Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Debate: removing damaged leaves. [Re: Inverted]
    #348816 - 01/16/10 06:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Inverted said:
Show me what is damaging by removing 10% of those, so that 50% of the plant will be allowed more direct light?

I don't believe you are "damaging" the plant, per se.  Like somebody above said, light intensity is governed by the inverse square law.  The energy that the larger and higher fan leaves take in is greater than the amount of energy that the lower fan leaves take in.  So why remove a higher larger fan leaf that is doing more work?  I am only talking about healthy fan leaves here.  I can see pruning healthy leaves being more beneficial in shorter bushier indicas where the light won't have to travel much farther after a leaf has been removed, as opposed to stretched out sativas, where the internode distances are longer.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Debate: removing damaged leaves. [Re: dutc2006]
    #348893 - 01/16/10 09:40 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I see what your point is, and agree with you totally, but my plant is only 20 inches tall, so I'm really not losing much light intensity by lowering the absorbing leaves 4 inches.

You see what I'm saying here?

This plant has a lower canopy.  I removed 4 larger fans from near the middle of the plant, and this only opened up more fans for light.  I decided the trim was best for the plant and so far, after removing those, It looks like ALL of the lower budsites will be taking off.  It just seems more open, but the lower canopy gets MUCH more light so I think in my situation with shorter plants with super fat leaves, taking a few key leaves is a good idea.

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

Offlineblueberry D
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
    #348969 - 01/17/10 09:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

That main bud looks fat as hell, good job inverted.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Debate: removing damaged leaves. [Re: blueberry D]
    #348977 - 01/17/10 10:33 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

:thumbup: Thanks man, it really swelled up recently.  Most of the weight will come from that I would think.  That is my favorite plant by far.  The smell, trich coverage, and overall health are all amazing.  Should have used it as a mother.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #349047 - 01/17/10 03:27 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey Inverted I have a plant that looks almost exactly like yours, what strain is that?  Mine is growing right now in my flower box, see it right there on the left?

I don't know what the strain is, I got the seed from a friend.  I didn't want to waste to much time on an unknown strain when I had so many good known genetics to work with so I 12/12ed it from seed.  It has one gnarley thick bud on top, and smells like nothing good.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#349086 - 01/17/10 05:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice!

But I have one question, what happened, it didn't grow any branches because you flowered it from seed?

It may be deceiving scale wise but my plant is not really that small.  I think it's more like 24 inches tall and has around 10 branches that range from 4-6 inches.  Now that it has swelled up a little more (day 51) my hopes came back up.  I think my two Indica phenotypes will yield an Oz combined.  I really can't wait for next run, this was a throwaway.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Grow or Die

Folding@home Statistics
    #349089 - 01/17/10 05:58 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yea, all the would be nodes just ended up growing alongside the main stalk.  Pretty typical for 12/12 from seed with an indica/ruderalis dominant strain.  The top cola is just fat as hell.  I just measured mine, it is only 16" tall from the base of the stalk.  I just thought it looked really similar pheno-wise to yours.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

#349148 - 01/17/10 09:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh yeah I totally agree.  It's Chrystal (NL x WW) x NL

And that specific plant is by far the best yielder and smell.  We'll see how the potency checks out in about 10 days.

--------------------

Offlinepblcenmy1
Perfectionist
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
    #349856 - 01/18/10 10:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

to get back on topic, its always best to understand why the leaf was damaged or is in need of removal.  In my experience, not just with marijuana, bottom leafs turn or die because of lack of light.  This is true with power house photosynthesizers.  Its either trimming of top leafs, or the natural dieing of lower ones.  And if leaf damage occurs because of heat, lack of nutrients, pests, etc, then simply removing the leafs wont keep this from reoccurring. 

the removal of suspect leafs is not a science, but understanding and preventing such problems is much more exact.

personally, i see no problems with stress fully trimming a plant to either provide room for future expansion, or to allow more light penetration.  This also allows the plant to prioritize and to naturally adapt, which, in my my opinion is a crucial part to understanding how plants react to their environment.

--------------------
Down 2 Earth, Up N Space!

OfflineClementine
Stranger
A question about damaged leaves [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #459274 - 08/13/10 08:26 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have a small plant. It sprouted maybe a week or so ago. My cat chewed on two of its leaves, the largest ones. They didn't recover and I left them like that hoping that they would...Should I just remove them and let new ones grow? Would the plant be able to survive, since it's so young?

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A question about damaged leaves [Re: Clementine]
    #459328 - 08/13/10 09:59 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

In that case I would recommend leaving the leafs on. In this thread i was thinking primarily about leaves damaged from internal sources such as overfeeding, underwatering etc. If it was just your cat giving them a chomp then I'm sure the plant will bounce back :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

Re: A question about damaged leaves [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #459364 - 08/13/10 11:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i've always removed any dead or damaged leaves for fear of attracting bugs or disease because of dying organic matter hangin out in the grow room.

maybe im just paranoid, but havent had any problems doin it that way

OfflineTank333
Psychotic Hippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: A question about damaged leaves [Re: boomsaway]
    #463983 - 08/20/10 03:06 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

OK, so I'm hella new, and I just got invited to help a friend with his father's crop. I've never grown before, but I've listened to as many growers as I could, and watched when and where I could. And I know next to nothing about the plants themselves yet, other than they were in hydro, and then they moved them into soil when stagnant water caused black spotting on the roots.

As soon as I walked into the room, I cringed, and I could almost feel their pain. He has the lights literally centimeters away from the plants! He has several cfl's hanging around the plants, and every single one has burn damage, either on the buds, or the tips of the leaves.

Everyone here's talked about nute damage and whatnot, but no-one's specifically mentioned heat burn. My question is, after raising the lights away from the plants, should I trim off the burned portions of the leaves, or should I wait to see if they can recover? I'll just remove anything more than 50% yellowed, but will the small tips of the leaves be fine if left, or should I trim those?

Also, I'd been told that there's a certain way you're supposed to cut the leaves, if you do trim off the burned/damaged portion. Is there any truth to that, or is that just someone wanting to sound knowledgeable?

--------------------
My best run so far

InvisibleMagashM
The Feminizer
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: A question about damaged leaves [Re: Tank333]
    #464394 - 08/20/10 05:02 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

If the leaves are burned there not gonna recover in the burned areas. There is no special method of cutting the leaves. :wink:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight Evil with Funk
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhat North of Normal
Re: A question about damaged leaves [Re: Magash]
    #464811 - 08/21/10 01:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting related thread at ic about using some pretty intense manual defoliation: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=174163

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck