Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
Re: ?? [Re: weezy420]
    #447442 - 07/17/10 09:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

weezy420 said:
yeah im pretty sure you'll actually see how the LED's preform during flowering

Around week 12...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
Re: ?? [Re: SmOakland]
    #447648 - 07/17/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Who knows. If it doesn't work whatever. Regardless I'm going need another spot to grow soon if I'm really going to do 2 600W's or 2 1000W's HPS. Woof.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: fungi]
    #447649 - 07/17/10 05:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

And here we go. Pics with the LED off. Girls are startin to look purty. I was playing with them a little last night, I think they like me. Oh and I wish it wasn't so damn hot here. AC is going to be mandatory soon. Bummer dood. But these plants are growing fast now. Guess I'm just going to let them overgrow in the closet then take several clones of all of them, then flower all the plants worthy of flowering.

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
    #448195 - 07/18/10 09:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I like that someone is doing an LED grow. I know you get a lot of slack about it but if no one tries new things how will we know if they will work and how much they will work. With advances in LED lighting who knows this might be the next big thing. Keep up the good work and will be watching this and wish you the best.

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: Kilroy]
    #448411 - 07/19/10 03:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks bro. It was a little bit of investment; like the damn thing costs 2x as much as 600W HPS, but I'm hopping it works. My closet is nuts right now with an overgrow. At least this does an out of control veg and seems to penetrate below the canopy; crap open the closet and it hits the entire room.

I just started to train back the 2 largest plants since they were growing into a new canopy level and I want to stall at the current height. I'll take a pic later. If the yield is horrible or something, it's not very difficult to through a HPS in their.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#451386 - 07/25/10 11:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Plants are getting big. Clones are entering teen phase. I setup my grow tent, started flowering of the adult plants. 300W LED fixture in the flowering room. I'd want another 300W led fixture, for flowering; once I can afford it, it's happening. Ironically the 120W led in the veg room seems to be doing great in the entire 2x5 space?

LED's seem to be amazing for veg. I want to get another 120W led or similar for the veg room. But maybe that is overkill? This stuff is really weird. LED's seem to have pretty amazing results for such low power consumption in comparison to MH and HPS thus far. I'll be continuing the LED testing, even though I am so tempted to run a HPS in the flowering room.

My setup reminds me of my old 1000W HPS/MH system on a light mover. But, light movers at least from my experience don't really do anything. The light of a HPS or MH 1000W easily penetrates a 5x5 area, unless you have massive deep bushes, and in that case I don't think you pruned your plants correctly.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#451395 - 07/25/10 11:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Man I'm looking forward to this,

the satisfaction of proving you all wrong. Nothing like a bunch of negative people saying you suck for the day you achieve victory. All you posers who gave me negative ratings, I can't believe I tried to kiss your damn asses. Even though I could have saved money in the short run buying a MH and HPS for the veg and flowering room, that ain't what this is about. It's about saving fucking power. It's about being better for the fucking environment. It's about less fucking waste from replacing bulbs. It's about less fucking heat no fucking AC and more electricity. It's about more resinous buds, and better tasting buds.

May it be a lesson to you to never give up in what you believe in. Never stop no matter what stands in your way. Achieve your goals. It might seem impossible to start a music or art career. It might seem impossible to prove that LED lights are superior to HPS in flowering. It might be impossible to build a community that gives lower income, homeless and ex-criminals a new life, that was never possible before; but you can and will achieve victory.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #452027 - 07/27/10 07:38 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I hope you do end up flowering in an all LED arrangement.  We need more empirical data on the flowering capability of these LED's.  In my experience, which is limited, the LED's definitely work; but their high up-front investment in conjunction with a perceived reduction in flowering efficiency is what is holding these back.  Still waiting to find a source for 720nm+ diodes, as I think that their availability could help tilt the scales in LED's favor.

Here is a diagram of the custom 300w 1w/diode array I had built last year. 

I had originally intended to design a light that I would bring to the retail market as a proprietary design.  However, while this LED array will grow a plant to be certain, I am not yet convinced that it is capable of doing so better than an HPS light source.  Frankly, I will not bring a product such as this to market unless I am certain that it can compare to and in several respects exceed the efficiency of an HPS source.

As one who has jumped into the realm of LED options, I am thankful for your thread fungi, and look forward to witnessing the progress with your chosen LED arrays. :thumbup:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: geokills]
    #452960 - 07/29/10 08:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yah I feel yah. I bit the bullet and picked up some HPS lights. In the tent they are like 20 times brighter then the LED fixture. Still going to use the LED, but sorry it was either buy another LED fixture; which I almost wish I did, or buy some HPS lights. Going be pretty hard to test it now; but I know led's work awesome for veg at least.

Seems like the trade off for power use vs. yield vs. cost is almost dead even. But not. It still seems to favor the HPS unfortunately. I looked into building a led light and that isn't any cheaper then the lights you buy commercially unfortunately or you can get off somebody.

Also what concerns me is all the LED fixtures say they are good for 50,000 hours then they start to degrade. Which is directly comparable to a hps or mh ballast; after 6 years I'm sure it won't perform as good as a new one; and bulbs only last 19,000 hours.

Offlinewholesheet
Stranger
    #453140 - 07/30/10 12:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i think it would be kewl to have some leds on like a christmas light strain but have them spaced every .5 inch or every inch and just wrap them in the under growth of the plant... it would be christmas year round..

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: ?? [Re: wholesheet]
    #453302 - 07/30/10 08:44 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I am wishing you the best and I hope it works out for you. I would love for you to prove it is possible. With my budget I will only be able to get HPS for now, but with advances in the LED field it can only get better and the prices will go down as it does with all new tech.

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: Black Domina, Chem-Dawg Sister, Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush, Purps LEDS [Re: fungi]
    #454960 - 08/04/10 07:16 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: Black Domina, Chem-Dawg Sister, Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush, Purps LEDS [Re: fungi]
    #454961 - 08/04/10 07:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If you consider $800-900 for 2 600 HPS, with nice hoods, bulbs and ballasts vs $1,600 for 2 600W LED's, the price isn't that far off if you keep the lights for 10 years. But like I've read and seen, led's work great for small grows. But if you do what I'm doing; not sure it is going to work.

OfflineAgent 47
John

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Holland
    #454993 - 08/04/10 11:11 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Cool grow. I've been interested in LEDS for a while. A buddy of mine that has a few UFO LED fixtures and a 400w HPS light, and he has great results.

I haven't ventured indoors yet, but if I did I think I want some LED's in there.

TUNED IN

--------------------

Agent Outdoor 2010

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: Black Domina, Chem-Dawg Sister, Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush, Purps LEDS [Re: Agent 47]
    #455740 - 08/05/10 11:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Just purchased another 400W LED fixture from http://www.customspectrum.com/
Seems like I was wrong, they both are 400W led fixtures, which pull 4 amps at 120V. I know because I bought this http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1281073578&sr=8-1
and I have a line that runs the LED + a 600W ballast and it is pulling precisely 1000W and 10 amps, and the 600W only obviously pulls 600W + 6 amps.

So these folks led's fixtures ain't no joke man. The new one is a 12 band spectrum for veg.

Oh and check out this eBay auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/420-w-3w-BEST-LED-GROW-LIGHT-300-400-600-1000-mh-hps-/280545013418?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

for one of their lights. Hell of a deal if you want a pretty darn good led light for veg or to supplement in flowering.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#456621 - 08/07/10 10:42 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well I screwed up. The HID's seem to be no better then the LED for flowering. Plus the stupid Hid lights are so damn hot. They add a good 20-30 F when the LED only adds 10 F. I have the two 600W HPS aircooled and it is still 85 degrees + in my tent. With the LED is it below 80. Even with ambient temps at 60 degrees.

Well I guess I should have trusted myself. LED > HID. Great now I have some worthless HPS equipment to sell.

Offlinewholesheet
Stranger
    #456729 - 08/08/10 07:05 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i'm sure the leds r cooler.. but just get some more air flow.. if ur hoods r air cooled add one more can fan to suck air outta the top of the room and a fan blowing in fresh cool air from another room.. but hey do what ya wanna do.. those leds r temping....i wanna try some

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: Black Domina, Chem-Dawg Sister, Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush, Purps LEDS [Re: wholesheet]
    #460130 - 08/14/10 02:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well it got colder here. Room temps inside are more like 70 F. Which I find more ideal. Once I secure the funding, I plan to run all LED's for flowering and put the HID's temporarily in a closet to prove that yield with LED's is the same or superior to HID.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: DieselB]
    #460134 - 08/14/10 02:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DieselB said:
I can already tell you for a fact that keeping the light that far away is gonna end badly, soon as flowering starts they are gonna stretch like a mofo and fall over in a week because of it..

One of the main things about LED is the low heat factor which allows you to get them really close for maximum intensity, which is what the plant wants to grow the best it can.

Which when growing 100% indica strains isn't exactly a bad thing dood. Please don't question my ability to grow weed.

Offlinecreep 1nc
Stranger

#461942 - 08/17/10 07:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fungi said:
Quote:

DieselB said:
I can already tell you for a fact that keeping the light that far away is gonna end badly, soon as flowering starts they are gonna stretch like a mofo and fall over in a week because of it..

One of the main things about LED is the low heat factor which allows you to get them really close for maximum intensity, which is what the plant wants to grow the best it can.

Which when growing 100% indica strains isn't exactly a bad thing dood. Please don't question my ability to grow weed.

but can you grow weed efficiently?

--------------------
. Creeps bagseed! 1st grow ever

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck