Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Are generic lights worse?
    #384708 - 03/16/10 05:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Made this post already at Shroomery but was hoping for a better answer.

I'm looking at a 400w switchable MH/HPS complete light system that is extremely cheap ($160) but I don't know it it'll have less lumens than a more expensive set, or if it'll just be worse in some way I hadn't even thought of.

Here's the details they provide on it, let me know what ya think:

Product Features
Includes one High Pressure Sodium (HPS) bulb (400W) and one Metal Halide (MH) bulb (400W)
Electronic ballast truly supports both High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide (MH) bulbs (conversion bulbs not required)
Electronic ballast is UL listed, CE certified
Two-year manufacturer warranty on electronic ballast
Quality light reflector

Product Description
This 400W hydroponics lighting system represents the best value grow light. Its advanced integrated electronic ballast supports both High Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide (MH) bulbs, giving the grower the flexibility to choose the best selection simply by changing the bulb, instead of having to own two separate light systems.MH is used for accelerated vegetative growth, then switch to HPS to encourage flowering, fruiting and budding Quality light reflector  Power cord included  Lamp cord included  Discreet packaging Reasons to Choose Digital Electronic Ballast:  Fast startup - reaches full brightness in less than 1/4 the time of most magnetic ballasts  Completely silent - no more of the humming and buzzing  Small, compact design - most electronic models weigh less than 10 pounds compared to 44 pounds for magnetic ballasts  Longer bulb life - lumen output loss over time is dramatically less than with magnetic ballats  Electronic ballast lights both MH and HPS lamps  More lumen output - up to 20% more lumen output than regular ballasts  Heat sink technology - no fans to break down and make noise; fan-cooled ballasts have a higher failure rate Light Fixture Specification:  Fixture Size: 18.5" x 15" x 4.5"  Total Weight: 15 Lb Note:  Actual reflector hood may be slightly different from photo Electronic Ballast Parameters: Input Characteristics: Output Characteristics Rated Voltage: 120V Harmonic Distortion:<10% Input Current: 3.52A Crest Factor:<1.7 Frequency:50Hz/60Hz Frequency (Hz):25kHz ~ 100kHz Power Factor:>0.99 Loss of Input Watts (%):<10% Total Luminous Flux:>41,000Lm Energy Saving:30%

--------------------

It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are generic lights worse? [Re: ChillWillis]
    #384717 - 03/16/10 05:07 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well that reflector is a piece of shit, so that's probably half of the price savings right there

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Are generic lights worse? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #384729 - 03/16/10 05:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How much is decent reflector? Does it matter very much? and can I just slap the bulb onto another ballast if I buy one?

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #384731 - 03/16/10 05:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well that's exactly where you run into problems. It's very hard to say if a different reflector will work with that ballast. Yes that bulb will work with basically ANY reflector, but who knows if that ballast is compatible with major reflector brands.

And a good reflector can be had for as little as $100

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Are generic lights worse? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #384740 - 03/16/10 05:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Holy shit man that's fucked, I never realized it was such a techy thing.. and I'm glad you realized I was talking about the reflector being compatible with the ballast not the not the bulb with the ballast :P

I wanna call the guy that's selling it and ask him what kind of reflector I'll get because it says in description that you may not get the one that's pictured.
Then I want to ask what reflectors the ballast is compatible with, what kinds of reflectors do I want it to be compatible with?

I've eluded learning about lights for too long. Fuckin' 150w hps all in one sunsystem that I have has sheltered me from this kind of learning.

--------------------

Edited by ChillWillis (03/16/10 05:45 PM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #384749 - 03/16/10 05:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well every brand of reflector uses different receptacles for their hoods.  And there are so many different brands out there.  Sunsystem is the one I've been using, but there are so many out there and  a lot of them are good.

What your wanting to look for in a reflector is whether it's able to be vented to help keep it cool or not.  The one pictured obviously can't.  Here's a good place to start.

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/search.cgi?terms=Indoor_Plant_Lighting::Reflectors&category=Indoor_Plant_Lighting+:+Reflectors

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are generic lights worse? [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #384753 - 03/16/10 06:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

After thought, there are adapters you can get as to hook up different ballasts and reflectors.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#384766 - 03/16/10 06:12 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Oh really the idea of an adapter seems promising especially since I can't call the guy apparently. I don't really understand why a ballast wouldn't hook up to any of those reflectors in the link, although I've never dealt with a system that you have to set up. As I said the light I have now is a sunsystem all in one hps.

So it's not the shape that matter but the ability to eliminate heat? Is it illogical to make your own heat vents with a drill or reciprocating saw (aka sawzall)?

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #384796 - 03/16/10 06:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well with the reflector that your referring to in your first post would need a lot of alterations to make it ventable.  It wouldn't just be cutting a couple of quick holes in it.

Here's an example of a high quality reflector

http://www.rvfgardensupply.com/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=904500

This one's a little bit pricey, but there are one's out there that are comparable to this and cheaper.  If you look at the design of it, you'll see that it's completely sealed.  That allows you to vent air from outside, through your lights, and then back outside without disturbing the air in your grow room.

If your looking at needing to vent the inside air you can also just vent your room air through the reflector then outside, since you should be having a constant flow of air through in your grow room to begin with.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #384830 - 03/16/10 06:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

a GOOD generic whatever that is...but a good generic company now days since growing is so big now like you can find them

im sorry im high, but if you find a trustworthy one...or build it yourself then yeaa

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

#384848 - 03/16/10 06:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That's a great idea to go cheap and to kill two birds.. Have a fan sucking air out of the room through the light reflector.

My previous grow room (closet) didn't get much air exchange at all. I rigged up a big fan blowing into the closet, a little one blowing just next to the plant, and another medium sized fan hanging from a coat hanger blowing air out. At my next apt. I hope to build a nicer room with more space available hopefully.

--------------------

OfflineChillWillis
old school fool

Re: Are generic lights worse? [Re: mhbound]
    #384850 - 03/16/10 06:59 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
a GOOD generic whatever that is...but a good generic company now days since growing is so big now like you can find them

im sorry im high, but if you find a trustworthy one...or build it yourself then yeaa

Wow you must be high as fuck because that makes very little sense to me

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #384854 - 03/16/10 07:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ChillWillis said:
Quote:

mhbound said:

Wow you must be high as fuck because that makes very little sense to me

It didn't make much sense to me either.

--------------------

-niteowl

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #384992 - 03/16/10 08:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

me either thats why i just gave up...shouldnt have even hit submit but i was so high i just couldnt comprehend that at the time

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale