Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Trusted Cultivator
Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box
    #368866 - 02/20/10 05:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Attention Cultivators and Those Who Want to Become a Cultivator! 

Going forward we will be having a weekly (or biweekly) discussion thread ranging in topics that aim to cover the spectrum of cannabis cultivation, breeding, harvesting, curing, and everything else related to our favorite plant.  The idea is a topic is posted for the week and we spend the week discussing issues related to the topic, strategies, techniques, different experiences, questions that people have so that we can all come to a better understanding of the issues.  Simply put, I (and I would assume all of you too) want to be able to grow the absolute best cannabis that I can.  In order to do that we must learn as much as possible.  Some people like to learn from their mistakes.  I prefer to learn from your mistakes so that I dont have to go through that heartache.  Sharing experiences is key.  I want to implore everyone to ask questions, as many questions as you have.  In a few years we will have collected a HUGE repository of information for future growers.  Think of this as a class.  Use this thread to make suggestions regarding what topics you think we should cover.  Here are just a few examples....

Preparing for a Grow, Germination, seedling care and development, Root care and issues, nutrients, harvesting, selective breeding, basic cannabis genetics, the list goes on and on and on. 

The first step to acquiring new knowledge is admitting ignorance.  no ego's allowed in here, no personal attacks will be tolerated.  Do not make an angry rebuttal in haste.  Gather your evidence and present it respectfully.  Consider this an academic environment.  if someone corrects what you have said or posted.  I just ask that any person who wishes to overturn what another person has said to present facts of your own to prove your point.  Feel free to use pictures to help illustrate any points you have.  I would also encourage you to incorporate the use of polling when it's use is appropriate.

Thank you and let's get our learn on!

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #368945 - 02/20/10 07:27 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

:happyweed:

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineOjom
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #368950 - 02/20/10 07:42 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

So what do start with first?

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: Ojom]
    #368964 - 02/20/10 08:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I was thinking about doing 'Preparing for your grow' first as this is the foundation for any successful grow regardless of size and investment.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #368968 - 02/20/10 08:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

oh man, that could be like a 4 week topic though. hell, we have an entire forum just dedicated to grow room design here. do we want to start with things like lighting and ventilation, or should we start with the very first step of growing (ie, germination and seedlings). Room design is so custom that it might be impossible to get a good knowledge base anyway. designing a room with 10,000W of light is completely different from a closet or renovating a file cabinet etc.

--------------------

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #368983 - 02/20/10 08:22 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I'm about to do a massive writeup i mean it could be this time next year before everything is running in my room and everything is writen and pictures and and and and would take any contributions and would gladly give you your props for it..

So I personally would like to hear a little on it to brainstorm and come out with a good outlineguidething to make sure I hit most every detail.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: mhbound]
    #368986 - 02/20/10 08:23 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

you should make a thread to brainstorm too man. I was helping a guy near me design a 9KW room and it really helped me to bounce some thoughts off the other members here. we have some insanely smart green-thumbs lurking around

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #369003 - 02/20/10 08:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I like the idea and hope to be able to contribute here and there.  :thumbup:

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: dutc2006]
    #369008 - 02/20/10 09:03 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ah..I'm gonna start doing interactive guides...

Build a part, post what I did with pictures wait 24 hours for questions...answer any and then do the next part and so on

Eventually people would start following them and we could have a something called GIG's(Growery's Interactive Guides)

I know it sounds gay but I like it.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #369024 - 02/20/10 09:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
or should we start with the very first step of growing. Room design is so custom that it might be impossible to get a good knowledge base anyway. designing a room with 10,000W of light is completely different from a closet or renovating a file cabinet etc.

exactly!  You germinate your seeds before you plan your grow?  By preparing for your grow I was referring to identifying and discussing the absolute basics for a grow.  Whether you grow with 30kw or with 150 watts you need basic items that are required for either sized grow.  i was thinking this would be one of the easier ones to do.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #369100 - 02/20/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I guess so yeah. we'll lay out basic requirements but it'll be impossible to get too specific with it. laying out general lighting minimums, CFM requirements and ventilation ideas would be a good starting point. Then I think we should move on to selecting a medium and lay out all the pros and cons of the myriad of different growing mediums available. Maybe even split it up into soil (you could write a book just on that topic alone) and soil-less/hydroponic options (another book)

Are we going to take some of the best posts from this and compile it or just let the threads speak for themselves?

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #369109 - 02/20/10 11:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I like the idea, but I do have my concerns, although I'm not sure exactly what they are... lol

So are we going to start a separate thread for each of these discussions I'm guessing?  This would be where we brainstorm ideas for the topics?  I'm sure each discussion will just keep going, there is so much to cover and 1 week isn't going to cut it, but adding a new topic each week is however a good idea because it's like adding chapters into a book.

Preparing for a grow is a good one IMO...  Who says we can't get specific???

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Edited by Inverted (02/20/10 11:34 PM)

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: Inverted]
    #369193 - 02/21/10 09:51 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Fuckin love the idea guys. And I think starting with a grow planning discussion is the logical starting topic. Try to cover all the little steps any grow needs to take before putting dirt in a pot or filling your reservoir.

There will be lots of disagreement on best practices in this first week though as every grower has different ways they do things. We need to focus on the broad idea rather then any individual technique. Perhaps that will even help expose pros and cons we don't normally think about.

I would also say once a weeks topic has cooled off maybe one of the mods can do a run through and write a summary, kind of like keeping the minutes at a meeting. The best and clearest info could then be put in a permanent sticky or added to the main content as a guide.

Now what are we waiting for lets start!

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: pha3r0]
    #369197 - 02/21/10 09:53 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:

I would also say once a weeks topic has cooled off maybe one of the mods can do a run through and write a summary, kind of like keeping the minutes at a meeting. The best and clearest info could then be put in a permanent sticky or added to the main content as a guide.

that's what I'm thinking too!  We could end up with a spectacular Growery Brand Encyclopaedia of cultivation knowledge!

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#370227 - 02/22/10 03:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

This is a really great idea and I love it! Discussing grow room design is an endless discussion, but in my very short time as a grower, I've been amused to find that there are in fact a few different ways just to germinate your seeds.

However, with that particular topic I think we can go much more in depth than just talking about the best technique, but rather we can explore variations. For example, I have a good friend who's a grower in the UK and he told me he germinates by dropping seeds in a glass of water which is a pretty common method, but then he places the glass over a heater, which I think is extremely unusual.

Perhaps we could open our first discussion by talking about what are the best ways to simply germinate seeds?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: TomCollins]
    #370228 - 02/22/10 03:19 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

i do the same but i place it on top of my big pc

--------------------
Suck my balls America

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #370263 - 02/22/10 08:07 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

when I germinate I use the paper towel method in a tuperware container, but I put the tupperware on top of my reflector. my 600W MH bulb does a fine job of keeping them warm

--------------------

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #370274 - 02/22/10 08:30 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Just like Harry said. Only I like to use an opaque container such as a Cool Whip bowl or butter dish. All kinds of disposable containers that are great for paper toweling.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Discussion Group Information and Suggestion Box [Re: DrGreenThumb]
    #370306 - 02/22/10 09:22 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

The heat application part I don't understand fully tbh. When I got my first seeds, I was told to keep them in the dark in a cool place around 20C. :shrug: I guess that's wrong though.

In any case, instead of discussing this in this thread perhaps we should be proactive and put FurrowedBrows idea into action?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

InvisibleDrGreenThumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Phish Tour Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #370330 - 02/22/10 10:16 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Agreed.

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” -Dr. Seuss

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom