Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Loc: Devils Marbles Flag
Aquatic plant reprodiction.
    #451431 - 07/26/10 06:47 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As some of you might know I am a big fishtank enthusiast, and while I have been doing this I have found that the cheapest and easiest way to have lush happy healthy plants all through your tank, is done  without having to buy them all.

This is pretty common knowledge among fishtank lovers but I still think its awesome!

The plant I'll be using is an Amazon Sword which is a fresh water plant favoring tropical tanks due to it being from the Amazon:wink:

The Amazon Sword is the large green plant with long leaves on the right of the tank.

The Swords grow long, thick stems from under the substrate, where they connect into a large circular cluster of roots. Pretty much every stem in this photo is a leaf, but amongst them grow stems which instead of growing leaves, sprout new born Swords growing along a dark green vine, which gets a whole lot longer than the leaves.

Now I cut the good vine last week and forgot to take photos but it had about 5-6 Swords growing along it, and it was about 1.5ft long. This is a fairly advanced sprout, as I let it grow a bit while it hung around in the water before I snipped it. You can see the root cluster, and the long dark green vine on which it grew. This particular vine only had one usable Sword, and I already have about 9 smaller sprouts in the substrate already.

Remove any excess vine from the sprout.

Choose where you want to plant your new sprout, and dig a hole into the substrate big enough to bury the roots entirely

Drown the bitch, and make sure it never tastes fresh air again by burying the roots and the base entirely

Enjoy your new aquatic plantlife!

This method is usable on pretty much every aquatic plant, though not all grow reproductive vines. To reproduce most fresh water plants, simply cut about 5inches (or as long/short as you choose) down from the top, removing it completely. You can then bury it where ever you want, or let it float around in the water until roots are visible, which is what I do. The original topped plant will recover and you can repeat the process infinitely IME:bongload:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
Re: Aquatic plant reprodiction. [Re: T-Rex]
    #451455 - 07/26/10 09:30 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

cool, I love aquariums. They are just so peaceful to watch when high or trippin IMO. I used live plants once and I got this slime in my tank so I just went back to plastic. Not sure what caused it but another friend of mine who is into tanks said it had to be something wrong with the plant because he uses nothing but live ones and his tank never had that problem. So I might give it another try and with all the lakes here I am sure I can find some.

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquatic plant reprodiction. [Re: Kilroy]
    #451625 - 07/26/10 05:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It was probably some kind of alge, if you leave your tank lights on for more than 9hours alot, or if your tank is near a window, alge,  slime and a whole bunch of shit that can harm your tank really love all that light.

Also you probably want to buy plants from an aquarium unless you know what aquatic plants grow and live locally and what water conditions they prefer

--------------------

OfflineKilroy
old stoner
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Cold as Hell Flag
    #451726 - 07/26/10 09:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes I do leave the lights on for about 12 hours, is that what caused it. I have seen some pretty neat ones at the fish store I go to.

--------------------
Just smoke a bowl and get over your self
We are human beings first everything else is second

You can not hold anything I post against me for I am delusional

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquatic plant reprodiction. [Re: Kilroy]
    #451736 - 07/26/10 10:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yea that long will definitely promote alge growth after while, but don't worry I had to find out the hard way too :lol:

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #451813 - 07/27/10 07:46 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Cool tutorial man. I know a lot of salt water plants actually produce seeds, but I'm pretty ignorant about fresh water plants.

InvisibleT-Rex
Herbsman
Male User Gallery

Re: Aquatic plant reprodiction. [Re: DungenessDank]
    #523315 - 02/05/11 01:49 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Gonna go ahead and bump this with a quick update of my tank and the matured cuttings. Some new vine's has grown and I'm going to be taking cuttings from them in a few weeks when they're all rooted and going well.

I gave 4 of the largest and best looking plants to my girlfrind because I'm trying to get her into fishtanks more :lol: I've moved alot of stuff around in my tank, and took out alot of the larger river stones to make room for a sort of growing space for the cuttings on a raised bed closer to the light with nothing near them to obstruct the light.

--------------------

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
Re: Aquatic plant reprodiction. [Re: T-Rex] * 1
    #567163 - 06/24/11 09:37 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Watching tanks while tripping is FarOut.

Cool plants by the way.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate