Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Considering SoG, wondering what strain to get
    #479420 - 09/19/10 02:59 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, I'm considering doing a Sea of Green grow with the new 15 plant's I'm legal to grow.

Right now, we've got two different strains right now. Pandora and Jilly Bean. I can get other clones, and I can probably order some seeds if it comes down to it.

I'm wondering who here's done a good SoG, and if they have a strain that they prefer for this method?

Some good links to other grows would be great too. Thanks!

--------------------
My best run so far

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethe man

Re: Considering SoG, wondering what strain to get [Re: Tank333]
    #479970 - 09/20/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

sweet 16!! or magash suggests satori ??

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Considering SoG, wondering what strain to get [Re: the man]
    #480118 - 09/20/10 08:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

How dense of a SoG are you hoping to do? I'm using 2 litre 5.2" pots and can fit 49 under a 600w light (1m^2).

If I had a 15 plant limit I would either want to grow in DWC with 3-5 plants per 1kw light hung vertically or I would veg for 3+ weeks to try to get the best annual harvest possible.

So far, Mental Floss is my best SoG strain it roots fast, it's vigorous, and it doesn't branch much. It's the only strain I can recommend for a SoG of my density. I could ask my friend for you what strains he's enjoyed. He only grows SoG and he uses similar plant counts as me I think he does up to 100 under a 1000w light. I know he's a fan of the Mental Floss(Chimera), White Widow(Mr.Nice), and Spice(Mr.Nice). Your options aren't as limited if you're going to be running bigger plants with more space.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Considering SoG, wondering what strain to get [Re: maryanne3087]
    #480139 - 09/20/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well honestly, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to do it in a box, so I'm not gonna have too much room. I can't do the remodeling in the grow room that I wanted till they replace the roof on it, and god knows when that'll actually get done. :mad2:

I'm probably gonna have to go with CFL's for the first grow, and hope that I can make enough off the first round to get an HID set up.

How big would you recommend I build my box, and what should I shoot for in terms of wattage for the light (the HID I'm saving for, I mean)? I'm thinking a 400w cool-tube would be sufficient, right?

I'm probably going to be using 2x2's and plywood to make the shell, insulate it and line it with mylar. I'm also thinking about getting all fancy with it, and making it collapsible. I'd make each side separately, and secure them together with either dowel posts and holes or with removable pins. Anyone with carpentry skills care to make a suggestion for this?

--------------------
My best run so far

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

#480145 - 09/20/10 09:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Also, I'm not able to do hydro here, only soil. The guy I'm living with/growing for was doing DWC before, and he had a huge humidity problem, and he's sketchy about going back to that.

I'll have to wait till I move into my own place before I can actually do the set up I REALLY want to do...

--------------------
My best run so far

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #480162 - 09/20/10 10:30 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Well for a 600w I'd recommend a 3x3' space if not a bit bigger.

For a 400w light I think I'd recommend a similar space. Some of my friends go up to 4x4' with a 600w so I think a 400w can light up a 3x3' pretty well.

I've used cooltubes in the past and can't really recommend them for performance. Aircooled reflectors seem to work just as well for cooling the bulb and have added reflection of light down on the canopy. However, these hoods can be fairly big and may be hard to fit into a 3x3' box. Coda uses a cabinet as does Inverted I think. Harryballsach uses a 4x4' closet with 2 hoods. You would need to shop around for a hood small enough to fit inside your box with some extra room for ducting.

As for insulation, I don't really think you need to insulate a grow box and I don't think it will benefit any. Reason being, the outside of the grow box is going to be cooler than the inside so lack of insulation would be beneficial, in fact you would want a heat conducting material if anything. Unless of course you're looking to insulate it for other reasons such as sound or whatever it might be.

If you hang your light from the ceiling you can make a tent out of some wooden dowel or pvc. With some planning you could make the tent out of pvc without gluing so it would be ultra collapsible. When my friend started growing we did this, one thing we overlooked was light proofing we accomplished this by pulling up some black/white poly from the bottom of the frame making sure it overlapped at the corners and duct taping the fuck out of it. Not pretty but it worked. The top we had a piece cut out that was a rectangle that would hang over the sides of the tent with two holes for the yoyos to be fed through to hold up the light. We used 3 fire resistant aprons that are an insulated material that reminds me of the bags they use to deliver pizza in, we picked this material because we were afraid that the poly would melt. The reflector we used was never hot to the touch because the reflective metal is built to not contact the outer construction to better draw heat away from your grow area instead of just dissipating into your grow environment we put so much effort into trying to control.

If it ever happens to be within your budget, you could also buy a tent. They're very worthwhile IMO. Nothing is easier to control than a climate no bigger than necessary.

Invisiblemaryanne3087
Stranger
Trusted Cultivator
    #480329 - 09/21/10 12:42 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tank333 said:
Also, I'm not able to do hydro here, only soil. The guy I'm living with/growing for was doing DWC before, and he had a huge humidity problem, and he's sketchy about going back to that.

DWC shouldn't be a problem assuming your buckets or tubs are closed as they're supposed to be. Water vapor would just condense on your lids and drip back into your reservoir not effecting the RH of your environment. That's like saying you're going to have humidity issues because you bought a bottle of water.

Plants transpire a lot of water which is why growers often ruin their homes with mold/rot. If you're growing plants and are concerned about humidity the way you grow them should be the least of your concerns. ie. soil vs dwc.

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Re: Considering SoG, wondering what strain to get [Re: maryanne3087]
    #480343 - 09/21/10 01:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I can understand the logic in that, but convicing this guy to let me do ANYTHING different from the way he has it now is like pulling teeth from an alligator!

I can't even get him to okay me installing a proper ventilation system because he feels it'll tax the electrical system too much. Even though last night the temps got up to 95 in there! Honestly, I'm just going to do it and let him bitch at me later for it. That's WAY too hot for those poor girls!

--------------------
My best run so far

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies