Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:)
    #369298 - 02/21/10 12:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Welp here I am again guys. I just went to home depot and found what might be the best light ever for veg. It was a 100 watt spiral CFL that gives off 1750 lumens. It is called a "day light" type of spectrum, supposedly replicating the sunlight for your home, or garden;) I was planning on hanging 2, 3-way fixtures on an adustable ceiling to work with height. This would give approx. 10,000 lumens!!! I still plan on hanging some tubes on the side but does this sound like a good bulb choice for my 4 plant 2by2 veg room?  I am worried that 6 of those would produce a decent amount of heat, $aybe more than my fans will help dissipate. Thanks for any help guys, wish me luck, I'm getting excited!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: sNicklefrits]
    #370212 - 02/22/10 01:55 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

What's up! I was just wondering if I could get a shout out on this post. I know its long, and no ones even reading it,  but please!! :smile: thanks, I really need some help. I have my room designed, just need to finalize the lighting.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #370234 - 02/22/10 04:46 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I can't believe no one has taken a stab at this either. I'll try to help you.

How tall is your space and what are you using for a fan to ventilate?

6 CFL's would create a lot of heat for a small space like that. Depending on the height of the room and how much money you have to work with, I would go with a 150W or 250W HPS. You will spend more initially, but it will pay for itself in the first or second grow so it's a sound investment. You will get anywhere from 16-28,000 lumens out of those lights respectively.

If you go with the 150W then you kinda limit yourself to HPS. If it's 250W you decide, then you can get a switchable ballast and run either HPS or MH bulbs. The MH would be the BEST light for vegetation as far as the plants are concerned.

Go HID, you won't regret it!!! You have my absolute guarantee. Can't wait to see you crank something out of that space. :bigweed:

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #370280 - 02/22/10 08:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You could do what i'm about to do.
Go to htgsupply.com and buy their 2' T5 lamp for $70.
2 bulbs, 10,000 lum and only 110 watts.
That's my 2 cents.

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep to the rythm of the War Drums
Wild Seeds (again)
White widow X Sour Diesel grow

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: Yasi]
    #370316 - 02/22/10 09:47 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

150W HPS is 50% more light Yasi. Don't tell him not to go with HID just because you are making the wrong decision.

Do not do what he is about to do!!!

InvisibleYasi
Harbinger
Male User Gallery

#370319 - 02/22/10 10:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well, i thought he was worried about excess heat. I know an hps or mh is better in lumen's but when it come to heat, you need a fan to move some serious air on them.
Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:
150W HPS is 50% more light Yasi. Don't tell him not to go with HID just because you are making the wrong decision.

As far as i knew he was planning on CFL's anyway. I thought it would be preferable to use a single 110w 10,000 lumen setup instead of multiple 100w cfl's for the same light output.

--------------------
Counting Bodies like Sheep to the rythm of the War Drums
Wild Seeds (again)
White widow X Sour Diesel grow

OfflineTomCollins

#370320 - 02/22/10 10:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DrGreenThumb said:

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: TomCollins]
    #370326 - 02/22/10 10:10 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alright thanks eternally for the feedback. My room will be 3.5 ft tall. I am going to install a bathroom fan to bring fresh air in through the top. I plan on running; one, maybe two small oscillating fans to distrib ute airflow and strngthen the stems. So with this and a hole cut for ventilation was my plan for airating the room. I forgot to mention that my friend has a 400 watt MH ballast and bulb/fixture. So I could do that for pretty much free. And much easier to install one light than 10 :smile:. I just don't want to run vents with fans and worry about all the temp and humidity controls. It seems when you throw an HID into the mix, you tend to have to watch those factors more. Let me know if the one MH would out perform many many close up flourescents. Because in the end, I do want beautiful plump, luscious ladies, and if the HID will no doubt provide that over the CFL's, than bring it on!

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: TomCollins]
    #370328 - 02/22/10 10:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I move a minimal amount of air and I'm running a 400W HPS. A 150-250W HPS should be easy to cool.

It has about the same heat output as your T5's and makes 60% more light.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #370329 - 02/22/10 10:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You will definitely never look back once you get a HID. If you can go 400W for free DO IT!!! But you'll need more space, height wise anyway.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#370336 - 02/22/10 10:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hmm well a box that size lends itself well to CFL's I would say. While the 400w MH could do some wonders in that size of a box I think if you intend this to be purely a veg box you can set up some CFL's and make it a bit easier on the heating/cooling.

Also very important design issue. you want to exhaust from the top of the box not the bottom. Make a passive inlet at the bottom and flip that fart fan around and you will have much more efficient heat removal.

Now if you wanted to hook up that MH I am sure you could control the heat but do you need the 400w HID there or in the flowering room more? a few clones and a decent sized mommy will live just fine on a couple hundred watts or so of well placed CFL's. once they get big put em in the flowering room under that light(you may be able to use his ballast and get an HPS bulb for cheap) and let em go nuts.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflineDephect

Folding@home Statistics
    #370340 - 02/22/10 10:27 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah. I have been running CFLs. When I run multiple CFLs in my 2'x4'x5' tent temps get uncontrollable. Like almost up to 90 uncontrollable and I have to run two fans on high to bring it down to 80. I had a HPS for one grow while my friend let me borrow it. You will notice the difference. I am getting one today. You have more room for air flow underneath the light, so there is less chance of burning your plants while CFLs need to remain close, hence having more risk of burning your plant.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: Dephect]
    #370344 - 02/22/10 10:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I don't really agree with all that. I have never run a big nice grow light but I have run a 150w HPS and while it doubles the lumens output of my 65w CFL's it will torch wood. my CFL's with a decent grow room breeze usually stay about 130f, no fancy hoods no super fan blowing right on it.

I think one thing people do wrong in CFL setups is going with many small bulbs. you are going to make a ton more heat running 5 or 10 14w bulbs. That is a given. But with 2 65w bulbs it's probably about the same in terms of heat energy but that heat is a much lower temperature.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: pha3r0]
    #370355 - 02/22/10 10:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"Torchin wood" :smile: that's some funny shit Pha3o. I guess I should let you know that my flower room is equipped with a grolux 600 watt 8in cool tube reflector. The dimensions of that is 4by4 by7ft tall. I want to grow by trimming and getting nice bushy ladies. I want both my rooms to compliment each other. So if I raise the height in my veg room to like 4ft. Would this allow for more viability with a 400 watt HID. Or still, should I go with my fully adjustable ceiling/walls packed with fluoro's?

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#370362 - 02/22/10 10:57 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Well if you can change the height and have a 400w MH for free man that could work nice? Can you make the area a bit bigger? I just upgraded from 2x2x4 to 2x4x2, tall to long, and I am already hurting for space.

I have em in big pots but you can see here it's not much space still.

I have 8 23w 6500k CFL's over that with a 6in desk fan doing all the ventilation, heat though is not an issue cause it's in a garage.

But if you could make it like 3x3 and 4ft tall that MH starts looking perfect.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #370363 - 02/22/10 10:58 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

If you are not restricted to buying a light then I would go with a 250W MH. 250W would be the perfect size to compliment a 600W flowering room.

--------------------

OfflinesNicklefrits
Stranger

#370391 - 02/22/10 11:31 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The question I keep asking myself is... I keep hearing stories about what causes stretchy stems with the buds spread out. This is what my friends looked like who used this MH previously. Although his setup was inferior to mine, and my flower will be with 600 watts instead of 400hps. So back to the question, the MH has to be placed quite far from the canopy, the fluoro's can get right up in there. Does this help, or the MH is providing so many more lumens that you can't even compare the two. Also, what is more electrically effecient, 8, 100watt CFL's, or 1 400 watt HPS? I'll still put a few small t5's on the sides though. Thanks otra vez :wink:

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#370399 - 02/22/10 11:43 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

well 8 x 100 = 800 so there you go its twice the 400. the heat would be intense in your space though.

With proper ventilation you can get the MH quite close to your plants also.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: CFL's, fluorescent tubes, give me the low down:) [Re: pha3r0] * 1
    #370408 - 02/22/10 11:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

honestly if your goal is keeping the plants compact then I prefer the fluorescents :shrug:

they don't have the penetration power of an HID light, but that's exactly why they keep the plants so low... ALL of the light is absorbed in the first layer or two of leaves which signals to the plant that it doesn't need to grow tall for more light.

just what I've noticed in my cab

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder