Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #357185 - 02/03/10 11:23 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the kudos but now I have a headache from my ego swelling all up like a balloon.

Cannabis and tomatoes pretty much like the same stuff as all plants do, lots of light, good dirt, and enough food. I am giving the plants my buddy has the same food I have always given my tomatoes and other veggies and they are loving it!

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: TrueHerbCrystal]
    #357188 - 02/03/10 11:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TrueHerbCrystal said:
Wow, thanks pah3r0! And thank you Inverted! You've both gave me useful info on this whole Miracle Grow debate.

I guess I'll be looking for that Fox Farm soil, and if I don't find it, I can use the most basic Miricale Grow (organic) as a cheap alternative, like Inverted describe.

On a side note, I just wanted to say something to Inverted: I'm *really* glad you took off that video you had in your signature. It was really distracting. It was so distracting, I no longer wanted to read your posts, which by the way are very thoughtful and easy to understand, because that ridiculous video of some kid busting open cartoon Donkey barrels then proceds to have banana buttsex for no apparent reason at all. I mean the banana wasn't even in the barrel to begin with. It makes no sense! So when I tried to read you well-written posts, all I saw was that damn video, just screaming at me saying: "Hey! Over here! Don't read his post, look at this video and feel awkard!". I'm very happy its gone. Now I can finally take your advice seriously!

But yeah, I really don't wanna burn my plants (except when they are done flowering): that would be a horrible. I'll be looking for that Fox Farm, or at the least, some organic MG.

>>> One of the reasons why I bought it was because it had a photo of tomatos on the package, and I read somewhere that tomatos and MJ grow in similar soils. Is that true? I know they are sometimes grown together outdoors to detract the "green harvest" heli's, but do they have similar substrate requirements?

Your Help is Honored with Great Value
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

Seriously I just laughed my ass off.  Maybe it was the insane wake n' bake I just performed but wow.

I'm not going to lie, FFOF is dank.  I use it for a reason, but when I had no money and had some MG laying around; you better bet I used it.  I've never really had any gripes with it, except for the TR fertilizers in it.  I just flush OFTEN and HEAVY at the end of flowering, and it works alright.  Adding perlite, worm castings and quano would make it much more usable.

Tomatoes from what I understand, are very close genetically to Cannabis.  It prefers a very similar environment, which is probably why I grow them outdoors w/ my plants and had a huge harvest of tomatoes last year.  They also prefer similar amounts of nutrients and lighting, and grow nearly the same size except for some equatorial sativas.  This would draw me to conclude that they probably prefer the same rooting conditions and mediums to grow lush in.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Inverted]
    #357823 - 02/04/10 08:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good news guys!

I went to my local garden supply store and I found the Fox Farm(R) Ocean Forest soil mix! :smile2::awesome::grin::thumbup:

Here's the stuff for other growers reference....

Whoa! Trippy graphics! :eek::mushroom2:

I might just use "as is" and not add any perlite or vermiculite because of what Hawks said:

"When it comes to Ocean Forest a lot of people add perlite to the soil.  Personally I use it as is."

^Which makes sense because I read the ingredents on the package, and one of them was perlite, so its already got some in there.

And I found a little "Easter Egg" on the back of the package (top-left of pic) about the location of the company. And this makes me more confident that this is the perfect soil for my purposes....

^I can't believe its from HC. I wonder if a bunch of growers started the company? Pretty funny. Now I know for sure this is the right soil for the job!

>>>> And more good news: my seeds from the UK just came in the mail today! No signature required! I love it. I will be germinating tonight, but first I gotta dance.... :awedance:

For germinating, I'll be putting the Fox Farm soil into these little 3 inch fiber pots and then planting the seeds in the soil, old skool style....

Should work pretty good, I hope. Well, got to get to work now....

Time for a Journal Entry
~ TrueHerbCrystaL ~

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#357839 - 02/04/10 09:49 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I agree with everything in that post except for those fiber pots.  They really restrict roots more than the picture shows, and they start to break down and get messy before you transplant them.

Anyways you will be fine as long as you give them a new home within a couple weeks before the roots start becoming attached to the fiber material.  Or you can just tear it apart all over the place before the next transplant to make sure the roots will have no problem navigating out of that pot.  You don't want a concentrated core of roots.  I've had this problem for years and just started getting around it by breaking up the rootball without severe damage to the root system, therefore allowing the existing roots to branch out much quicker and more effectively post transplant.  They delay for a couple days but then they really take off.  :thumbup:

I'll show you my transplant from 3-4 days ago.  Also w/ FFOF.  :heart:

Picture of just after transplant.

Picture of tonight.  (31/2 Days later)

Huge growth explosion in only a few days.

I owe it to a good transplanting technique, Great soil, and good nutrients.

P.S.  Get the big bag!  :wink: 

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #357898 - 02/05/10 02:35 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Haha, I never knew that was a video in Inverted's sig, I thought it was just some weird photoshopped pic of Inverted.  Haha I thought you were a little bird chested kid all that time!

:laugh2:

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #357910 - 02/05/10 04:33 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

When you put the seeds in the cups put a piece of suran wrap over the top and fasten it with a rubber band. You will be making a mini green house. The main reason for doing it is you won't have to water and disturb the seed before it comes out of the soil. Once it does pop us remove the suran wrap cause leaving it on can cause rot on the stem or leaves.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: Magash]
    #357937 - 02/05/10 07:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

grrrr i hate this cow town! i have been to every place that could conceivably carry FF soil and have struck out majorly. but at least the rest of us can find it :grin:

And I totally agree with coda about the fiber pots. they might do okay for some veggies and flowers but they can really make a mess of things if you let them get bound up and then try to separate them. Almost all wal-marts or other stores should have their jiffy pellets in stock now I like to use those for all my seed and clone starts.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Growing with Soil: Should I Use "Seed Starting" potting mix? [Re: dutc2006]
    #357991 - 02/05/10 11:32 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

dutc2006 said:
Haha I thought you were a little bird chested kid all that time!

:laugh2:

Who says I'm not!?

Jk I'm a smaller guy but I'm not as skinny as that little bitch... Hah

--------------------

OfflineTrueHerbCrystal
Uncertified Oregrowian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Emerald City Flag
    #358147 - 02/05/10 04:37 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Wow! Thanks for the photo post Inverted! I'm guessing that's not a CFL grow, but some HPS. But I see you used the same soil as I am going to use. I have re-newed confidence now....

Did you make any changes to the soil, like adding perlite or fertilizer? Or did you use it plain?

And those plants are so close to eachother. I firgured that would be bad for the plants, with FAE and all. But you're the expert, and I trust ya judgement! :laugh:

Well, I got my seeds, and I'm planning to plant at the most sacred time, 4:20pm (Pacific coast time).

I will be planting them in small 3" clay pots (no more silly plantable fiber pots) and I will take your advice Magash about the clear plastic wrap: its to increase the humidity right?

I don't have any rubber bands, so I'll be using duct tape instead. Is that cool?

Thanks for all your help guys, and its sad to hear you can't find any soil in your little town pha3r0. I think I barely made it on this one, because my towns pretty little.

Anyway, gotta prepare for 4:20 seed plant.

Later Dudez! :smile2::thumbup:
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

#358444 - 02/06/10 12:31 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

heh no biggy we used MG for this first run and it's going okay hopefully we can put the next ones in better dirt. I have a nice compost pile that will be ready come spring.

--------------------
- Thomas Szasz

- mhbound

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale