Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
Question about sex of plants
    #394829 - 04/02/10 08:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, it has to do with hermaphrodites.  When you buy a sack of mids and it's got some seeds, that would be a hermaphrodite plant that it came from, correct?  Therefore, the plants that might be grown in the future from those seeds will also be hermaphrodites, right?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: Question about sex of plants [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #394833 - 04/02/10 08:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

they arent necessarily hermaphrodites. it easily could have been grown outdoors. in that case, there were probably some males that werent pulled, so they knocked up the female plants, hence, shitload of seeds.

my plants went hermie during growth due to stress, but i only ended up with 1-2 undeveloped seeds per plant.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: Question about sex of plants [Re: Pilze]
    #394836 - 04/02/10 08:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

say i have a female plant and it gets stressed and makes a few seeds, these seeds will be guaranteed females. (thats how they do it if you didnt know) now, that is UNLESS the plant in question has hermaphrodite tendencies in its genetics to begin with. in that case, the seeds will be hermaphrodites. if the plant got knocked up by a male plant, then your seeds could be either male, female, or hermaphrodite.

i hope this helped.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#394852 - 04/02/10 09:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
they arent necessarily hermaphrodites. it easily could have been grown outdoors. in that case, there were probably some males that werent pulled, so they knocked up the female plants, hence, shitload of seeds.

my plants went hermie during growth due to stress, but i only ended up with 1-2 undeveloped seeds per plant.

It's not a shitload of seeds though, not a little bit, but not a lot either, know what I mean??  And hardly any undeveloped, they're all good ones.  So say it was a herm, these seeds could be male, female, or herm?  In any case, it could be a female even if it came from a male, female, or herm plant?  The chances of it being female are just lower if it was herm, and even LOWER if it was a male?  And that goes for every seed.  And the majority of the seeds will be what the plant they came from was?

That's my theory anyway, please don't be too harsh if I sound like a dumbass.  Sorry for all the newb questions, I appreciate your help man.

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#394862 - 04/02/10 09:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

youre cool homie.

if the plant originally had hermaphrodite genetics in it and it produced all of those seeds, then all of those seeds are going to be hermaphrodites.

if the plant was originally a female with no hermaphrodite tendencies in the genetics, and it got knocked up by a male plant and produced those seeds, the seeds can and will be either male, female, or hermaphrodite.

if the plant is 100% female and you stress it, it can and will produce seeds which are guaranteed to be females.

do you get it?

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#394863 - 04/02/10 09:17 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
youre cool homie.

if the plant originally had hermaphrodite genetics in it and it produced all of those seeds, then all of those seeds are going to be hermaphrodites.

if the plant was originally a female with no hermaphrodite tendencies in the genetics, and it got knocked up by a male plant and produced those seeds, the seeds can and will be either male, female, or hermaphrodite.

if the plant is 100% female and you stress it, it can and will produce seeds which are guaranteed to be females.

do you get it?

Yeah, I get it :lol: I'm :awehigh: n shit, thanks for breakin it down.  One more question though.  Look up to the bold, red shit in your quote.  Is it like 33.3% for the three?  Like just a crapshoot?  Or does it have a better chance of being any one of the three?  And thanks for tellin me about femanized seeds.  I always wondered about how they did that, but I'm not far enough along for it to be a real concern to me.  I've done a lot of reading on the actual cult of the plants, but genetics and sexing I'm just now getting into again.  Kinda just went through it before when I was getting some basics down, but the time has come for me to really need to understand the technicalities of sex and genetics and all that.

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Perscribing Mushrooms Is Fun
Male

#394866 - 04/02/10 09:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Great info guys even for my noob ass lol.

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK
EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO CULTIVATE MUSHROOMS

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#394868 - 04/02/10 09:39 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

no problem man. :awesome: honestly, i have no idea on the chances of getting male, female, or hermaphrodide would be. i just know those are the possibilities. :shrug: lol. it might be 33.3% like you said, although something tells me its more likely (and equally likely) to be male or female and less likely to be a hermaphrodite, but the chance is always there.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#394872 - 04/02/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Damion5050 said:
Great info guys even for my noob ass lol.

I'm a noob too, don't worry :rofl:  Welcome to the growery btw man, you're pretty new I see. :getstoned:  Stick around a while, lots o learnin to be done on this site.:thumbup:

Quote:

Pilze said:
no problem man. :awesome: honestly, i have no idea on the chances of getting male, female, or hermaphrodide would be. i just know those are the possibilities. :shrug: lol. it might be 33.3% like you said, although something tells me its more likely (and equally likely) to be male or female and less likely to be a hermaphrodite, but the chance is always there.

Ok cool, I gotcha man.  :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#394875 - 04/02/10 09:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah I only have 2 grows under my belt and both where about 8 years ago when I was young and trying to grow out of my closet in my apt way back when lol.  I am about to start growing once I move and get my card !!

Question.  U guys say u can stress a female to get her to drop seeds that will then be females.  I was wondering the easiest way to go about doing that ?  Just for future reference lol.

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

Live well, laugh often, love much.  --  Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone.  --  Dont follow the beaten path. Go your own way and leave a trail.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: Question about sex of plants [Re: Damion5050]
    #394878 - 04/02/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

put the plant(s) into 12/12, then 2-3 weeks in, flip it back to 24 for 2-3 days, then back to 12/12. then youll have seeds :wink:

Edited by Pilze (04/02/10 09:55 PM)

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#394883 - 04/02/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

wow that seems aweful easy lol does it matter wether you are in the beginning or ending parts of the flowering stage ?

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: Question about sex of plants [Re: Damion5050]
    #394884 - 04/02/10 09:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

gotta do it in the beginning so the seed has time to fully develop.

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#394887 - 04/02/10 09:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

Thx.. I will have to do that then once I know I got a female I will have to stress out on of the cuttings when the time comes.

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#394891 - 04/02/10 10:00 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't know it was that easy either.  I was thinking you had to like breed 3 or 4 times with phenos and 2nd generations and all that goodness :lol:

--------------------

OfflineDamion5050
Male

#394895 - 04/02/10 10:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

LoL.  Well it's not lol deprive her of light and we are good to go. :thumbup:

--------------------
AMU - Q&A
MY GROW LOG
MY ELEMENTARY COIR TEK

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#394901 - 04/02/10 10:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

phenotypes are just the characteristics of the strain that are present. like the plant in your signature on the far left. that plant presents a phenotype of having purple calyxes and leaves and displays it quite nicely there :smile:

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

#394905 - 04/02/10 10:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

by the way, if anyone finds anything wrong in anything ive said, please correct me!!! id like to know!!! thanks.

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#394919 - 04/02/10 10:15 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
phenotypes are just the characteristics of the strain that are present. like the plant in your signature on the far left. that plant presents a phenotype of having purple calyxes and leaves and displays it quite nicely there :smile:

Ok, ok, I gotcha.  People always said phenotype #3 and phenotype #4 n shit.  I thought it was like the 3rd and 4th generation from one mother or something.

Quote:

Pilze said:
by the way, if anyone finds anything wrong in anything ive said, please correct me!!! id like to know!!! thanks.

Surely won't be me that does it :lol:  I am gonna watch the thread though and see if anything gets corrected.

--------------------

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

#395303 - 04/03/10 02:27 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Pilze said:
put the plant(s) into 12/12, then 2-3 weeks in, flip it back to 24 for 2-3 days, then back to 12/12. then youll have seeds :wink:

That will give you seeds, but those seeds will have a much higher herm rate. The best plant to get feminized seeds from is one that resists herming after stressing it. Then hit it with some colloidal silver...

http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/123546#123546

But I'm also maxed out on noobness so I have no idea really what im talking about...

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck