Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

# of Plants and how much wattage?
    #382671 - 03/12/10 06:23 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Ok so...in my grow journal TrueHerb stated that my current light setup (around 160 total watts with CFL's) is definitely adequate enough to veg three plants.

Well, I decided to start germinating like 6 more seeds...I so I have the potential to be growing 9 plants.

How much more wattage am I going to need if I have 9 plants vegging? My guess would be at least 900 right?

And then even more wattage when they start flowering? Or just different K spectrum?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: hopanshrubman]
    #382678 - 03/12/10 06:39 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

900 more Watts? That's a pretty serious amount of light man. If you can do that it would be awesome, but you could get away with less.

It really depends on your space and the size of the plants though. I have 9 plants right now under 1200W of HPS but they're all huge plants and they're in a 4x4 closet so I have enough room to be dealing with that amount of light

--------------------

Offlinekln
Stranger
 User Gallery

#382679 - 03/12/10 06:40 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Ok so...in my grow journal TrueHerb stated that my current light setup (around 160 total watts with CFL's) is definitely adequate enough to veg three plants.

Well, I decided to start germinating like 6 more seeds...I so I have the potential to be growing 9 plants.

How much more wattage am I going to need if I have 9 plants vegging? My guess would be at least 900 right?

And then even more wattage when they start flowering? Or just different K spectrum?

You can make it with a 400W MH, it will be cheaper then 700W of cfl's, ofc the ideal would be a 600W MH.

for flowering you could get a HPS bulb and switch with the MH, and add your cfl's in there.

I like to use 1:2 ratio max. (6500K & 2700K)
But i've seen good results with a mix of spectrums during flowering.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: kln]
    #382692 - 03/12/10 07:00 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Thanks guys.

I think I am just going to double up on my current cfl setup for vegging and then just buy an HPS....actually I saw these 1000w HID lights at an electric store for forty bux. All I would need is a ballast and reflector and I'd be set.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #382704 - 03/12/10 07:14 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

The ballast and the reflector are the expensive parts

--------------------

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #382710 - 03/12/10 07:23 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Shit. Well, I think I am going to stick with CFL's anyway. I kind of have a light setup design that I want to go through with..

I'm thinking...by the time I get to flowering stages..I will have four 42 watt CFL's, 12 27 watt CFL's and one or two 105 watt CFL's.

Should be sufficient I suppose...and with the individual lights I can set them up however I want wherever I want, instead of just all in one central place with the light reflected onto my plants.

Edit : Just did the math and it totaled 597 watts. So with nine plants that would be 66.33_ watts per plant.

Edited by hopanshrubman (03/12/10 07:25 PM)

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #382743 - 03/12/10 07:49 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:

Shit. Well, I think I am going to stick with CFL's anyway. I kind of have a light setup design that I want to go through with..

I'm thinking...by the time I get to flowering stages..I will have four 42 watt CFL's, 12 - 27 watt CFL's and one or two 105 watt CFL's.

Should be sufficient I suppose...and with the individual lights I can set them up however I want wherever I want, instead of just all in one central place with the light reflected onto my plants.

Edit : Just did the math and it totaled 597 watts. So with nine plants that would be 66.33_ watts per plant.

Should be?! I think maybe a little much, considering how well Inverted's did with just 22 watts per plant to 8" high. I think that's pretty amazing if you ask me.

One thing you got to be carefull with all that lights is (A) shorts and (B) heat. Shorts in your wiring could be dangerous. Make sure your plug/wiring system can handle those wattages. And heat, well that's dangerous to your little seedlings. I wouldn't use that much for when they sprout: its *way* too much.

I bet you could grow the seedlings for about a week on just one 27 watt bulb, but I don't have the experience to back-up that claim, just going off how well Inverted's plants are doing. Of course, more light is always better, but at the same time, you don't wanna waste electricity (and money) for nothing.

Also, when you get the CFL bulbs, make sure the color is between 5,000K and 6,500K. Its the best color range for vegging. Strangely, Inverted use's 2,700K color ones (usually used for flowering) for his vegging plants, and they turned out great, so either color works. The choice is yours. For my grow, I wanted to keep it more "natural", so I went with a color range that "simulates" sunlight, which is the 5,000K to 6,500K range.

Good Luck fellow CFL grower!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #382751 - 03/12/10 08:01 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I see what you are saying. I am not going to be making any major buys in the near future anyways, as I only have three seeds planted right now.

I guess I am going to just get all those lights just in case I feel like growing bushes. I do plan on topping my plants at least once, maybe twice, and figured I would need a lot of light in order to get all the budding points and to promote stronger, healthier growth.

9 bushy plants would probably require the amount of light I plan on using in the end right? Or no?

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#382774 - 03/12/10 08:55 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I think you should think more about what you want them to look like mid-flower. 

I'd think about the size of your flowering room...  I've heard a decent rule is that you can get away with 1/3 the light during veg that you'll use during flower.  This makes sense if you consider a max stretch of about 3X when they were flipped.

Also how many of those seeds will be male? Maybe you're using fem seeds, but I've been getting mature sexable plants at 4 weeks with 27w a plant.  At that point you could cull the males and possibly double the amount of light you're giving the girls.

Also I'd figure on most 4 week old plants needing about a square foot a piece in the flower room.  You could probably fit more with smaller plants which = less veg light and/or veg time....

So anyway, I think you should plan long-term and build short-term to fit.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: DudeTron]
    #382779 - 03/12/10 09:08 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Well the closet I am growing in could easily fit twenty plants if they all needed one square foot of room. So its adequate. I don't know if the seeds I am using are fem'd or not...I guess we will have to see.

Quote:

I'd think about the size of your flowering room...  I've heard a decent rule is that you can get away with 1/3 the light during veg that you'll use during flower.  This makes sense if you consider a max stretch of about 3X when they were flipped.

This part I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about to be honest. The bold parts mostly

InvisibleAmnesiac

Loc: Under the sea
    #382781 - 03/12/10 09:12 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I think he is talking about the rapid growth spurt that most plants undergo after you switch the light to 12/12. Plants can double or even triple their size during this period.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: Amnesiac]
    #382782 - 03/12/10 09:14 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Ok that makes sense. Yeah the closet is like...8-9 feet tall? So I think I have enough head room for plants to grow as tall as they want.

OfflineDieselB
High Watt Closet
Male

#382798 - 03/12/10 09:34 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

DudeTron said:
I think you should think more about what you want them to look like mid-flower. 

Also how many of those seeds will be male? Maybe you're using fem seeds, but I've been getting mature sexable plants at 4 weeks with 27w a plant.  At that point you could cull the males and possibly double the amount of light you're giving the girls.

Also I'd figure on most 4 week old plants needing about a square foot a piece in the flower room.  You could probably fit more with smaller plants which = less veg light and/or veg time....

So anyway, I think you should plan long-term and build short-term to fit.

There's no relation mathematically to how much veg light opposed to flower light you should give. Some people veg with lower watts, mainly as a cost effective measure. Watch the people with successful grows, they veg with the same wattage as they flower. (Most cases)

Second, removing males from the grow area does not increase light whatsoever. It may allow less coverage so that the other plants may utilize the available light.

ShrubMan, you're doing things a little backwards, man.. You need to stop getting ahead of yourself so much or you're bound to fail.
You need to research first, then plan your grow, then research some more, and then you might be ready to start seedlings. If you're not ready for all the possibilities before you start, plants can die really fast. And it could be your whole crop..

Read, read, read, and read some more. Make it a point to spend any free time you can on here. Set yourself a goal of just reading 5 threads start to finish everyday and you'll be educated in no time. My favorite thing to do is, every time I get on and read the new threads, I pick a couple common threads from the list on the bottom of the screen and read start to finish. Even though I'm 10 years deep into this hobby, there's always more to learn, and stuff to brush up on.

--------------------
If you ain't smokin' dro, you're smokin' reggie. :shrug:

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: DieselB]
    #382799 - 03/12/10 09:45 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I usually spend most of my free time on here haha. I got some friends IRL helping me out with shit too, everything seems to be going fine right now I am just too worried about the future.

Definitely going to have to settle down and be patient though, I'm just super excited!!!

Maybe I am making it more complicated then it really is?

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #382802 - 03/12/10 09:50 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Definitely going to have to settle down and be patient though, I'm just super excited!!!

Maybe I am making it more complicated then it really is?

I think you nailed it!

I've seen grows on here that was done with a lot less than your proposing...

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

No need to over-do-it. Just add bulbs as your plants get bigger. You definitely don't need 60 watts of CFL for a baby seedling. In fact, it might fry it from the heat.

Good luck and stay exciting! :vaped::thumbup:

Isn't growing :awesome:?!
~ TrueHerbCrystal ~

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#382805 - 03/12/10 10:17 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

TrueHerb you are basically my fuckin hero. I just read through your whole grow log...WOW! You went through some shit with that one plant, I hope it turns out to be amazing for you!

And yes, growing is a HUGE MINDDUSHAUISHUFUCK! for me at least. I just wrapped my little pots with saran, and turned the lights on, after observing your log for a bit.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery

#382807 - 03/12/10 10:25 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

hopanshrubman said:
Quote:

This part I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about to be honest. The bold parts mostly

Basically all that meant is a 200w veg room can easily supply a 600-800 watt flower room....

Quote:

DieselB said:
Second, removing males from the grow area does not increase light whatsoever. It may allow less coverage so that the other plants may utilize the available light.

That's likely the case with one or two HIDs but with smaller CFLs dangling about the room, less plants can mean a smaller footprint and more bulbs per plant with a little rearranging...

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
No need to over-do-it. Just add bulbs as your plants get bigger.

Anyway man THC said it... Since you've already got babies, just keep reading and giving them what they need and you'll be fine.  It's gonna be a great learning experience no matter how much you plan.

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

#382808 - 03/12/10 10:27 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I've been meaning to ask you guys...a friend gave me this GREEN GREEN brand fertilizer. Told me he used it with his plants without any fail.

Anyone ever heard of it or used it? I looked it up and I guess its LUCKY BAMBOO fertilizer lol.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #382837 - 03/12/10 11:37 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

I wouldn't use it personally :shrug:

Fertilizer is one of those areas where spending the money for the real shit is absolutely worth it in the long run

--------------------

Offlinehopanshrubman
The Rabble Rouser

Re: # of Plants and how much wattage? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #382839 - 03/12/10 11:42 PM (14 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
I wouldn't use it personally :shrug:

Fertilizer is one of those areas where spending the money for the real shit is absolutely worth it in the long run

Yeah. I plan on basically devoting a whole paycheck to getting fox farms whole line of shit.

Once I introduce nutes to my plants shit will get even more complicated I assume?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck