Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
do these plants have a chance at flowering?
    #405345 - 04/22/10 05:28 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

so..
I germinated some bag seeds 6 weeks ago... they spent their 1st 1 1/2 weeks in a sunny south-facing window.

I then transferred them into a toolshed thinking that I could grow them in the windows out there with clear trashbags taped over them.  There is a window facing south and east but I realized that they are much too shaded.

I transplanted them at about 4 weeks into 3 gallon pots with Jungle Growth moisture control soil.  They transplanted okay.

2 days ago I set up a 4' dual T8 fluorescent shop light +  2 23watt CFLs.

these pics are 6 weeks in

I just applied some Miracle-Gro to them.  I realize that my setup is pretty ghetto.  My goal was to see how few resources I could do this with.  I have 5 plants.  Hoping to figure out the gender soon so I can get the males out and have more light coverage for them. I'm thinking they look pretty stunted. 

Is there any chance that they could recover and flower?  Or would I be better off taking cuttings and trying again?

Edited by screamphilling (04/22/10 05:31 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: screamphilling]
    #405356 - 04/22/10 05:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If that's the setup you plan on using for your grow, then no, you're plants are pretty much as good as dead.  Even if they do flower you'd be lucky to get more then a few grams.

If you can only use CFL's you're going to need a hell of a lot more then you currently have.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: coda]
    #405371 - 04/22/10 05:52 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

If you can only use CFL's you're going to need a hell of a lot more then you currently have.

well I've got a shop lite too.... are T8's any good at all?

if they do produce a few grams I'll consider that a rewarding first try.  I'm not trying to grow crazy dank anything just yet.  I just don't wanna pay the outrageous prices for dirt weed here.  I'm not much of a pot smoker.  I usually have mystical experiences on dirt weed. (not lying)

if nothing grows that's cool too.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #405375 - 04/22/10 05:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

dude, you have to consider cost of this grow !
The cost is gonna out weigh what your gonna get out of it!

consider outdoor.

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #405405 - 04/22/10 06:25 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

well I've got a shop lite too.... are T8's any good at all?

for veg sure, for flowering you'll get piss poor results.  Look at the state of your plants, they're absolutely screaming for more light.  At the rate they're stretching you'll have plants that won't be able to support their foliage, let alone their buds, if you get them to flower.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: coda]
    #405426 - 04/22/10 06:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

well darn on all accounts...that is disappointing but i kinda expected it

good thing I only spent $15.  I will just let these grow and see what happens.  If i'm lucky enough to get them to show their gender then I'll take some cuttings and grow 1 or 2 under better light.  how many ever CFLs it takes...

otherwise, my house does need some cfls and I'll just stick to growing something more legal outdoors... salvia or some chacruna

thanks for the insight

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #406028 - 04/23/10 09:48 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know how much your willing to spend but if you want a fluorescent set up to flower with you should get a 4' 6-8 Tube T5. But if you want the best results for flowering you should get a HPS. The only way you can get around these variable for indoor growing is to skip the indoor part totally and to grow outside.

I would also drop that light down a bit just to see what happens..

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
    #406071 - 04/24/10 12:14 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

outdoor really isn't an option around here but I have thought about going hybrid i.e. growing in the window + some fluorescent over them...

that would be less conspicious but my neighbor might wonder why i have a light on in my toolshed everyday that comes on and off at the same time

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #406080 - 04/24/10 12:53 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That would be just asking to get busted.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #406081 - 04/24/10 01:02 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

There is also the option to make your current space better. There are plenty ways to light proof a area.

OfflineiDl
undecided

#406103 - 04/24/10 08:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

hi screamphilling. like Dephect said, you need to move those lights as close as you can to the plants without burning them. i havent used t8s so i dont know how hot they get but using t12s i've seen clones grow up touching the lights and fixtures with no burning.
You should be able to get some decent tips in a couple weeks to take cuttings and start fresh with better lighting.

Invisiblebrifunforme
Card Holder. Not really
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: iDl]
    #406172 - 04/24/10 11:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Just to give you an idea of how bad your plants are actually doing. Here is a healthy plant at ten days old. Yes its only ten DAYS!

Yours are a month and a half old and look like seedlings. They are only bag seed so at least you didnt lose out on cash for seeds. If I were you I would at least get 150 watt hps. That will help alot. If you're on a tight budget just get a 75 watt HPS from home depot or a similar hardware store. They are sold for outdoor pole lighting and the like. You can get one for like 40 bucks or something.

Start over from new seed and use the fluoro  to germinate. Have the fluoro as close to the soil as possible without heating it up too hot. Also, what are the temps in your shed?
Dont ever cover your plants up with a plastic bag! The same thing happens to the plant that happens to you if you cover your head up with a plastic bag! :p

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: brifunforme]
    #406188 - 04/24/10 12:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I just want to tell you though that none of us are trying to badger you in any way :smile:
We just want you to have the best garden for yourself, and you say you don't want to grow tons of pot now, just wait until your first final harvest that is the best you could do your first time. Its a pretty amazing feeling, and the second harvest when you know what your doing is even better.

Here. You should research here. Its a complete grow guide and will give you basic information about what to do. If you are worried about prying eyes then I also suggest this. Its a great guide on how to build a grow room. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: Dephect]
    #406193 - 04/24/10 12:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Not to play devil's advocate here but I disagree with just about everything said in this thread.  From reading all the responses one would be led to believe that as you have your setup now you will fail, or yield next to nothing.  Well if you flowered them right now you sure wouldn't get much, but there is still potential to get as much as you want from those plants.  I am willing to bet that they are doing much better since you put them under those lights.  Yea you are way behind for their age but that is okay, if you have time to veg them for longer you can make them as big and bushy as you want.  For only a few dollars more you could add a couple more CFLs and have a respectable amount of light that could produce quality buds.  Reading this thread it seems as if everyone is trying to convince you that you must invest in much better than what you have when it might be fine for your needs.  You do not have to get "piss poor results" from CFLs, that is just ridiculous.  I can post pictures of my "piss poor" buds grow from strictly CFLs that might change your mind.  I grow under HPS now, but if I weren't such a heavy smoker, I probably wouldn't, as there would be no reason to invest the extra money for surplus harvests. 

I'm a heavy smoker and smoked my first grow for months from a setup very
comparable to what you have.  You may need to do more research to get your technique with nutes and pH down, I don't know your level of gardening, but this air of pessimism needed to be corrected.

Offlinescreamphilling
Stranger
Re: do these plants have a chance at flowering? [Re: dutc2006]
    #406251 - 04/24/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

thank you, dutc2006...
I do understand that I have a very amateur and underpowered setup, I'm not gonna try and hide that.  Sharing your experience makes me feel somewhat encouraged, even if these don't bud.

brifunforme: I didn't cover the plants with a bag, just the windows

I purchased some more cfl's and I'm up to 10,000 lumens... very underpowered still but I'm gonna  see what happens.  Also lowered the 48" light

the shed is made of concrete, well-ventilated, and sits under oak trees so it stays relatively cool in the summer.  I went to the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico and all the buildings were made of concrete.  I was surprised how cool they stayed in the summer.

Edited by screamphilling (04/24/10 07:26 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds