Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

cactus questions
    #363041 - 02/12/10 09:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys my wife and I are debating on a new indoor decoration. We want to have the area in the corner of our living room done in cactus.

We want several different kinds that are pretty and I would love to mix in some peyote's also but I know squat about them so today I begin my training.

We have a corner roughly 3x4 where we want them we haven't decided what type of shelf to put them on but I am thinking about finding a rustic looking iron garden shelf or something. maybe a modified corner china nook.

Anyways what are the lighting requirements for peyote's can they be mixed in with other kinds in a large planter or pot and what other kinds of cactus would be fun and pretty to have as decoration. the rest of the house is done in western/50's diner type stuff and desert motif.

If the approach we are taking is flawed let me know now I am off to do some reading on the subject over at the shroomery.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCactusdan
Stranger

Re: cactus questions [Re: pha3r0]
    #493557 - 10/30/10 05:38 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Very few cacti do well in low light, you're better off considering another kind of plant.

Euphorbias and aloe can do well if you still desire a succulent of some sort, but aside from that most cacti grow WAY faster and WAY healthier outdoors.

Lophophora sp. can do OK with strong fluorescent lighting, but are prone to spider mites and other pests.

Trichocereus are almost guaranteed to etiolate under any kind of indoor light and are big hosts to thrips.

Sorry to crush your hopes and dreams, but I hope this helps :smile:

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Dreams of Oceans
Male

Re: cactus questions [Re: pha3r0]
    #493885 - 10/31/10 03:36 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I agree with Cactusdan on the lighting issue.

Also, peyote grows very slowly.  Depending on where you get them and if you start from seed you could be waiting 3-4 years before you have anything really interesting to look at.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~knehnav/cultivation.htm

--------------------
I am not a cannabis grower.  I find the cannabis growers to be the most open to experimenting and sharing out of all of the different botany groups I enjoy.  I frequently use the suggestions that I find to apply to own organic gardening and food production.

Invisibledoublehelix
Bodhisativa

Re: cactus questions [Re: CrayolaHalls]
    #497723 - 11/13/10 11:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

you'd need to graft it to speed up growing

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder