Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: What do you all think about growing in a shed?? (moved) [Re: God]
    #285795 - 09/24/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

oh yeah, I'm definitely going to have air circulating within the rooms via small fans, I'm just trying to work out the FAE aspect right now. Having the intake for the general exhaust system on the far side of the room will at least encourage the air to cross the whole space between entering via the door and exiting up top by the light.

My main issues now;
1) keeping the incoming air at a reasonable temperature.
2) how to make a stealthy door so that the false wall concealing the grow room from the rest of the shed looks relatively whole while closed, but still allows access to my plants.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: What do you all think about growing in a shed?? (moved) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #285899 - 09/24/09 08:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My two ideas for the warm air situation:

A. Intake air enters small enclosure with a heater inside. I suggest a circulating oil heater (like this one, although there are smaller, cheaper ones, look around) since it's unlikely to start a fire. Also, the one I linked has a sort of thermostat feature: it doesn't have temperatures marked on the dial, but you're supposed to turn it on until you feel comfortable, then turn the dial until it clicks, and it'll hold that temperature by cycling on and off. I think you could get it pretty consistent with a bit of fiddling.
Anyway, cool air enters at the bottom, gets warmed by heater and rises to hole at top, which pulls it into veg...

B. Inspired by one of the earlier sketches in this thread. Similar to A, but using the exhaust air. I'd rather sketch, but I'm in a car. Work with me:
intake>small enclosure>veg>flower>loops back on itself (as you drew above, minus heater)>exihenShen the "loop back" draws even with the small enclosure at the beginning, it splits into two, one of which exits through the main exhaust fan, the other of which goes into the intake enclosure. If, at the split point, you have a little valve to where you can adjust the amount of warm "leak back," you could optimize this setup. Probably need a small fan in the leak back tube, so intake won't just bypass the room altogether.

A will probably be easier to setup, B seems cheaper.

As far as a door goes, what sort of shed is this? Storage for lawn equipment, workshop..?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #285926 - 09/24/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I do like the idea of B, but I haven't really come up with a good way to get it set up to properly control temperature. Out here in CO we can seriously go from a high of 75 to a low of -20 in a 24 hour period (in ANY month of the year) so I need this to be at least somewhat automated, because I won't always be available to adjust the intake quantity of air. I think I might just go with A since I can find one with a thermostat so that when the incoming air is 70 degrees it won't be running at all.
Do you think that recirculating oil radiator would be a better bet than a 375W 24" baseboard?

This shed is going to be storage for mainly yardwork tools and various other items.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: What do you all think about growing in a shed?? (moved) [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #285949 - 09/24/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I have to say, I know little about heaters, there are probably plenty that would work great. I suggested that type because I've used it to success, and it's safe enough to leave unattended for days.

For the door, what about using the back wall of the shed for shelving and mounts for hanging tools, etc. You could blend in a door there, have the wheelbarrow swing aside to reveal the secret lock...hope no one's over when you're using the wheelbarrow! :grin:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #285991 - 09/24/09 11:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

you think it would be adjustable to the point where it would warm the cool air and not fry the plants when it gets warm out?

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#286012 - 09/25/09 12:43 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I believe so, but I never had any incentive to turn it on while it was above 70F. We have very defined seasons here. It may be best to just get a cheaper, safe heater, and hook its power source up to a thermostat. That'd be more accurate.

I thought of a variation on option B that you may find worthwhile:
Instead of routing from your exhaust, simply have a small duct going from the warmest area in your flower chamber (under the lights, probably) to the intake enclosure, with a weak fan (maybe just a computer fan or two) at the end facing into the enclosure.  Hook the fan power up to a thermostat. When temperature of the intake chamber drops below a certain level, the fan will turn on, and warmer air from inside the grow chamber will trickle in to mix with the outside air. The main exhaust fan is still powerful enough to guide both sources of air through veg and flower rooms and into the light.
When the small fan is off, some of the intake air will be pulled backwards through it, down the duct, and into the flower room (right to the plants, if you set it up that way), and the rest will go into the veg room. This may work to your liking, you may prefer it all to go intake>veg>flower>exhaust.  I think what I described would work alright for you, assuming you got a smaller duct than what you're using for exhaust (PVC pipe, or 3" duct or something) and used a weak fan. Thoughts?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #286706 - 09/26/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

hmmm.... I like that idea, and it might be pretty easy to do. I'm not super awesome with wiring so the thermostat/fan speed situation might take some more research, but I think a good 6" Y joint on my exhaust could be perfect. one of the y ends goes outside, and the other can be connected to a 2" reducer and routed to the intake box.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#286906 - 09/26/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

My only concern with splitting the exhaust is that, when the little fan is off, some of the air from the intake box will go backwards through the little fan, down the 2" duct, and into the exhaust, bypassing the room completely! By moving the 2" duct from the exhaust into the flower chamber, you'll still take pretty warm air when the fan's on, and you won't lose waste intake air when it's off.
Hope that makes sense without pictures.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #286993 - 09/26/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

that makes sense for sure.

I'm starting to think however that it might just be cheaper/easier to have a thermostatically controlled heater on the intake so it's only warming air less than 50 degrees or so while incoming. That way I won't have to putz with thermostats and fan dimmers and backdraft dampers etc etc

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#287006 - 09/26/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

You're probably right about that. Let us know what you decide, and what heater you ultimately choose.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #289838 - 10/01/09 02:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

now what about airflow from veg room to flower room? I can go with my idea from that drawing I suppose, but it doesn't seem very efficient.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#290559 - 10/02/09 12:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think making the intake at the front left of veg instead of front right and putting veg to flower vent in back right of veg instead of front right will encourage air to flow across both rooms better. May not even need oscillating fans.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #290609 - 10/02/09 02:10 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Solid man, thank you so much.

one last question and then I think I'm gonna head out and start construction. Do you think it would be best to have the intake heater thermostat set to monitor incoming air or the temp of the grow room? in other words, should it come on when the outside air is below 50, or when the temp inside the grow room drops to a certain point?

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#291666 - 10/04/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I think that either could work, but monitoring intake might be a bit better for a couple reasons: the thermometer and heater could be one unit, and it would respond to changes in outside temp more quickly. My only concern with that is, with intake at a constant temp, nothing's monitoring the room temp, so if something goes haywire and the room gets too warm, the heater can't know to turn itself off to cool the room down.
Now that I've typed that out, I'm leaning more towards measuring room temp. Either way, those are my thoughts.

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #292571 - 10/05/09 09:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Since you are ultimately trying to regulate the temperatures in the grow room I think it would be best to monitor those temps rather than the air coming in.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: What do you all think about growing in a shed?? (moved) [Re: Ojom]
    #292725 - 10/06/09 12:39 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well-said.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck