Home | Community | Message Board

Royal Queen Seeds Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineramshackle
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession?
    #348496 - 01/15/10 11:01 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? Seed. Cheapie White Label "White Skunk" from PlanetSkunk
2. How old are your plants? About a month
3. How tall are your plants? 5-6 Inches
4. What size containers are they planted in? 8-10 Inch diameter, 1 Gal each
5. What is your soil mix? Store bought potting mix with fertiliser. Pretty nice stuff, not the horrible woody shit
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? Tap water. Keep the pot trays full, almost every day due to high evaporation. Water the plants themselves lightly every 4-5 or so days.
7. What is the pH of your water? Don't know but it's not noticeably hard or soft.Probably reasonably close to neutral.
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? Haven't fertilised yet, potting mix had built in fertiliser.
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? No.
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 2x 48W CFLs @ ~5000*K. (The box claimed each was 200W incandescent equivalent) So 96W total CFL or 400W Incandescent
11. How close are your lights to the plants? Almost touching, half an inch or so.
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? About 3sqft, 1.5-2 of which is unused.
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? Averages about 28*C and 40% Humidity. Min = 23*C/35%, Max = 35*C/45%
14. What is the pH of the soil? Unknown.
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? None.
16. How much experience do you have growing? Almost none. In fact only prior experience was to kill a few seedlings with unprejudiced ignorance and panic as described in my "they're dead" thread.

Guys!

My seeds were originally sprouted using paper towel method and all planted in the same big ass pot, to guard against the low humidity/high temperature environment I can't help but provide. 2/3 seeds sprouted.

They were doing really well with visible growth every day for about 4 weeks. The inter-nodal distance, as I understand it, is very short, something like 3/4 of an inch between branches. (Well, it is an Indica dominant strain, right?) I did notice that a couple of the larger, lower leaves edges were starting to curl slightly which I understand is due to heat stress which is not surprising given I know my grow space is hot, but my country is hot and there's not much I can do at the moment.

They recently got big enough that the leaves started to overlap, so I transplanted them into their own separate pots.

This is when the trouble started. Amazingly, the roots were a good 8-10 inches deep in the soil, all the way to the bottom, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get the entirety of the root system out cleanly. It seemed the roots found the very nice reservoir of water in the big pot's tray underneath and were loving it, making them robust and drought resistant. Quite often I'd let the surface soil get completely bone dry for days on end and they wouldn't complain with any wilting, so long as that tray was kept topped up.

Post transplant they wilted a fair bit and stopped growing for a couple of days. After 2 days, they have now lifted and the tips have resumed rapid growth as before. Trouble is it seems that the shock has largely killed the lower leaves. I suppose that's to be expected? I wasn't really expecting this scale of damage though!

My question is, should I prune off the largely dead lower leaves, are they a burden on the plant? 

If that's advisable, I'd like to see if I can smoke up those leaves because my girl has never smoked before and would love to give it a quick go, however low quality the gear. I'm wondering if this is the case, whether they will have enough of a kick to even notice the effect or should we not disappoint ourselves? :jah:

The other general question I have is do these babies look like they could use some fertiliser soon? I was thinking blood & bone and/or some nice home brew compost tea. :crazy2: Would also appreciate any comments! Thankyou!

Lovely little buggers!! Slight leaf curl, due to heat stress?

Post transplant: Oh noes!

Post transplant: Woopsie doodle!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession? [Re: ramshackle]
    #348544 - 01/16/10 08:26 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

someone more advanced will have to tell you for sure on the curly edges it could be from a few things and with the soil it may be an overdose too, never use soil with time release food in it.

as for the lower leaves leave them until they are for sure going to fall off anyways the plant will pull some nutes back out of them as they die off. don't smoke them. THC content will be about 0 and though i have never done it i imagine it would be the worst taste. definitely not the chronic you want to try for your first puff.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

InvisibleNightGrower
Proficient Horticulturist
Male

Re: Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession? [Re: ramshackle]
    #348545 - 01/16/10 08:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Copy and pasted your possibilities from the Plant Diagnosis ( pulled off this website) http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/234999

1) If the problem affects only the bottom or middle of the plant go to #2.

2) Leaves are a uniform yellow or light green; leaves die & drop; growth is slow. Leaf margins are not curled-up noticeably. >> Nitrogen(N) deficiency. b) If not, go to #3.

3) Margins of the leaves are turned up, and the tips may be twisted. Leaves are yellowing (and may turn brown), but the veins remain somewhat green. >> Magnesium (Mg) deficiency. b) If not, go to #4.

4) Leaves are browning or yellowing. Yellow, brown, or necrotic (dead) patches, especially around the edges of the leaf, which may be curled. Plant may be too tall. >> Potassium (K) deficiency. b) If not, keep reading.

5) Leaves are dark green or red/purple. Stems and petioles may have purple & red on them. Leaves may turn yellow or curl under. Leaf may drop easily. Growth may be slow and leaves may be small. >> Phosphorus(P) deficiency. b) If not, go to #6.

6) Tips of leaves are yellow, brown, or dead. Plant otherwise looks healthy & green. Stems may be soft >> Over-fertilization (especially N), over-watering, damaged roots, or insufficient soil aeration (use more sand or perlite. Occasionally due to not enough N, P, or K. b) If not, go to #7.

I stopped at #6 because I believe due to you mentioning they were recently transplanted, you may have damaged the roots.

--------------------
Learn of Terence Mckenna. Check out the Shroomery to learn more about what one man did for mushies. Thank you, Terence.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession? [Re: NightGrower]
    #348594 - 01/16/10 11:04 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The leaf curl is heat stress.  Textbook sample.

I damage my roots with every transplant, I tear apart the root ball and spread it across the new soil then cover those roots and I notice ZERO stress.

Transplanting stress is usually caused by moving them to soil that doesn't match what they were living in before.

You want your soil to be fairly on the dry side when transplanting.  wet enough to hold it together but that's all.  You want the mediums to match as closely as possible.  It's the rapid change in environment for the roots that causes stress in my opinion.  I struggled with transplants for years and have finally gotten it down to no stress, even tearing the rootball up so I don't think root damage has that much of an impact.

That was taken the day after transplant, including mauling the root ball.

They look better than pre-transplant.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlinepha3r0
Stranger

Re: Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession? [Re: Inverted]
    #348990 - 01/17/10 11:18 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Back on the farm when we would plant our 100 or so tomatoes we ALWAYS smacked the snot out of the root ball when it was planted. When we transplanted 'the dream' it hadn't gotten root bound so we did not disturb them at all.

I think maybe for such a precious crop I would lean on only messing with the root during transplant if they are really bound up. Whatever stress that might inflict would be outwieghed by having a healthier root system down the road.

--------------------
"The proverb warns that, "You should not bite the hand that feeds you." But maybe you should, if it prevents you from feeding yourself."
- Thomas Szasz

"if you arent good with electricity dont go touching it...ive electrocuted myself twice...its no fun"
- mhbound

Offlineramshackle
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Transplant shock? Pruning solution? Paranoid obsession? [Re: pha3r0]
    #349207 - 01/18/10 04:05 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the input y'all!

Well, I did end up snipping the really dead ones. There are a couple on there that have dabbled brown but 99% healthy.

I smoked up the handful I chopped, mostly just curious to see if they'd do anything - NADA!! Didn't taste bad, in fact barely tasted of anything.

I was careful with the roots but as I said, there was inevitable tearing on the longest ones. I think the extreme heat was the primary cause. I transplanted into the same soil - from the same bag even!

Both plants are looking nice again and resumed growth, but the slight curl on the leaf edges is happening on almost every leaf now!

Methinks I need to build a cooler space. One that don't get to 35 degrees C!!!! :sun: :mad2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck