Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers * 1
    #409583 - 04/30/10 05:11 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone!  I just wanted to show everyone what my techniques are for installing stealthy ventilation. This technique can work for both exhaust and intake, although in the example I'm showing here I'm using it as intake.

First, cut the hole in your wall. You'll want to use a stud finder to make sure you know where all the 2x4's are before you cut and so you can plan your vent placement accordingly. The studs in this wall were 8.5" apart (which ended up being a HUGE bitch :lol:). Since most vent covers (I use what are called "floor registers") are either 4x10" or 4x12" I decided to use two of them placed vertically to fill up the 8" width between the studs since a 10" wide hole obviously wouldn't fit. You can see the 6" circular hole I'm going to use to mount the ducting on the other side of the wall  in this picture as well.

Ok, now see all that fuzzy grey shit in there? That's called blown cellulose insulation, and not only will it destroy your fan and cover your plants in crap, but it's also important to seal off so that your house retains some of it's insulative properties. They insert that stuff with a blower, so you bet your butt you can suck it all out with a 6" vortex just as easily if you're not careful!  Here's what I do;

Cut a 2x4 to the appropriate width to cover the top and bottom of that space. Using a handheld drill, make two pilot holes at about a 45 degree angle in the wood as such;

Take that piece of wood and put it into your hole

The reason the screws are at an angle is so they can get purchase on both my new 2x4 and the wood in the walls used as studs.

Once that's installed I use a vacuum to clean out any excess insulation or drywall dust and wipe down the whole area with some wet paper towels. The next step is to use some silicone based caulk to seal all the gaps. Don't worry about making this part look good becaue nobody will ever see it, the important part is to make sure EVERY hole is completely sealed so you don't start sucking insulation, spiders, dust etc into your grow room.

Once that's all done, it's time to install your vent covers. Simply mount them to the wall using a tiny bit of adhesive (or if you cut the hole correctly they'll kind of just snap right in). The final product looks like this;

Note that the vent on the left looks slightly different than the one on the right. I took off the baffling system for the picture so you could see through the vent cover into the little hole we made. Once I reattach it then both covers will look identical and nobody will be able to tell what's beyond.

Once I get the ducting on the far side installed I'll take some more pictures but I think everyone knows that's the easy part. Simply attach the ducting through that 6" hole I showed in the first picture, run that to your fan, and then put one of these babies on your fan to prevent any dust or molds from getting sucked in through the wall vent.

One thing you need to keep in mind is the square area of your vents versus your duct. In my case a 6" duct has (area of a circle = pi* r^2)  28 square inches. As long as my vent is greater than that I won't be restricting air flow. In this particular case I've got 8" x 10" of vent space, so you can see that 80in^2 is considerably larger than the area of my duct. I do this partly to make sure I won't be restricting airflow, but also so that the air is moving slower through my vent than it will be through my ducting to keep noise down.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild & Free
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #409959 - 05/01/10 11:35 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Will I have to have something like that set up?

I assume not, but even if I don't need it good post.

Great pictures.

--------------------
"Je pense, donc je suis (I am thinking, therefore I am)." -Rene Descartes

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Thebooedocksaint]
    #409963 - 05/01/10 11:37 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Most likely not. This is just for people who need air intake from another room. In my case I have a window mounted AC unit in only one room in my house, so I cut that vent in the wall so I can bring cold, air-conditioned air into my grow space with ease.

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#409969 - 05/01/10 11:43 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
Most likely not. This is just for people who need air intake from another room. In my case I have a window mounted AC unit in only one room in my house, so I cut that vent in the wall so I can bring cold, air-conditioned air into my grow space with ease.

Ahhh, where do you usually blow the out-take through?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #409978 - 05/01/10 11:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

A vent in my roof. Every attic space has some passive vents for temperature control, it's pretty simple to attach your ducting to that and exhaust through the roof. Not suspicious at all because it just looks like a chimney so airflow out of it is expected.

--------------------

OfflineThebooedocksaint
Dead Dictator
 User Gallery

#409993 - 05/01/10 12:10 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
A vent in my roof. Every attic space has some passive vents for temperature control, it's pretty simple to attach your ducting to that and exhaust through the roof. Not suspicious at all because it just looks like a chimney so airflow out of it is expected.

Sweet, I can't wait till I live on my own.

I'll spend extra just to have an extra unused room.

--------------------

OfflineFarmer Joe
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #415127 - 05/10/10 12:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Very nice clean-cut diy harry.  stealthy and professional.

Sick drill too btw. I'm a Milwaukee guy...but those lil makita's are nice'n compact.

And you're right about the cellulose...that shit is hella messy. I used to install it.  Prob one of the only jobs I've had that I can honestly say I hated..lol. though cellulose is a very good investment...not only does it insulate, but it doubles as sound proofing. I see you've gone green in more ways than one. :wink:

--------------------
"Marijuana may not be addictive, but growing it is" - ED Rosenthal

Maine Caregiver In 100% compliance with Maine state laws.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Farmer Joe]
    #415145 - 05/10/10 01:01 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you sir!  I'm glad you like my drill too :lol: she's my pride and joy, I fucking love that thing! 

Cellulose is also fire retardant which is the best thing about it IMO

--------------------

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #417059 - 05/13/10 05:33 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Once I get the ducting on the far side installed I'll take some more pictures but I think everyone knows that's the easy part. Simply attach the ducting through that 6" hole I showed in the first picture, run that to your fan, and then put one of these babies on your fan to prevent any dust or molds from getting sucked in through the wall vent.

Can we get a picture of where the hepa filter is installed in this configuration?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Ojom]
    #417100 - 05/13/10 09:17 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Fuck man, I totally spaced taking pictures of the rest of the installation process because I got so caught up in work. However, in my pictures of the finished product you can see where the ducting from this project enters the grow space, the Hepa Filter will be installed right there.

I've got a guy coming in 20 minutes to install some better interwebs so I can't be in there fucking around, but try to remind me later today and I'll put the filter on and take some pics for you

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #417459 - 05/13/10 09:22 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Why are you lining your wall in white?  :megacrankey:  It way better when it comes to reflecting light!!:megacrankey:

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #417468 - 05/13/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

did you mean to ask why AREN'T I?  The answer is simple; because 1" thick foil-back foam board is $10 per 4x8 sheet, structurally strong enough, and has an R-value of 12.  Can't really beat that.

And honestly, the silver color reflects light more efficiently, just not in a diffuse pattern.  IIRC silver reflects around 95% and flat white is around 92% but the scattering reflection of flat white is technically better for even coverage. Honestly I'm not worried at this point because the only thing happening in there for the next 2 weeks is letting my current crop finish up and then I'm sure I'll have the money for some panda film or something

--------------------

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #417481 - 05/13/10 09:45 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

So you will be blowing through the hepa filter?

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Installing Covert Ventilation and Registers [Re: Ojom]
    #417516 - 05/13/10 10:19 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah you know I meant aren't.  With the insulation I understand using it then I guess.  Def. get some Panda film in there though.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #417602 - 05/14/10 01:34 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ojom said:
So you will be blowing through the hepa filter?

yes. Originally I was planning on using a 6" vortex for the intake, but that shit is way too loud. May have to look into duct mufflers....

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
Yeah you know I meant aren't.  With the insulation I understand using it then I guess.  Def. get some Panda film in there though.

Got any cheap sources? quite frankly I think the silver does a fantastic job as it is... I may see some improvement with the white, but I doubt it will be that significant

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #417605 - 05/14/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just buy it at my grow store.  It's only like 60 bucks for a huge roll of it.  I'd say just throw on a few coats of flat white paint though.

Yeah I bought a 8 inch vortex for filtering the air in my room, SO fucking loud.  I think that I'm going to be putting up insulation and sheet rock.  If that doesn't do the trick I was going to look into a duct muffler for it.

--------------------

-niteowl

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #417608 - 05/14/10 01:57 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Do you know if mufflers are only effective on the exhaust end or do they work to quiet down the intake side as well?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #417610 - 05/14/10 02:20 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I would think it would go both ways.  But I haven't actually used them yet so I'm not real sure.  It seems like the principal would work on with intake and exhaust though ya know!!

--------------------

-niteowl

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates