Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineaysen
Stranger

First Grow.. Soil Q
    #382422 - 03/12/10 10:54 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

So i have some foxfarm seed starter and my babies are comin throu the soil now

when do i need to transplant to the 3 gal pots and change the soil to ocean forest

also i know nothing about nutrients and when to feed them.. so i need a good bit of help on that one

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Grow.. Soil Q [Re: aysen]
    #382445 - 03/12/10 11:49 AM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Rule of thumb: Don't start plants until you know how to grow them.

That said, you want to wait to transplant until they have their second set of true leaves.  I wouldn't go straight to 3 gallon pots though, as it will be hard to control the moisture levels in them.
I go from plugs to 1-2 liter pots to the final growing medium/containers.
Do you have nutrients yet?  If not, go talk to a local hydro store about a basic Fox Farm lineup and go from there.
There is not enough space to detail everything you need to know about nutes, so you're gonna learn by trial and error.

Your research is clearly lacking, so better start cramming, cuz those plants aren't gonna stop growing now.  And you need to know how to take care of them.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Offlineaysen
Stranger

Re: First Grow.. Soil Q [Re: 81renaissance]
    #382520 - 03/12/10 01:52 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

right i just wasnt sure since ive heard foxfarm has enough nutes in it already i didnt want to cause burn

thanks bub

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #382823 - 03/12/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Well in the beginning they have enough nutrients in them.  But by far not enough to get you all the way through the grow.  Esp. in pots as little as 3 gallons.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineBuddy Guy
Gone Rogue

Loc: Unknown
Re: First Grow.. Soil Q [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #382833 - 03/12/10 11:25 PM (14 years, 20 days ago)

Go ahead and transplant your seedlings like mr. 81 said. When you get your first set of true leaves into those 3 gallon pot you have.

Don't feed them until they enter veg. Marijuana seeds have enough stored energy in their husks to carry them all the way through seedling phase. The first 3-4 weeks. After that they will enter vegetative growth phase characterized by excelled growth. I begin feeding at the first slightest signs of a N deficiency. Something to keep in mind when planning a Nutrient regimen. http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/377620

I also agree with Mr.81 on the point that you need to have an extensive conversation with your local hydro store owner on the subject.

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #387356 - 03/20/10 06:09 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

One of the main keys to a healthy fast growing plant is unrestricted root growth, that said, yes, directly planting into a 3 gallon pot will give you some moisture control issues that can easily be avoided by knowing your plant and medium of which you are growing in.

Restricting a plants roots will cause it to grow very slow and smaller which in some cases is is what you want, for instance putting a sativa in a 3 gallon pot and into flowering, the plant wont produce to its full potential but will stay alot shorter than if planted into a bigger pot. I wait for the seedling stage to end, about 3 to 4 weeks from germ to start feeding, I transplant almost rite away when the plant either has its first pair of tru leaves or the taproot comes out the bottom which ever comes first usually this happens around the same time. But I transplant only once then clone then when these clones are rooted they move directly to 3 gal pots with no problem (I also kno my setup very well allowing me to do so)

Transplanting is the second most tramatic experience for a plant next to cloning, this is why I would not recomend contiously doing it, and when done do it at night or just before the dark period to give time to recover. Transplanting, even tho tramatic can also save a rootbound plant. Also, one of the biggest causes for uneven moisture is transplanting into a medium that is not the same as the original, causing pressure differential that slows water movement and causes roots to grow slower.
Now I dont and wont use foxfarm so I cant give info on it, but I will say that if transplanting means putting them into a nute rich soil before they are ready for it then no dont do this. I feel im forgeting something but whatever ill figure it out lol, good luck, OH thats what it was, I forget who said it but they were rite, dont trust the people at the grow store, they are salemen and will lead you to believe you need everything lol. Grab a good book like J. Cervantes MJ Horticulture the gorwers bible and read that its a great book, those who kno can back me on this. Again good luck:thumbup:

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Edited by Union420 (03/20/10 06:39 PM)

Offlineaysen
Stranger

Re: First Grow.. Soil Q [Re: Union420]
    #387384 - 03/20/10 07:13 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

so when is the seedling phase last? its only been a lil over a week and i have my 2 node and goin for 3rd .. 2 sets of fan leaves and any day its goin branch again

i have some seedlings already pokin throu the bottom in my seed starter tray

OfflineUnion420
Horticulturist

Loc: New World
    #387394 - 03/20/10 07:39 PM (14 years, 12 days ago)

The seedling stage lasts for about a month,3 to 4 weeks, fast growing plants finish up in 3 thats when you want to start feeding normally (this is a general rule of thumb).Or, you can start feeding when the plant has 3 pairs of tru leaves (thus indicating its nearing the end of its stage) but with a mild solution. I start feeding at this point but for a reason that I wont go into right now but read over this http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/386937#386937

Your seedling can be transplanted now IF, the medium to which your transplanting dosent contain alot of nutes or it will burn the small plants.

I go from plugs straight to 3gal pots of flushed coir. I supply nutes when the plant has 3 pairs of tru leaves, for me thats around the time the seedling stage ends give or take, depending alot on the plant itself and how fast it grows. Coir when flushed contains very little for the plants so it dosent burn them when small. Like I said I dont use Foxfarm so I dont kno exactly whats in it, if you can tell me what the NPK of the soil you plan to transplant to is I can give you a better answer as to do it or not. An easy answer to you would be get beer cups you kno the dixie ones and fill it with perlite then insert your plug nessled nicely into the moist perlite, make a terrarium over the cup and mist to keep the perlite moist. The roots will grow out of the plug and fill the cup. By the time the seedling stage ends there should be a good amount of roots in the cup that you can wash the perlite away from then carefully transplant the small plant into the final soil its to be housed in.

Also, if you go with the perlite and cup way, make sure to have good venting in the terrarium part and only mist the perlite, you dont want the seedling to stay drenched or it will sometimes cause damping off so be carefull when managing humidity, keep it around 60 or 70 try not to go higher in any case even without a terrarium or you can run into alot of problems like mold, damping off, choking the plant ect.

--------------------
Everything is fictional, I dont even exist.

Edited by Union420 (03/20/10 08:37 PM)

OfflineFick
Stranger than you
Male

Re: First Grow.. Soil Q [Re: Union420]
    #388697 - 03/23/10 11:52 AM (14 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Union420 said: Grab a good book like J. Cervantes MJ Horticulture the growers bible and read that its a great book, those who kno can back me on this. :thumbup:

I couldn't agree more. Of the 3 books I have, that's my favorite. :awedrugs:

--------------------
"Don't do drugs because if you do drugs you'll go to prison, and drugs are really expensive in prison." - John Hardwick

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck