Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePlantasia
Pastoral Pork Fundamentalist

Electrical Use in aparments.
    #351139 - 01/21/10 01:21 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That Hanky guy had a thread about how HPS don't use as much as people think. I've had a 600watt HPS system for years and it's barely seen use. As I've decided to go with that and not a LED system I now can begin obsessing about power usage and the incredibly unlikely even of a fire.

When I tell people cannabis/cannabis grows are safe, I bring up the "FACT" that most grow fires are caused by stealing electricity, correct?(I'm sure I read that somewhere)

So what do you guys think of electrical use?
I live in an area loaded with grows. And the managers around here aren't stupid. Though the one I have now is a young lady, and as long as I keep the smell down, I doubt she'll be scrutinizing my power meter.

If someone ask what can I say? That I use a fancy giant computer/recording studio set up? I mean if they are asking about my high power bill I suppose I'd already be screwed. And besides, I thinking of running one 600watt HPS, not even a couple of 1000watt bulbs. I KNOW I should be on the safe side. And many of you are "getting away" with more.

But I just wanted some advice and reassurance that I'm being a little overly paranoid.

I've always been like that the few times I used this system. Paranoid about power usage, and the incredibly unlikely even of a fire. :blush:

--------------------
It is much better to learn the elements of geology, of botany:sheesha: , or ornithology and astronomy by word of mouth from a companion than dully from a book.
— Ralph Waldo Emerson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTomCollins

Re: Electrical Use in aparments. [Re: Plantasia]
    #351142 - 01/21/10 01:29 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Most high end gaming computers these days consume more power than my setup:

If she comes by asking what's with the electric usage, just say you had to plug in an electric heater (because its winter and cold outside) or that you've started leaving your computer on all the time (because booting and shit takes too long.)

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Electrical Use in aparments. [Re: TomCollins]
    #351152 - 01/21/10 03:16 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

If your is an area loaded with grows, then why aren't they catching the other people?  Are they using generators?  Probably not.  Don't let that paranoia get the best of you.  There have been certain members here posting a lot of fear mongering electricity usage questions and they are ridiculous.  If all you are using light-wise is a 600W you are golden.  I have about 500W in my veg room 24/7, 600W HPS on 12/12 for flower, a 900W portable AC unit that runs 24/7 and pumps and aquarium heaters and all types of fans, and that is just growing accessories, and I live in a small 3 bedroom house and do not worry.  I have a gaming PC that has a 750W PSU (given it doesn't use that much juice consistently) that runs 24/7 folding@home just tacking my bill up higher.  And to make matters worse, I do my laundry every 3 days and cook at home most of the time...my point is you are safe if you pay your bill on time, keep grow related trash out of your garbage outside, flush plant material and tell nobody, and you will never have to worry.

In regards to fire safety, avoid jinky looking cheap ballasts from days of yore, go with a quality digital ballasts from a good company like Lumatek or Nexgen and fires should be of no concern, of course as long as you use common sense safety in your electrical wiring.

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Electrical Use in aparments. [Re: dutc2006]
    #351197 - 01/21/10 10:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Also, when I was at the hydro store the other day I noticed they have mountable sprinkler canisters... Like a cross between a fire extinguisher and those sprinkler heads you see in commercial buildings... They go off at a certain temperature I believe.

Man I was thinking ultimate peace of mind if you felt like hanging one of those over your grow.

Also, power usage isn't that big of a deal...  You can also try to use less power on other things in your home to meet in the middle with your electricity usage...  Start making sure your computer's setup to save power, switch all the lights in your home to CFLs and be a nazi about turning them off...  Do your laundry at a laundromat instead of in your unit (Though that could look weird too I guess...)

Offlineshags420
Stranger

Re: Electrical Use in aparments. [Re: DudeTron]
    #351455 - 01/21/10 05:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I was under the impression that only some of the power companies notify the authorities of high power bills. high power bills aren't enough for a warrant so as long as you follow dutc2006's advice you should be cool.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies