Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Loc: Austin , TX
8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti
    #374508 - 02/27/10 09:40 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Huge quake hits Chile, sparks tsunami alert
More than 120 dead; dangerous waves threaten countries around Pacific

Tsunami Threatens 1/4 Globe

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35615455/ns/world_news-americas?GT1=43001

NBC, msnbc.com and news services
updated 4 minutes ago

SANTIAGO, Chile - A devastating magnitude 8-8 earthquake struck Chile early Saturday, toppling homes, collapsing bridges and spawning a tsunami that threatened every nation around the Pacific Ocean — roughly a quarter of the globe.

President-elect Sebastian Pinera said more than 120 people died, but the death toll was rising quickly.

Local radio reported up to 150 could have been killed or hurt in a collapsed 14-story building in the hard-hit Concepcion, where firemen were working to put out fires throughout the city. One fire was in the science department in the local university.

Buildings were damaged in the capital Santiago, more than 200 miles away from the epicenter.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake struck 56 miles northeast of the city of Concepcion at a depth of 22 miles at 3:34 a.m. (1:34 a.m. ET). It was felt in Buenos Aires, Argentina, which is located more than 800 miles away.

Jessica Sigala, a geophysicist with the USGS told NBC News that the quake released 500 times more energy than the than the one that hit Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on Jan 12.

Blazing buildings
At least 23 aftershocks were reported, including one registering at 6.9 on the Richter scale.

TV Chile reported that a 15-story building collapsed in Concepcion, where buildings caught fire, bridges collapsed and cracks opened up in the streets. Cars turned upside down lay scattered on one damaged highway bridge.

In the town of Talca, about 65 miles from the epicenter, Associated Press journalist Roberto Candia said it felt as if a giant had grabbed him and shaken him.

Image: Earthquake location
Map locates offshore epicenter in Chile
The town's historic center, filled with buildings of adobe mud and straw, largely collapsed, though most of those were businesses that were not inhabited when the quake struck. Neighbors pulled at least five people from the rubble while emergency workers, themselves disoriented, asked for information from reporters.

Many roads were destroyed, and electricity, water and phone lines were cut to many areas — meaning there was no word of death or damage from many outlying areas.

In the capital of Santiago, 200 miles northeast of the epicenter, a car dangled from a collapsed overpass, the national Fine Arts Museum was badly damaged and an apartment building's two-story parking lot pancaked, smashing about 50 cars whose alarms rang incessantly.

Jen Ross, a journalist based in Santiago, told NBC's TODAY that she felt "three minutes of shaking".

Experts warned that  a tsunami could strike anywhere in the Pacific, and Hawaii could face its largest waves since 1964 starting at 11:19 a.m. (4:19 p.m. EST), according to Charles McCreery, director of the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.

"Urgent action should be taken to protect lives and property," the Warning Center said in a bulletin. "All shores are at risk no matter which direction they face."

Tsunami waves were likely to hit Asian, Australian and New Zealand shores within 24 hours of the earthquake. The U.S. West Coast and Alaska, too, were threatened.

Reuters reported that a tsunami caused by the quake caused "serious damage" to Chile's sparsely populated Juan Fernández Islands, where Scottish sailor Alexander Selkirk was marooned in the 18th Century inspiring the novel Robinson Crusoe.

Santiago's international airport was closed for at least 24 hours as the quake destroyed passenger walkways and shook glass out of doors and windows.

In the moments after the quake, people streamed onto the streets of the capital, hugging each other and crying.

Broadcaster TVN reported that several hospitals had suffered structural damage and had been evacuated.

'It's like the end of the world'
"Never in my life have I experienced a quake like this, it's like the end of the world," one man told local television from the city of Temuco, where the quake damaged buildings.

Simon Shalders, who lives in Santiago, told Sky News: "There was a lot of movement. The houses were really shaking, walls were moving backwards and forwards, and doors were swinging open.

"Santiago has got a history of earthquakes and basically there's not a lot of old construction in Santiago because of these earthquakes.

"The new buildings in Santiago are designed to withstand fairly strong quakes and they probably held up pretty well."

There were blackouts in parts of Santiago and communications were still down in the area closest to the epicenter.

Santiago resident Leo Perioto told CNN that "windows were wobbling a lot" in his six-story building.

"The whole building was shaking," he added. "We could feel the walls moving from side to side."

An earthquake of magnitude 8 or over can cause "tremendous damage," the USGS said. The quake that devastated Port-au-Prince on Jan. 12 was rated magnitude 7.

According to a 2002 census, Concepcion is one of the largest cities in Chile with a population of around 670,000.

In 1960, Chile was hit by the world's biggest earthquake since records dating back to 1900.

The 9.5 magnitude quake devastated the south-central city of Valdivia, killing 1,655 people and sending a tsunami which battered Easter Island 2,300 miles off Chile's Pacific seaboard and continued as far as Hawaii, Japan and the Philippines

40% of US Air Force ordered out of Middle East to Coastal Asian Pacific for evac

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheCrunchyBisquit
Baked to a Crisp

Loc: In The Garden Of Eden
Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: Homosapian]
    #374510 - 02/27/10 09:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Shit. :eek:

--------------------
:salmon: I hate my sig :salmon:

InvisibleGetTheFuckOut
Long Gone.
 User Gallery

#374515 - 02/27/10 09:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

are you Dystopia?

--------------------
Let the faggots have it all.  Keep the shit.

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: GetTheFuckOut]
    #374520 - 02/27/10 10:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

no why would you say that ?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#374523 - 02/27/10 10:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Man.... it's just one disaster after another.... :nonono:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: TomCollins]
    #374526 - 02/27/10 10:24 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

We here on the islands got a rude awakening this morning! The Tsunami warning sirens started going off at 7 am this morning. So here i sit waiting to see what will happen. They are saying we are expecting in 3 hours a significant event. Which so far i have heard an estimated 12 foot sea rise. This is the first tsumani warning for me of this caliber.

Sucks all the earthquakes lately!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: TomCollins]
    #374527 - 02/27/10 10:26 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

We here on the islands got a rude awakening this morning! The Tsunami warning sirens started going off at 7 am this morning. So here i sit waiting to see what will happen. They are saying we are expecting in 3 hours a significant event. Which so far i have heard an estimated 12 foot sea rise. This is the first tsumani warning for me of this caliber. It is 7:24 am here now and they are predicting the waves if any to be here around 11:05 am our time.

Sucks all the earthquakes lately!

--------------------

OfflineHomosapian
DMT
Male User Gallery

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #374528 - 02/27/10 10:28 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

12 foot ? i heard it was 2-3 feet.

--------------------

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

#374531 - 02/27/10 10:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

it has been up and down!

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
    #374542 - 02/27/10 10:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When i heard about this before i went to bed last night i was wondering about you SM.  hoping you guys weren't asleep up there.  how far up the mountain do you live?  Hopefully your not in a danger zone.  but it doesn't sound like it.  you're here and not panicking.

Quote:

Homosapian said:
no why would you say that ?

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/12106868#12106868

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #374547 - 02/27/10 11:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Tsunamis are some scary shit man. Be careful my coastal brothers

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #374596 - 02/27/10 12:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

we are up plenty far, around 1000 ft. but have a view of the channel between here and Maui.

We are expecting some catastophy here i think in Hilo and Kona. So far news has said only 6 ft have been reported on islands between here and chile. The anticipation of this thing is quit wild! The stores are all full with ppl buying food and supplies. Been up since 7 am getting water jugs and other supplies around. The water will not effect us up here but if it does hit, it will close and possibly wipe out the 2 cities here and other low lying areas.

So here we sit.

Ps. I had no idea about the earthquake or tsunami till the sirens started going off this morning. They have been going off every hour since.

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #374597 - 02/27/10 12:39 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

is a 12 foot wave seriously enough to "wipe out" coastal cities? I thought you guys got 50 foot swells during the winter?

--------------------

InvisibleDr. SiekadellykM
Question Everything!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ketamine Flag
    #374599 - 02/27/10 12:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Woah!:eek:

--------------------
The Kratom Report...

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#374605 - 02/27/10 12:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
we are up plenty far, around 1000 ft. but have a view of the channel between here and Maui.

We are expecting some catastophy here i think in Hilo and Kona. So far news has said only 6 ft have been reported on islands between here and chile. The anticipation of this thing is quit wild! The stores are all full with ppl buying food and supplies. Been up since 7 am getting water jugs and other supplies around. The water will not effect us up here but if it does hit, it will close and possibly wipe out the 2 cities here and other low lying areas.

So here we sit.

Ps. I had no idea about the earthquake or tsunami till the sirens started going off this morning. They have been going off every hour since.

keep us updated if you can.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374613 - 02/27/10 01:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
is a 12 foot wave seriously enough to "wipe out" coastal cities? I thought you guys got 50 foot swells during the winter?

Yes we do get waves of 35+ ft. but they are created by the shallow reefs and break/stop on the shore line.

Tsunami's do not stop at the shoreline. They keep pushing inland. 12 ft sounds reasonable, but 12 foot of water that just keeps moving inland is a little scarry.

And Furrowed, I will try to keep you all updated! 1 more hour till impact according to the news!

--------------------

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
    #374616 - 02/27/10 01:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good point, I didn't think of that but it makes perfect sense now that you say it.  I was visiting your state in January once and got to experience those waves firsthand... quite impressive if I do say so myself.

I'll be eagerly awaiting your updates as well. Do you have a camera that you could possibly take pictures?

--------------------

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

#374618 - 02/27/10 01:10 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's begun.  the return of quetzalcoatl.  ya, pictures would be great!  maybe you'll even get some that you can sell to the media.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Re: 8.8 Quake Hits Chile, 500x > Haiti [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #374619 - 02/27/10 01:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I hope to see some action if it hits, and will try to get pictures. But we just moved to this house and have not been able to find my charger for the camera. I do have however, 5 different cell phones charging at the moment. Will try to get some photo's. Island life is all fucked up right now. People are plugging the roads to get to the stores for supplies. The cell network is jammed up also righ now with limited calling. 45 mins and waiting.

--------------------

OfflineDungenessDank
Lord of the Flies

Loc: PNW
    #374621 - 02/27/10 01:19 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Its gonna hit here about low tide, be interesting to see how far it sucks out before it comes back. If I even wanna try and go see that is.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale