Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Just got my tent up!! Need help....
    #427818 - 06/02/10 06:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Hello growery community.  Finally got my system going with a new ac and wires and such.  I really want to make a killer grow log and do this right my first time.  I have some serious questions that I can't find any answers to.

How much am I supposed to up nutes over time?  I fear that my plants are deprived but I can't find any guide to nute strength for plants.  I know on the bottle it says 250-300 for seedlings and so on, but I'm not sure what to go by still.  Should I look at how many nodes? Plant height?  I have some plants that are 4-7in tall and I've been feeding with a solution of 700ppm at 6ph in coco/perlite 5g buckets.

I got some unhealthy plants that are only 4in tall but pretty much node after node after node.  I don't know how they could have flowered, they've been getting 24h of light, but they heve some MEAN preflowers and only one finger leaves on them.  WTF?

What did I do wrong?

I got 6 5g buckets with some dixie cups vegging in my tent right now.  I get the Afghan X Master Kush my uncle bred. I really hope to add some pics later, so proud on this side of my comp!  Even though I'm confused...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: DJ_avocado]
    #429135 - 06/05/10 02:02 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

1.  You will want to titrate your doses.  Start out small and work your way up.  Follow the instructions on the packaging.  Remember to gradually add small amounts.  Take your time doing it at first.  Over time you will just know what your plants want.  Reading the plants behavior is essential to this hobby.  If you have an issue with something that looks wrong post in the doctors diagnosis section with some pics. 

2.  what do you mean by 'one finger leaves on them'?

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #429141 - 06/05/10 03:14 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

After studying my plants a bit, I think they resemble a lack of many nutrients and not nutrient burn.  I think I should bring the ppm of nutes up to 900 at least with the next feeding.

Sorry bout the shitty pics.  As for the "one finger" leaves, some of the lower leaves are more developed than the top ones, which are thin little needle leaves.

Any tips for improvement?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
    #429142 - 06/05/10 03:17 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

some of that lower shit is fucked and will fall off later.  Keep an eye on the new growth.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #430178 - 06/09/10 02:26 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I watered this morning with a solution of 960 ppm / 5.9-6.0 ph.  The new growth looks promising, although not the deep green color that I am really anxious to see.  Patience can be the hardest thing in growing...

I broke the stem on the tallest plants and snipped the top off the shorter plants with dense nodes.  Also, for the plants furthest from the light I placed a rock at the base of the stem so that the plant is almost horizontal, pointing toward the light.

1)  Would it be better to jump up to a higher concentration of nutes, or should I stick with 950 for a week?

2)  I read that certain "nutrient lockouts" happen when the ph is too high or low.  A little after I transplanted the plants into 5g, I also learned that when growing in coco it is necessary to water with a lower ph than what is normal because of the ph of coco.  Before that I was watering with a solution of 6.5-6.8.  Could this be a source of nutrient deficiency that my plants are suffering from?

3)  What ph do use for coco?

Checkem out....

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #430182 - 06/09/10 03:04 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

In my opinion 900ppm is pretty high for plants of your size.  I'm assuming you have them under HID lighting.  Your pH should be the same in coir as it is in hydro, 5.6-6.0.  This could be a large part of the problem your having.

Do yo know what your starting PPM is??  Are you using coir specific nutrients??

I would say do a flush and then feed with a nutrient PPM of around 4-600.  Keep your pH lower than you have been, and they should bounce back.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #430388 - 06/09/10 01:40 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think for the next watering, I will take them all out of the tent and flush them out with my backyard hose.  Then with a 600ppm solution at 5.7-5.8 ph. 

When you say starting ppm, you mean the ppm of my tap water?  It is zero.  I use baking soda for ph-up, the change in ppm is not accounted for after I add the bking soda, right?  Should I let it sit before using?

I didn't think coir specific nutes were necessary.  I am using Fox Farm Grow Big, but I definitely don't enough so I'll be switching to Floranova later.

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #430899 - 06/10/10 05:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Oh coco specific nutes aren't necessary.  It's good that your starting pH is zero.  I wouldn't worry about letting it sit out.  I never do this and I feed with tap water.  Also, I use baking soda for upping my pH as well and I don't count that into the PPM dose. 

Flushing and starting at 600 PPM sounds like a good plan.  Remember, 3 times the amount of substrate.  5 gallons of dirt, 15 gallons of water should go through them.  Make sure that the pH is adjusted when flushing though.  You  don't want to just put 15 gallons of water straight from the hose through your buckets.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #431683 - 06/12/10 01:36 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
  You  don't want to just put 15 gallons of water straight from the hose through your buckets.

Shit!  That was my plan for tommarrow morning.  I was gonna flushem out then thoroughly feed with a solution of 5.5ph (My hose water is 7.3ish)  REALLY gotta recalibrate my meter, but need some distilled water...

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #431860 - 06/12/10 02:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Just fill buckets up with regular water and adjust the pH.  It's really easy man.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblestarrider

#434234 - 06/17/10 01:52 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DJ_avocado said:
After studying my plants a bit, I think they resemble a lack of many nutrients and not nutrient burn.  I think I should bring the ppm of nutes up to 900 at least with the next feeding.

Sorry bout the shitty pics.  As for the "one finger" leaves, some of the lower leaves are more developed than the top ones, which are thin little needle leaves.

Any tips for improvement?

Dude it looks a lot like burn to me. I tried to grow this way at first. Then I read to add nuits at 1/3 what the bottle says to do. Remember that plants don't need nuits for the first two weeks. And watch the watering. Add to much water and you will kill the plants as well. This is very tricky to get the hang of it. I got some average plants I am testing my growing on. This way I can make all the mistakes before the real seeds come. Read, Read, Read, as much as you can. You can always learn.

Good luck.

--------------------
"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything  I write is a lie. Any picture I post is a fake. I only write for entertainment.

OfflineDJ_avocado
myco-botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Just got my tent up!! Need help.... [Re: starrider]
    #434648 - 06/18/10 02:34 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

For when the real seeds come...

I already put in an order for 10 Lemon Skunk, 10 Hindu Kush, and 5 Hash Spice.  I'm thinking of just doing soil now, but I REALLY want to nail having an automated hydroponic system for ganja.  Real undecided...

I haven't watered since flushing them on Tuesday morning.  I've let a few of my coco projects go unwatered for some time.  They seem to be doing fine, but should I be watering coco more than soil? Or is it safe to wait and see when to water, like in soil, when the plant begins to wilt a bit?  I can't help thinking that roots need more water when growing in coco, but I don't want to overwater...

The plants are bouncing back some, but still not growing as fast as I'd like.  I'm probably looking at more than a month of veg before having the bush o' weed that I want...

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate