Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedieselkush

geto grow, soil question
    #292948 - 10/06/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey, well Im doing one of the most geto grows ive ever done. its a cfl grow. ive got 3 30 gal rubbermaids ive got set up. exauhst, intake, lights are placed. my only issue is I have no money for soil at the moment. I got peat moss stalk piled, I was thinking about snagging some soil from the back yard. if I do this how do I sterilize it? ive got liquid nutes so it doesnt need to keep nutrition in it. where I am I doubt theres any in it anyways. Can I just nuke it? or oven ster. it? my only thought is it will dry the fuck out. if thats the case Ill just go with straight peatmoss because it would be the same. I need herb, im looking for a job so this will give me plenty of time to get a few plants growing. its winter time so heat shouldnt be an issue. anyways...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: dieselkush]
    #292957 - 10/06/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

why do you want to sterlize?  to kill insect eggs?

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinedieselkush

Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: coda]
    #292964 - 10/06/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yep, to make sure theres not bad bacteria or insects. I know from experience small spaces with bad soil is bound for disaster. Id go with peatmoss, but ive read that it drys out fast. if I had to use it straight im sure I could rig something up where it is damp or water fed so I dont have to water it by hand every 10 min. ive read that you can sterilize soil im just woundering what would be the best way. I googled it but got little results for it.ive only got about 8 seeds. other wise it wouldnt be an issue. but it wouldnt be good if they fell to nats, or some other problem because of the soil.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: dieselkush]
    #292987 - 10/06/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Peat also grows acidic over time.  I don't like peat in my grows at all, because it prevents me from re-using the soil.
If you want to sterilize your soil, go to the shroomery and look up the pillowcase pasteurization tek...that'll do it for sure.
Also, if you want to do a lot all at once create a closed bed in your yard, fill it with soil, moisten the soil to field capacity (not dripping, but wet enough that a few drops of water come out if you squeeze a fistful) and cover it with a sheet of plexi glass on a sunny day.  The high temps and greenhouse effect will sterilize the soil.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: 81renaissance]
    #292992 - 10/06/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yah, you'd be much better going with coco or perlite rather then peat.

--------------------

OfflineKine
    #293184 - 10/07/09 02:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Pasteurizing and steilizing are two different things.  Pasteurizing would be better tho; leaves benifitial bacteria.  IDK how it works with buggies tho...

Broke?  Coir.  2.50 a brick; 8oz worth of soil.  Holds water; very airy.  Great shit.  Wanna be a big baller?  Pick up verm too; $5 a small bag; $20 for about 20 lbs of the shit.  That'll also help water retention and airation.

And another super easy way is boiling water.  5gal bucket; or whatever, fill it with product of choice; dump in boiling water.  Pasteurizes and hydrates to field cap.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: Kine]
    #293253 - 10/07/09 10:18 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Kine said:
Pasteurizing and steilizing are two different things.  Pasteurizing would be better tho; leaves benifitial bacteria.

This isn't exactly right.  If you buy "sterilized" soil in a bag from a nursery it has undergone a pasteurization process.
In Shroom growing there is a big difference between sterilizing and pasteurizing, but in horticulture it is all pasteurization.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #293281 - 10/07/09 11:48 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

This isn't exactly right.

well i dunno, i think he's right.  Pasteurization and sterilization ARE two different things.  But you're right in the sense that you never want to truly sterilize a soil as you would leave it void of anything a plant needs to grow.

--------------------

OfflineKine
    #293408 - 10/07/09 06:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yea; what he said.  Theres no way pasteurizing and sterilized are the same.  And it doesnt matter where you go; weed or shrooms; if you say you sterilized your soil; you'll be laughed at.  Theres a reason nobody sterilizes it.  Sterile soil is useless.  Mise well use the earth from a back yard; no nutes; and piss for water if you ask me.

But you are correct in saying Horticulture use never sterilizes anything.  But you try and buy sterile soil somewhere and i bet A) You wont find it cause it'd be stupid or B) Its crap; or its a foreign product so its all worded shitty; and wrong.

I promise you im 100% correct; and that its no where near the same thing.  But you are correct in the whole horticulture uses pasteurized. But Use the wrong terms in the wrong places; your going to get the wrong outcome...  I've worked a garden center or two :wink:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: Kine]
    #293440 - 10/07/09 07:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, but if you look on the bags at nurseries it says "sterilized"...this is a stupid semantics argument.  We're all saying the same thing in different ways.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #293445 - 10/07/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ahhhh.....sometimes you guys make me want to bang my head on the keyboard.

Ok, peat is not going to work unless you buy a bunch of shit to pretty much make it a soil. Just buy the cheapest soil at the market and use that. You'll be way a head of using just peat or making the massave mess your going to make pasturizing soil or at least 90 gallons of it. (I'd love to watch that by the way) :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: geto grow, soil question [Re: Magash]
    #293467 - 10/07/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ha...Magash is right here, but since the OP sounded hell bent on using free dirt, I thought I'd tell him how he could do it.
Also I was secretly hoping he would try to pasteurize that much soil.
:lol:

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom