Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

custom box advice, tips?
    #335675 - 12/23/09 05:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ok so my buddy just got done with a plant he had in his closet and is starting new seeds now. his last attempt was not so good and since he is going to move in 3 months he wants to build something that will be mobile should it need to be moved also. since i am the handy man i now have the task :eek:

the ideal size for him would be 2x2 and as tall as 6ft which would fit nice in his closet. but he really wouldn't mind 2x4 or even a short box that took up the whole floor allowing him to use the top as a desk or whatever.

since he wants it done for cheap i plan to use 120mm PC fans for air exchange in-out of the chamber. i figure 2 will be plenty they each move about 70CFM. and i have seen flat carbon filters i could setup to filter the air if he thinks it might be a problem. guess we need to finalize a size first.

for lights he has a 100 watt HPS but it is a security style light so i would need to make it remote ballast and build a reflector its also under powered anyways if the box will be more then one plant. So would it be better to setup an array of CFL's on a board and suspend that with chains. I am leaning on using CFL's solely for temperature reasons. the HPS is only 100w but as we all know still gets plenty freakin hot.

for lining we can use mylar but i am thinking it would be way, way easier to just paint it white and have heard mix opinions to the point i figure easy is better then a possible few % more buds.

I would love some input on this and anything i may be forgetting please let me know. I can build furniture and remodel houses but i know precious little about growing bud.

I will maybe draft up some of my ideas so you can see better what i have in mind. oh and while money is of concern he is willing to spend it if its going to come back.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: pha3r0]
    #335706 - 12/23/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Flat white paint is just fine, it reflects just as well as mylar does.  If you want to make it portable, hit up a big box store and look in the home storage aisle at the cabinets that they have.

2x4x6 foot room there, cost me 70 bucks at home depot.  After I secured the back with some plywood it's been pretty sweet.  I have a 600 watt light in there and keep the room at around 80 on average.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: coda]
    #335712 - 12/23/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Here is a box I built recently, I got the design from a post on icmag.com (can't remember the link).

Here are some pic's of what it looks like:

4'x4'x32"

Front w/ Door open
Inside
Front w/ Door closed

I used sealant on the edges and foil tape on the seams after I primed and painted the inside. I currently have a 400w Sun System 2 with attached ballast, so, I will be cutting a square into the roof and have the light sit on top of the box, making heat issues less of a worry and freeing up space inside for a good scrog or sog.

Just a thought to play with.

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

Edited by NightGrower (12/23/09 08:38 PM)

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#335719 - 12/23/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

sweet well then what i have in mind will work pretty well but i am going to look at the cabinets instead of building it now for sure.

couple questions.
do you have any cooling other than the vented HPS? i think i see an AC line coming in at the bottom right. it is winter here in a major way so he keeps his house toasty warm and i am worried about heat.

second i don't have a 5 gallon bucket on hand to measure but those are smaller right? will you finish all 6 in there? if so maybe i could do him one better and section off a mother chamber in a similar sized cab so he can stop growing from random bagseed and find a good strain:grin:.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #335891 - 12/24/09 01:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Intake is on the bottom right, it pulls in air from my room which is around 65-70 degrees.  Cab temps never get higher then 10 degrees above ambient.  If he keeps his house super hot he's gonna have to come up with a way to bring in cool air if he can't cut a hole into his wall/ceiling to exhaust the hot air from the grow room.

2 gallon buckets, yes they will all finish in that cabinet.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#336012 - 12/24/09 07:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

man that's pretty exciting. his GF loves to be hot so his room can get into the upper 70's regularly. but i think we can work around that there is an option to cut too its his dads place so i am sure if he patched it after hes out and shared thats fine.

i guess i need to figure out how many lights to plan for a 2x4 floor space. we can get 65w 2700k CFL's from lowes here so that was our first thought for flower light. any idea on how many might be good? i read somewhere to plan for 27w per plant minimum but that sound really low.

I was thinking like 6 of the 65watters at least. hes going to keep 4 or less at a time.

also umm how much air does that little vortex fan move? hes not going to filter the air right now as smell isn't a concern where he is for now but the time will come to add it.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #336210 - 12/25/09 12:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That's a 4 inch fan.  Uh, hard to say it's cfm now.  It's a few years old and was a gift from a friend.  Probably around 150-180 max.

--------------------

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#336227 - 12/25/09 01:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

okay so maybe i will put 3 120mm fans just incase heat is an issue. I am wiring them up using an old 12v ac wall adapter i found in the parts bin and i have an old fan controller so he'll be able to adjust for excess noise.

i think for money savins i am going to use OSB to build it with instead of buying a prefab unit. i am also thinking about setting myself one up now doing all this research has turned my thumb a deep shade of green and made me bookoo jealous of all your guys' pics.

oh here is the new sprout. 2 died he had put them in his old miracle grow after they cracked and well we all knew that was silly.

It is being LST'ed this time it is about 2 weeks old and the dirt its in now is a new mix of organic MG, blood and bone meal and dolomite lime. we tried to find anything better then MG but most the garden centers are closed up or not restocking till spring and it was really hurting for space in its cup.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #336277 - 12/25/09 02:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Flat white paint is more durable and easy to use.

I use Kilz.  It's for watersealing and I can spray my box interior without any of the water penetrating the wood.  It's great.

2x2 works great for a nice SOG or a 4 plant setup. I have 5 and it's just too much.  I almost want to cut one down but I know it's worth it to just leave it.

It would be nice to have just another 6 inches each direction....

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: Inverted]
    #336285 - 12/25/09 02:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

right on i see what you mean bet if i went and mesured his pot i could make an informed decission for final size cause he knows he want 4 plants.

havn't discussed a SOG with him but that might be more advanced then he want's.

anyways off to take him the custom pipe cases my wife made for them i will be back with cola pics. stay puffin

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

#336414 - 12/25/09 10:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Flat white paint is more durable and easy to use.

I use Kilz.  It's for watersealing and I can spray my box interior without any of the water penetrating the wood.  It's great.

2x2 works great for a nice SOG or a 4 plant setup. I have 5 and it's just too much.  I almost want to cut one down but I know it's worth it to just leave it.

It would be nice to have just another 6 inches each direction....

How do you lightproof your 2x2 box? Does that fan stay in that position?

I like the door, came out better than mine, lol.

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: NightGrower]
    #336542 - 12/26/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i would think the kilz is almost thick enough after a couple coats to block most light. its made to paint over stains and mildew spots and stuff so they wont come back through.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#337833 - 12/29/09 01:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

pha3r0 said:
i would think the kilz is almost thick enough after a couple coats to block most light. its made to paint over stains and mildew spots and stuff so they wont come back through.

You said it sir!  Karma comin your way... 

That is precisely what it's used for.  Sealing dirty old leaky basement cement so that it can be finished.  It's so water repellent that when I foliar spray (low humidity problems) it just beads right off the walls and onto the floor.  I love that shit and will recommend it to anyone who wants to paint their space flat white.  It's very stain resistant and durable to scratches. 

That was only 2 coats and it was thick enough to block off light leaks through cracks...  Great product.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Truthfully, I'm a bullshitter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greenbow, Alabama
    #337999 - 12/29/09 07:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

dude i love the box. very clean. where did you have your intake and exhaust running to?

and what was yield of those six plants?

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: FarBeyondDriven]
    #338006 - 12/29/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Me?  If so the exaust is just leaving the top open and using that fan, but it has since died and I bought the most powerful PC fan I could find and a bunch of plywood so I can rebuild it up nice.

Believe it or not that was constructed from pallets that I deconstructed... what a bitch.

I now had money and bought materials to rebuild the box.  Nice and light and pro...  Those plants didn't harvest yet.  I'm about 3-4 weeks out!  I'm getting excited.  They are already looking yummy enough to smoke... :yesnod:

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#338013 - 12/29/09 08:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i was asking about coda's box but knowledge is power :yesnod:

i was actually wondering if you had a top to the box last time i saw this

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#338026 - 12/29/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Soon.

I've been using the shop for my brothers fish house we are almost done with.  Fully permanent and over-engineered, just the way I like it :grin:

Thats why i'm totally not OK with the status of my box and I have all the shit to commence building tonight.  NEW BOX FTW

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338030 - 12/29/09 08:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dude i love the box. very clean. where did you have your intake and exhaust running to?

I exhaust into my room and pull air in from the same room.  Hot air out the top which mixes with a ceiling fan, intake pulls in cooler air around bottom which flows directly underneath plant.  I have a small oscillating fan in there, but I'm going to upgrade it a some point to a slightly more powerful wall mounted version. 

We keep the house pretty cold in the winter so ambient temps with the lights on are about 72-74.  Cabinet hasn't climbed much over 81 either past 3 weeks or so.  If I was able to vent into the ceiling I'd probably be able to keep the room a few degrees cooler.

Oh, the plants aren't done yet.  Another 4 weeks or so left.

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#338170 - 12/30/09 08:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

awesome box man. i'd probably model mine after that. probably a little bigger though. if I don't just use a spare bedroom or something whenever I move.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338264 - 12/30/09 05:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yah, I honestly miss my 4x4 hydro hut.  Well, at least the space it offered me.  Max amount of plants I can fit in my current cab is 8.  It does work really nice, had to spend some extra time sealing it up though.  Still has some leaks at the top and the doors didn't hang right, but other then that it was pretty easy to get ready.

I wish I had better tools to cut my exhaust and intake ports.  I absolutely murdered them using a reciprocating saw, would have been nice to have a solid jig saw to do that work.  One word of advice, set up the cabinet in an area that's pretty large.  I did mine in the room it sits in and it was a son of a bitch getting it together in a cramped space (and most likely the reason why my doors are a bit off).  I'm not sure if they make cabinets bigger then what I have, and if they do, how much they cost.  This one ran me 80 bucks after taxes.  However, if you have the cash, pony up some extra and buy something that's all wood.  You definitely want to avoid buying a cabinet that uses a piece of cardboard as the back piece.  I had to purchase some additional plywood to secure the back.  Not too big of a deal, but an extra expense none the less.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#338278 - 12/30/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah if you are spending anything over $80 I would honestly just build my own.  But I guess some people don't have access to woodworking tools so that makes sense why so many people buy them pre-fabricated.

I just bought the materials to build a bigger, better flower chamber and it only cost me about $35.  Probably 5 more for hardware like hinges and stuff but I already had some perfect ones.

But I also own a miter saw, table saw and jigsaw so that probably makes it a LOT easier to DIY.

I'll be building shortly and WILL document it.  I got a rockin 135CFM PC fan so i can finally seal my box off.  It's the most powerful one I could find :shrug:

My goal in the next year is to upgrade to a lighting/ventilation system like Coda's.  I just need to incorporate it into my new build.  Must...Plan...Ahead

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338340 - 12/30/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yah, honestly, if I would have had the cash to buy a couple of saw horses and some power tools I would have built my own.  The cabinet is a great alternative if you want some convenience and cost savings.  If you have cash to spend I'd look into getting a sun hut, 200 bucks nets you a 2x4 I believe. 

Or, if you really want to save some cash or enjoy DIY stuff, build you own like inverted.

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#338373 - 12/31/09 01:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup:

Good advice as usual! :yesnod:

--------------------

InvisibleFarBeyondDriven
Male User Gallery

#338448 - 01/01/10 10:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Yah, honestly, if I would have had the cash to buy a couple of saw horses and some power tools I would have built my own.  The cabinet is a great alternative if you want some convenience and cost savings.  If you have cash to spend I'd look into getting a sun hut, 200 bucks nets you a 2x4 I believe. 

Or, if you really want to save some cash or enjoy DIY stuff, build you own like inverted.

i personally plan on building my own.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338473 - 01/01/10 11:34 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Good luck man, if anything make sure the ceiling of your cab is sturdy.  Don't want your gear crashing down on your plants :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleAcidic_Sloth
Acidic poly-Sided Di-slothamide
 User Gallery

Loc: ainrofilac
    #340121 - 01/04/10 05:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

DIY is great because you can make it any way you want it. i did mine DIY and so far it's working great and cost me way less than it would have to buy a grow tent or what have you, and it's awesome because it fits way more. granted it's only for veg, but i still saved a shitload of cash.

--------------------
-- Accept my heart warming gift of TREE SCRATCHIES!!! I absolve thee!! --

JaP: 30,000 lines of gay, cock, and fag can't be wrong
Ped: only in #shroomery is "smuggle opium in her ass" followed by "i don't want shitty opium" which is followed by " *** Joins: PENISSQUAD"
--
JaP: What would this place be without random sluts?
JaP: Nothing, I tell you.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: Acidic_Sloth]
    #343519 - 01/08/10 06:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice setup AS!!! :heart:

DIY FTW

This is my newest flower box... Gonna go work on it right neow!

I will be putting the top on, the door, hinges, a handle, and jigsaw a square out for my High Power PC fan... 133 CFM from a Computer fan is impressive.  :yesnod:

Combined with some of Mag's genetics this is going to be my best grow ever I think.  I'm going to take my time vegging and training and then scrogging.  I'm going for 5-6 Oz's from a 2x2x4 foot space.  Wish me luck Slothie!

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

Loc: Flag
    #343524 - 01/08/10 07:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'm building one of these and putting it in the corner of my grow box. That will take care of the smell. and also provide some ventalation.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: custom box advice, tips? [Re: Triptonic]
    #343525 - 01/08/10 07:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Splain yourself

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#343526 - 01/08/10 07:04 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Basically its a 5 gallon bucket, with a fan ontop. And then on the bottom of the bucket there is soil moist, and ONA (an odor neutralizer) the fan will either push or pull air through the soil moist and clean the air.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#343529 - 01/08/10 07:07 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Where did you hear about this contraption.  Im just housing aquarium activated carbon filters on the outside of my fan, even though I don't have to worry about smell at all.  Thank god

--------------------

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#343531 - 01/08/10 07:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I read a lot lol. I can get a link. Its supposed to work really well.

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#343533 - 01/08/10 07:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate