #479885 - 09/20/10 09:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, I'm wondering...just how much does container size effect the overall size of the plant?

I usually grow in pretty small containers...~1 gallon I'd guesstimate. With a recent experimental plant, I topped it twice and repotted her into a 3 gallon pot. This plant has the biggest buds I've had on her yet. I'm wondering if this is because of the pot size, or if its because she vegged longer from the topping?

So, in other words, will more root space exponentially increase the size of your finished plant? I know it has to have SOME positive effect, I'm just wondering to what degree?

Thanks!

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Container size... [Re: RasJeph]
    #479890 - 09/20/10 09:36 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

More rootspace the better, but indoors this is a touchy spot, because you lose floorspace with larger containers, so what formula I have been using since I learned it on OG many years ago.

The general rule of thumb, is 1 gallon for each vertical foot of growth, and I've had no problems using this ratio.

Outdoors is a different story.  Trees require massive rootspace.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Container size... [Re: Inverted]
    #480090 - 09/20/10 07:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
More rootspace the better, but indoors this is a touchy spot, because you lose floorspace with larger containers, so what formula I have been using since I learned it on OG many years ago.

The general rule of thumb, is 1 gallon for each vertical foot of growth, and I've had no problems using this ratio.

Outdoors is a different story.  Trees require massive rootspace.

I have plants in 2litres (less since the pots aren't completely full) of coco and I have plants that are like 3' tall and bushy as hell.

Soil supports about half the roots as coco if that. I have a plant I started in soil which is in 5gals of some quality soil, and I have a plant I transplanted to a 1.58 gal pot of coco and the coco plant is the same size, with less veg time, neither are rootbound yet so it's hard to say what the maximum size is. Coco definitely supports far more roots, and the roots grow quicker too.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Container size... [Re: maryanne3087]
    #480239 - 09/21/10 06:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Great info man.  I've been wondering about trying a coco run myself and that is good news.  :yesnod:

The higher CEC has been tugging at me for a while...

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Container size... [Re: Inverted]
    #480252 - 09/21/10 07:34 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've started looking at coir as a viable alternative to peat in my soil mixes because of its lower environmental impact, and the fact that it doesn't acidify the soil over time.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
Re: Container size... [Re: 81renaissance]
    #480269 - 09/21/10 09:06 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I've been interested in trying straight coco...I used it a few times to stretch my bag of Ocean Forest out a bit more...

I had some seedlings in straight coco...but I ended up mixing them back in with some soil because I couldn't figure out how to keep them happy :sad:

I might try to clone in some coco and do a bit of experimenting. A brick of that stuff is certainly cheaper than some nice soil...

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Container size... [Re: 81renaissance]
    #480272 - 09/21/10 09:18 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I was interested in using coco in soil also. I basically wanted to use a 75%+ composition of coco in my soil.

An issue or trait of coco I thought would be an issue is that the coco is fibrous and resistant to decay whereas the peat is already decomposed and continues to decompose rather rapidly in the soil. This trait of the peat makes it more ideal for soil since soil is largely living organisms.

I'm still not giving up on my coco soil quest, I know you can organically amend coco with success which I guess is in effect the same thing as a soil, just not as densely living. I've started some trials to test things out a bit, I also spoke to Crazycomposter on icmag who is a organic soil guru imo. I found it amazing the things I didn't know or think of when dealing with organic soil for the better part of my life.

I settled on a trial where I'd grow some plants in coco saturated with a dilute worm casting tea, then I'd add 5-10% worm castings to the coco, green sand to taste, and some perlite... I was planing on adding kelp meal,lime, etc but was told I wouldn't need the lime since coco starts off pH neutral and doesn't acidify much. I layer a quarter to half inch of soil/worm castings (rather heavy on the worm castings) I find that worm castings really make for vigorous seedlings, don't burn, yet provide nutrition for some time. I was then planning on raking in some guano into the surface of the soil and water it in, reapplying as it was used up. I was also planning on buying some sort of beneficial inoculate but I couldn't find some of the highly recommended/fairly cheap ones I'd been looking for. I'll admit I didn't follow my plans exactly and aborted the mission because the seeds I planted all turned out either male or hermie (3 for 3) so I'll need to restart my mission and possibly work on my soil a bit more.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #480273 - 09/21/10 09:28 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RasJeph said:
I've been interested in trying straight coco...I used it a few times to stretch my bag of Ocean Forest out a bit more...

I had some seedlings in straight coco...but I ended up mixing them back in with some soil because I couldn't figure out how to keep them happy :sad:

I might try to clone in some coco and do a bit of experimenting. A brick of that stuff is certainly cheaper than some nice soil...

I went coco after 20 years of soil. I'm still interested in exploring the world of soil so I can see if I prefer soil for my own personal stash or if soil has any merits over coco.

Coco is just badass, very easy to keep your plants happy if you have a pH/EC meter. I use General Hydroponics Floranova grow, also occasionally mix up some Flora Micro (6ml) + Bloom (9ml) or a 2:3 ratio mix. I add some Advanced Nutrients Barricade (potassium silicate), Epsom salts (Magnesium sulfate), and Calcium nitrate. The last two make for DIY cal/mag which is great for coco growers. The potassium silicate I find very useful because my stems tend to be very hollow and brittle without it because my plants are growing so quickly. I keep a pH of 5.5 and if I can't correct a magnesium deficiency I raise the pH to 5.8-6.

If you're interested in using coco, learn about the Cation exchange capacity/colloidal properties of coco if you're not familiar. Balancing your nutrients so that your K, Ca, and Mg are in the proper ratios is very important in coco and can be challenging when trying to grow several different strains out all at once. I've basically dialed in a reservoir that can feed 50 different plants with no deficiencies but it took me a couple weeks of trial and error.

Offlineimpgl

#480333 - 09/21/10 12:54 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

plants grow a LOT slower in smaller pots, IMO. i can't stand sog anymore, so i just use 3- 5 gal pots in smaller numbers and I find that quality of life is increased.

also, marryanne where can I get calcium nitrate?

--------------------

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Container size... [Re: impgl]
    #480336 - 09/21/10 12:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

cropking.com

ebay

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom