Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline3500lt
Stranger
maybe a simple fix?
    #420931 - 05/20/10 07:55 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hydro Growers:
1. Are you growing from seed or clones?

Seeds(bagseed from something they called "headband", but it doesnt matter really)

2. How old are your plants?

i cant remember exactly but i planted them a month ago. maybe a week longer.

3. How tall are your plants?

kinda short maybe 6 inches tall and bushy.

4. What type of hydro system are you using?

DWC

5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?

Dutch Master gold "parts A/B"

6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution?

around 6.5 "thats as low as the tester will read"

7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?

i used tap water that was 197

8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?

9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?

i will have to check that. ill post it when i post pictures.

10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?

I just changed the water so it is holding steady, but my last solution rose almost 150ppm over 2 weeks.

11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?

My ph did rise up to 7.5 but i adjusted it this morning. my last solution did that for a couple days and then held the lower ph after adjusting a few times.

12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?

i have for the past couple days with plain water.

13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")

I started them under cfls and on monday put them under a 600W MH.

14. How close are your lights to the plants?

2 feet/ 24inches/ 60cm

15. What size is your grow space in square feet?

well the room is about 6X12ft but i have the light in the middle of the room and my 4 plants are in a 18 gallon res.

16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

i dont know the RH, but i can measure that, and its about 72F right now

17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?

i saw i spider, some fungus gnats, and some little dead beatle looking thing. they dont seem to be able to handle it to well since i put the 600 watter on them

18. How much experience do you have growing?

not much. i grew a huge bagseed plant when i was 18 and stealthly put it in my dads garden.  he harvested it! i still am trying the right time to bring it up to him. but hell that was 6-7 years ago

The plants look pretty ok except for some brown spots on the leaves. I will post pics a little later today, so i can make sense of this.There are 4 plants in netpots with hydroton in a 18gallon resivoir.  The leaves did start to curl a bit upwards due to heat stress, but are getting better.

they are getting there first set of 7 blade fan leaves and new leaves forming at the nodes. the stems are a bit purple but i think thats ok.

the roots are getting a tint of brown and i just changed the water so hopefully that will clear up, but if not what would i do to fix this?

like i said i will post pictures a little later to show what i am talking about. any help is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline3500lt
Stranger
Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: 3500lt]
    #421423 - 05/20/10 10:50 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

here is the 4 ladies(hopefully they are female, or at least 1)

here is a pic of the roots. the look more brown than they actually are because of the lighting. try half as brown as the look, but they do have a tint of brown. maybe a little h2o2? the shortest and bushiest plant has the longest roots. i thought that was odd. the rest of them are a bit taller, but the roots are alot thicker and shorter.

here is a couple pics of the leaf problem. first off the older leaves have a little light stress and are curled upwards on the edges due to starting the 600 watt light not much more than 2 feet above the plants. all new growth seems tollerable to this and isnt showing signs of stress from the light. the 600 watter has been on them for almost 5 days now 24 hours on with a fan blowing acrosse the plants.

the brown spots are inbetween the veins of the leaves. and are in big blotches, only on the older 3 bladed leaves.

here is some of the newer spots showing up. just noticed these today. small white spots showing up on the leaves. they are similar to the brown spots, but white. maybe the same thing i dont know. i have not had any sign of insects in the past few days.

my ph has been rising fast but i have been dropping it back down to 6.5 or lower with techniflora ph down. it only takes 3 tsp.

i dont know. it keeps showing up on the older leaves. when i say older leaves i mean after about 2 days when the new fans show up, the ones before start showing these spots.

any info is appreciated. its weird how these plants are already filling the room with a slight fragrant odor of goodness!

Offline3500lt
Stranger
    #421440 - 05/20/10 11:03 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

one more thing!! the stems start out green then get a purple tint to them. am i not using enough nutes? because it seems to me i have a few symptoms of a few different defficiencies.. i will sleep on it and figure it out tomorrow. no need to rush this they dont seem to be dying, just need a little attention. i want to do it right the first time.

what should my ppm for my nutrient solution be if my tap water came out at 197? right now it reads 856.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #421759 - 05/21/10 05:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Your using to much nutrients.  If over a week the PPM is rising that means that they are drinking water but not eating any of the food. 

197 is a pretty high PPM  to start at.  You should be either buying distilled water or get a RO system to clean out your water.  I've also heard of people getting a Britta filter to use, but I can't vouch for the effectiveness of that.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Offlinejuslikejesus
Your Name Is My Name Too
Male
Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #422301 - 05/22/10 11:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

those dots occur from to high of PH locking up nutrients, in your case i'm thinking the PPM is to high and is locking up nutes your water is to hard. Distill your water, AND DON'T DOSE IT WITH EXTRA NUTES CAUSE I SAID IT'S NOT GETTING ENOUGH. LET YOUR WATER SIT.

--------------------
When answering a question I ask, feel free to elaborate, feel free to direct me to other threads and or internet resources. I WANT to hear good information, try to make it so I don't have to answer anymore questions. I've read a lot if I ask a question it's because I want to here more.

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: juslikejesus]
    #422334 - 05/22/10 11:57 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

As I stated in a another thread.  Letting your water sit does not distil it.  I'm not quite sure you understand what distillation is.  Here's a link for ya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distillation

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #422529 - 05/23/10 12:52 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LET YOUR WATER SIT.

I think you're confusing distilling with letting any chlorine in your water gas off.  As hawk said letting your water sit is not distillation.

To the OP- If your water is hard (which @ 197 PPM from the tap, it sure as hell is), you have a few options.

1.) Buy an RO system for your sink, they're not too expensive and RO water is fucking awesome so it's a good investment

2.) Buy nutes tailored for use in hard water. Doesn't solve the hard water problem, but, it will allow your plants to thrive.

3.) Buy a brita filter for your tap, not the best or most efficient method to solve a hard water problem.  But it may lower your PPM's down to a level that your plants are happier at

4.) Buy gallon bottles of distilled or drinking water from your local grocer.  Or if your grocer has one of those machines you can refill water at, buying a large container and filling that to use is another option.  This method is a PITA, produces a lot of waste if you're not reusing your containers, and will raise the cost of your grow in the long term. 

If you have the cash I think the RO system would best for in the long run.  If you want to grow hydro you're going to need to come up with a solution quick though as your plants will start to go downhill quick if it's not taken care of.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinejuslikejesus
Your Name Is My Name Too
Male

Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: coda]
    #422543 - 05/23/10 01:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Doesn't boiling water, and letting it sit do generally the same thing?

--------------------
When answering a question I ask, feel free to elaborate, feel free to direct me to other threads and or internet resources. I WANT to hear good information, try to make it so I don't have to answer anymore questions. I've read a lot if I ask a question it's because I want to here more.

Offlinejuslikejesus
Your Name Is My Name Too
Male

Re: maybe a simple fix? pictures added! [Re: juslikejesus]
    #422548 - 05/23/10 01:12 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

juslikejesus said:
Well thank you guys for telling me that, I was wrong. I still think the problem is undistilled water in any case and probably 2 high of ppms.

--------------------

Edited by juslikejesus (05/23/10 01:13 PM)

Offline3500lt
Stranger
Re: maybe a simple fix? [Re: 3500lt]
    #422802 - 05/23/10 06:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for all the help! a few more questions.

1.Would it work if i used rain water? My friend has a rain water barrel and the watter is like 10ppm.

2. and if i change the water should i let it sit for a couple days before adding nutes? what should i adjust the solution to if i add nutes to water thats around 10-15ppm?

3. should i adjust the water down to around 5.5-6ph?

I was gone for a couple days and when i came back i noticed the plants almost doubled in size. but the tips of the leaves are turning yellow and curling. its weird because one of the four plants is completely healthy.

Offlinejuslikejesus
Your Name Is My Name Too
Male

#422808 - 05/23/10 06:40 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Post pictures of you plants now, and uhm 5.5-6 is good, try to keep it at 7 if thats easiest it will be fine for them even though perfect for weed plants is like 5.8-6.2.

The rain water should be fine if the PH is good, but I thnik that dropping the PPM that low can shock the plants(although I'm not sure) you have a deficiency and without a pic i can't tell you what its problem is. POST ONE!

--------------------

Offline3500lt
Stranger
    #422964 - 05/23/10 11:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

here is what i am talking about. plus i noticed all the leaves are curling downwards at the tip.

here is a group shot

blurry but a picture of yellow curled tips.

yellowing on the edges

another blurry one. these are the oldest leaves. i added 1tsp epsom per gallon and they seem to have stopped spotting like this.

leaf tips curling downward

and this one seems to be the healthiest. besides a little leaf curl it isnt yellowing or anything.

the roots are growing rapidly and seem to be a little whiter. maybe its wishfull thinking. but im goona get the res cleaned out and filled with new rain water. ill adjust the ph to 7 for a couple days and slowly lower it maybe? i dont know.

Offline3500lt
Stranger
    #423138 - 05/24/10 01:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well i changed the water. the rain water was at 67ppm. i filled my resivior with rain water and added nutes to 500ppm the ph was adjusted down to 7(should i lower it to 5.2-5.8?). i did notice two of the plants are male, but im pretty sure the other two are goona be female(i think i see pistles and they are starting to smell like marijuana)

so we will see. if everything is right will they come back to normal within a couple days?

im goona look into an RO system as i think its a water issue since thats pretty much what ive been told.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#423307 - 05/24/10 04:04 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, 7 is way too high for hydro, ideal for you is gonna be 5.5-5.9 .

They don't really look old enough to be showing sex already, unless you have them on 12/12 from the start?

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offline3500lt
Stranger
Re: maybe a simple fix? [Re: DieselB]
    #423463 - 05/24/10 09:20 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

it looks like at least one plant is growing round balls at each node

Offline3500lt
Stranger
    #424237 - 05/26/10 03:41 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

well i destroyed 1 plant and moved the biggest outside. they both turned out male. maybe i can make some butter out of the one i moved out doors when it gets bigger?

but anyways, its been a couple of days now in the new water. i noticed on the new growth of each plant that there is curling still on the tips of the leaves. the tips are reddish brown and curling. the leaves are concaved upwards making me wonder if its a mag deficiency?

the leaves on one of them are a little yellowish on just the edges with a couple brown spots and are concaved upwards.

am i having a mag deficiency?

ps.  the tips of the leaves are curling downward while the edges are reaching up.. could i maybe have too much of one thing and its locking up my magnesium?

my ph is at 5.8 and my ppm is at 750-800 because i read 500ppm right after puting in nutes. i should have waited a few minutes to let it get mixed up. but thats where its at now.

thanks everyone!

Offline3500lt
Stranger
    #424777 - 05/27/10 05:29 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

so what would be the easiest way to trouble shoot this? trial and error?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies