Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Loc: Silicon Sizzle, CA USA Flag
Indoor LED Soil - Black Domina, Chem-Dawg Sister, Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush
    #443243 - 07/07/10 09:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So I picked up some clones locally. Unfortunately most were not rooted very well at all, and radically different genetics as seen below. The huge one in the 5 gallon pot is the same as the other ones on the right of it and next to it; started at the same time.

Looking into getting another 120W LED light, as they seem to put out more light then the CFL's. This is strictly a veg area, going to get a large tent to flower in. Stinky strain, have a carbon scrubber. Any suggestions?

Edited by fungi (08/25/10 07:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: Black Domina and Chem Sis Grow [Re: fungi]
    #443518 - 07/08/10 03:27 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Alright time to make this closet blow up, literally. I'm going to be "testing," 600W led lights from http://www.customspectrum.com/

I talked at length to the owner of the business about LED lights, and he sounds like a real winner. He is the only other person I've talked too that seems to have researched LED's to the extent I have.

I'm going to eventually add a 600W LED fixture in this closet. I'll leave the 120W LED fixture as well. Soon to grab 3 different varieties of KUSH medical clones.

The flowering tent will have 2 600W LED fixtures. I'll be custom ordering those.

Edited by fungi (07/08/10 10:14 PM)

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| ♪♫♪♫♪♫
Male User Gallery

Loc: afghanistan
?? [Re: fungi]
    #443528 - 07/08/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

dam 600 watt led panels?!? thats gonna be a biiig panel, i didnt even kno they made em that big. be careful the place isnt just lying and ripping u off man. oh one other thing, u should really look at something else for ur flowering tent, leds dont flower very well if at all. fluffy little popcorn nugs is what ur gonna end up with.

--------------------
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: kickin-two-hundo]
    #443529 - 07/08/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

omg and bro for that rediculous price u could get two lumetek digital ballast 1000w hps with agro max lights and have SUCH better results. I really think ur gonna regret spendin soo much on leds. there not all there talked up to be.

Just look at this one little thing. Ur 600w led is gonna put out a measly 10,000 lumens. my 400 watt hps puts out 50,000. and the thousand watt puts out around 150,000 lumens. If you had two that would be 300,000 lumens! 30 times more output then the leds, for the same price. just think about what ur doin.

--------------------

anything and everything i post on here is completely fictional and come straight from the deepest depths of the black hole which is my mind.

Edited by cicken200 (07/08/10 04:15 PM)

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#443729 - 07/08/10 08:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Just got 3 different kinds of Kush clones; Santa Cruz OG Kush, Bubba Kush, Purple OG Kush
since I smoked that the other day and really liked how it chilled me out.

LOL I think I wasting tons of money buying a $900 LED panel, but shit I bought it on eBay so I can return it; heheh.

Edited by fungi (07/09/10 03:29 AM)

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: fungi]
    #443789 - 07/08/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

With the exception of the stuff upper left, these are all free samples. Thanks so much guys for the help with this project.

Lol ran out of soil, going to transfer all the clones to pots tomorrow and fill the closet.

Edited by fungi (07/08/10 10:57 PM)

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#444421 - 07/10/10 03:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Sorry to me a post addict, but I want to document this as best I can. Man can't wait to get another LED because those damn CFL's are too hot.

Black Domina in the lead (well it should be given it was introduced a long time ago). I don't get why this one plant is so much larger then all the others; I switched it to a 5 gallon pot just randomly, but when I transplanted it, it barely covered the entire 2 gallon pot?

These are Chemical Sisters? Some completely undocumented strain from a Cannabis Club called Blue Sky, used to be SR-71, in Oakland. Maybe the clones are ok from their, but the weed blows.

This is a learning experience. I recently started topping plants and am learning how to grow plants in soil. It's hard not to over water plants in soil; at least for me. I'd much rather water them everyday, and sometimes I do; but I have to stop myself because it isn't good for them.

On a side note, I'm spending more time in my garden as the plants are filling the 2x5 closet. I notice the lights, sorta hurts my face and eyes. Seems weird, as MH or HPS never really bothered me much, even at 1000W. I think I'm somewhat sensitive to the LED wavelengths. Might wear sunglasses or something.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#444422 - 07/10/10 03:59 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cicken200 said:
omg and bro for that rediculous price u could get two lumetek digital ballast 1000w hps with agro max lights and have SUCH better results. I really think ur gonna regret spendin soo much on leds. there not all there talked up to be.

Just look at this one little thing. Ur 600w led is gonna put out a measly 10,000 lumens. my 400 watt hps puts out 50,000. and the thousand watt puts out around 150,000 lumens. If you had two that would be 300,000 lumens! 30 times more output then the leds, for the same price. just think about what ur doin.

Well I don't have a big enough area to require 2 1000W lights. I'm going to pick up a 8x5 tent. They recommend 2 600W HPS lights. I need to make more money, then I'm going to buy possibly another 600W LED fixture. Lumens are a measurement of light to humans, par is a measurement of light to plants.

Regardless, they have fancy LED's coming out daily. All the newest ones are white. They already have LED's that put out more way more "lumens." They probably have a LED that puts out more lumens the HPS for the same power. Think of it this way, HID technology is 30 years old. It's kinda like a gasoline engine, they can only make it so powerful and efficient. Or compare it to a computer processor architecture; their is only so much you can do with a design, before you just make a better one.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#444447 - 07/10/10 08:15 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Technology thats so old, and you bring up cars... Think about this, when it comes to racing, the fastest cars in the world are Top Fuel Dragsters which still employ the age old cam in block OHV design thats been around since the pope was an alter boy. When something works that well, who really wants to change it?

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #444519 - 07/10/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have done a little bit of research and have even had built a custom 300w LED panel with my own chosen wavelengths (6 spectrum).

I am weary of the company you indicated, from their first statement that says they want "to be open and honest about the performance of all of [their] products".  But they don't note the combination of wavelengths they use, nor do they make note of the use of a far-red diodes (in the 720nm+ range), which has been hypothesized to be one of the major drawbacks of the LED grow lights that are commercially available today, as marijuana amongst other plants seems to use the far red wavelengths of light to trigger their flowering processes most efficiently.

Also, CustomSpectrum makes a big fuss about using 3w LED's versus 1w LED's (an argument which I believe does have merit), however if you check out this page: http://www.customspectrum.com/300w-LED-3w3-Epistar-300w-Standard.htm

They specifically state that this thing uses 100 LED's, yet in the pictures shown on that page (which are pretty shitty in and of themselves), there are clearly more than 100 diodes on the array, and in fact it looks like the standard 288 diodes.

Anyway, my point is simply that it's difficult to trust any of the retail LED sales outfits currently in business, as they all seem to make sensational claims with little detailed information about the construction of their units and few side by side studies with HPS counterparts.  Even the majority of the original equipment manufacturers I spoke with for quotes on my custom light seemed pretty shady to be honest.

LED lights do have great potential; it simply has yet to be fully realized.  Just take a look at the stock of CREE Semiconductor (CREE).  These guys are one of the largest manufacturers of the most technologically advanced LED's currently available and their stock has been taking off like a rocket ship.

Regardless of all that, I want to smoke some Black Domina!!  I was once given weed called that, way back in my college days at UC Santa Barbara and it was hands down the smoothest smoke I've ever had.  Granted, a lot of that may have had to do with the individual grower's flushing and curing techniques during harvest.

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: geokills]
    #444569 - 07/10/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well I just measured my 120W LED fixture and it has the exact same measurements as the 300W he is selling. What I don't get, is how are they 3W led's if they only put out 1.5 watts? My 120W led has 119 LED's in it, with 1 watt led's in it. I got that one off eBay from http://myworld.ebay.com/rgsales2009/ and this is the light I bought http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-120-WATT-Hydroponic-Led-Plant-Grow-Light-120W-UFO-/190414519261?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5596fbdd

He claims, "130-150 actual watts." He states is has 100 LED x 1.5 watts = 150 watts.  Shouldn't that really just be a 150 watt led unit since that is the draw? My 120W led I think really pulls 100W, so shouldn't it be 100W?

I'm going to buy a power meter, to measure how much power my 120W is actually pulling and how much this 600W is actually pulling. Supposedly the 600W only draws ~350W's, so isn't it a 350W fixture; 200 x 1.75 watts = 350 watts.

What I find interesting is one could easily modify these lights. If they use the same LED's, then why can't the 300W fixture be driven at 1.75 watts instead of 1.5 watts if they are the same LED's? If they are really 3 watt led's, can't I drive them closer to 3 watts?

I'm not sure what power converter they are using. I looked up Epistar LED's and it sure looks like they have 3 watt led's just like Cree or Philips. From the research I did earlier, all the 3 watt led's tend to have a forward voltage 600-700 MA = .6-.7 amps. This doesn't make sense to me; mathematically. So if my 600W led light has 200 LEDS, 200 x .6 = 120 amps forward voltage, but why is it measured in amps? But it only pulls 3 amps according to his website. I'm definitely missing something in the how electronics work here. I really should go on a electronics website so I understand this fundamental.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#445051 - 07/11/10 08:58 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Forgot to mention am using Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Happy Frog Soil. I think next go round I'm adding some perlite to the soils because they really hold water, too much I think. I ordered my Secret Jardin 240W which is a 4x8 tent that will occupy most of a room.

I'm looking into acquiring two lumatek 600W digital ballasts and hoods. I'll "test" the LED, but I have quite my doubts at this point; but I have a 30 day money back on that LED fixture. Man buying digital ballasts, and a hood + bulb is almost 1/2 the cost of the LED; still pretty damn expensive.

I found a amazing deal on craigslist as usual that would save my ass from paying ridiculous $200 + for a ballast? I know they are new but wtf.

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

#446153 - 07/14/10 08:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I moved the LED light almost as high as the closet for testing purposes of light absorbed by the plants. So far 2 days have passed and they have no negative symptoms from this. Hypothesis that LED light is absorbed by plant, regardless of height from plant. This will be confirmed over a week period.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#446193 - 07/14/10 10:03 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I can already tell you for a fact that keeping the light that far away is gonna end badly, soon as flowering starts they are gonna stretch like a mofo and fall over in a week because of it..

One of the main things about LED is the low heat factor which allows you to get them really close for maximum intensity, which is what the plant wants to grow the best it can.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: DieselB]
    #446567 - 07/15/10 06:04 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The big one came today. 600W LED is the brightest light I've ever seen in my entire life. If I open the doors to my closet, the light is so bright it illuminates the entire room. As for the comments about LED's; keep them to yourself. Unless you have extensively researched LED's and even then, I am testing the light. I really don't care what you think about LED lights. All of your comments have been negative. To be honest, if all of you people would let go of negative thoughts and emotions it might be a better world. But that isn't your fault; you must have aliens inside your head that make you fear.

Offlineweezy420
Stranger

#446650 - 07/15/10 11:14 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:nothingtoadd::tomsellick:

Offlinekickin-two-hundo
Male User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: weezy420]
    #446738 - 07/15/10 02:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

jw have u ever seen an hid light up in person?

--------------------

OfflineSmOakland
Now with Grow!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oaktown to NOLA
    #446807 - 07/15/10 07:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

cicken200 said:
jw have u ever seen an hid light up in person?

Yo chill with the negative vibes compadre.

Fungi- I have been curious about LEDs.  I'll be watching this grow.  How much ventilation do you have on it?

Offlinefungi
 User Gallery

Re: ?? [Re: SmOakland]
    #447145 - 07/16/10 03:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I pulled the 120w, because the 600W is pretty nuts. It actually puts out some heat. Ambient temps are like 80 degrees in the environment and with the closet closed, it easily shoots up to 85-86%. I just open the closet a tiny bit and have my carbon scrubber outside pull 400 CFM about and shoot it over to the window.

I'll take some more pic's. Plants are getting bushy. I ordered the 8 foot tent, be here next week. When the money comes, I hopefully can get a couple more LED's for the closet and I really wanted two of these in the tent.

Only downside is the cost so far. They seem to handle at least 2 foot plants no problem. I'm not sure about 5-6 foot plants; haven't tested that one. These 600Wers are no joke though. Seriously bright, one is more then enough for the closet. Pretty sure it is overkill, plan on doing 2 120W's or something like that in their eventually.

Looking forward to flowering...

Edited by fungi (07/17/10 12:53 AM)

Offlineweezy420
Stranger

#447377 - 07/17/10 02:45 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah im pretty sure you'll actually see how the LED's preform during flowering

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies