Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleUlala

taking the plunge for first time grow
    #338363 - 12/30/09 11:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey everyone, I've been reading guides and journals and researching lights and soils for what has seemed like ages now, and think I'm ready to try my hand at a grow. I have an ~3x3 space in a cabinet I've set up in my closet. Everything is covered with mylar inside, and I'm just a couple of steps away from getting started. I'm hoping to have some things clarified here first though. :smile:

Since I'm doing an indoor grow, I'd like to keep the smell to a minimum. Can a strain really be "neutral smelling?" (Blue Mystic for example) Is it neutral smelling enough that I wouldn't need a carbon filter on my out take? I'm guess I'm mostly worried about advertising vs. reality.

Are non-neutral smelling strains extremely odorous?

Is there a particular strain you would recommend for a first time grower? Some of my needs are plants that don't grow too tall, don't smell excessively, due to size and location of my grow space. I'd also like a strain that can clone well (if that matters). (Strains I'm considering are: White Widow, Northern Light, Full Moon, Blue Mystic, and AK-48) Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, can someone help me understand how a carbon filter works? I've seen some DIY guides and a couple of youtube videos, but I still don't really understand the science behind it. It just seems like a quick mishmash of chicken wire, pantyhose, duct tape, and carbon and I'm just not getting it. I feel if I can understand it well, I'll be able to construct my own to match my needs better. Any DIY guides you can recommend (especially if there are pictures!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help guys! I'm sorry if these have been asked many times before. I read as many FAQs, stickies, guides, and journals as I could before the excitement of starting my own grow got to me. I tried to do all I could until I had more specific questions. :wink:

Cheers!

--------------------
My first grow, aeroponics from A-Z:  Ulala's First Grow Comments welcome!

If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.
            -Jack Handy

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: Ulala]
    #338388 - 12/31/09 02:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hey there! Welcome to the Growery!  I don't know too much about strains to be honest so I'll let a pro jump in a help you on the smell thing, but the rest of that I think I can help with.

The way carbon filters work is just as simple as it seems. The basic design is to pull the air through the layer of carbon particles over as large a surface area as you can. The only real "trick" to how they work is the amazing filtering ability of activated charcoal. it's basically just a bunch of tiny particles of charcoal with tiny little pockmarks everywhere giving it a tremendous surface area to volume ratio. Basically small molecules such as N2, O2, CO2 etc all pass through, but larger molecules (such as the various terpenes and phenols that cause smell) get trapped in these little pockmarks.

As for a smaller strain, plants that are primarily Indica will grow shortest and stretch least. Most sativas are taller, lankier, and take longer to finish

Don't hesitate with any further questions you might have :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #338389 - 12/31/09 02:57 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah strains that don't stink, no clue.

I just told someone else this but I may as well say it again.  Ditch the Mylar, and paint your grow space with flat white paint.  It's way more reflective and it reflects evenly unlike Mylar, which give you hot point of light.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleUlala

Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #338392 - 12/31/09 03:09 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ah okay, I assume hot points can cause problems or burn your plants?

Thank you for the explanation of the carbon filter, Harry! The filter is next on my to do, and that breakdown helps muchly. Hopefully some of the DIYs will make a little more sense now! :p

I'll try to pick an Indica or mostly Indica strain. Still curious about the "neutral smelling" strain though!

Thanks again for the info guys! Any new info anyone can contribute, I'll take! I know I'll be checking back often, probably with some new questions.

--------------------

If you're robbing a bank and your pants fall down, I think it's okay to laugh and to let the hostages laugh too, because, come on, life is funny.
            -Jack Handy

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #338394 - 12/31/09 03:14 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe not "burning" per se, but you will get a much more even coverage with FWP, therefore more efficient conversion of light by photosynthesis.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #338422 - 01/01/10 10:06 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm, if you're into a neutral smelling strain try a northen lights or big bud variety.  Obviously stay away from anything that has skunk in it's lineage.  A couple I've grown out with minimal smell were chronic and heavy duty fruity.  They had some odor to them, but it wasn't overpowering and I was able to grow them without a carbon filter.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for my current grow, if I leave my exhaust fan off during the dark hours the room I grow in becomes overpowered lol.  I can also recommend the Ona odor blockers.  I can't speak for them removing odors Per se, but I keep a can of it by the entrance to my house and it works really well.  A little strong at points, but it covers up any residual smell which may float into the living area.

Quick pic of how a carbon filter fits in your grow room (one way at least).

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleUlala

Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: coda]
    #338482 - 01/01/10 12:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, good deal. I think I'd like to try to assemble a carbon filter anyway, I'm just not super DIY-savy, but that's part of why I want to take on this project, so I can learn! And then if I fail miserably at the filter, I'll have some other options at least. :tongue:

How does intake/outtake work? What I mean is how do I make sure enough fresh air is going in, and how do I make sure that air only exits through my filter?

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Edited by Ulala (01/01/10 12:52 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338486 - 01/01/10 12:57 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The air doesn't exit through the filter, you pull the air through the filter and push it out of the grow room.  See how the fan sits on top of my filter in that pic?  It draws the air from the room through the filter, through the exhaust of the filter, through the fan which pushes the air over my light, and finally out of the grow room.  I guess the easiest way to ensure you'll pull enough air through the filter is to find a fan that can pull more then double the cubic feet of your grow area.

So, for example, if you had a 30 CF room, you would want a fan somewhere in the 80-100 cfm range.  Enough to exchange the air twice a minute with a little extra to compensate for the drag of the filter.

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

#338523 - 01/01/10 03:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Oh I see, I think I get it. So you just have the one fan pulling air into the filter?

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338538 - 01/01/10 03:50 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yup

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

#338596 - 01/01/10 06:46 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Right on.

Here's another question about seed odrering: do you use a charge card with a phony name and/or address, in an attempt to keep things from being easy for big brother, or is this just silly paranoid behavior?

Does anyone just use their own card with all their info? Or maybe a friend's who doesn't ever smoke or plan to grow?

I've read to have them shipped somewhere clean, and other than where you plan to grow them. Is this also sound advice?

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338627 - 01/01/10 08:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

yah, that's pretty sound advice.  If you can get a PO box (they're cheap) have it sent there.  Lots of seed banks take money orders and such, so if you don't want to leave a credit card trail you can do that.  CC transactions are just quicker, if you have to mail your money to them it's going to double the time it takes to get your gear.

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

#338682 - 01/01/10 10:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I'd kinda like to get started ASAP, but don't want to make it easy for someone to track me (if that's the kind of thing that happens...)

I suppose I could go the money order route for peace of mind. :smile:

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #338760 - 01/02/10 10:11 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

more then likely you'll be ok ordering with a credit card.  I don't know if they accept them or not, but, you could always go buy one of those visa gift cards.  They act like a credit card but with a set balance.

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

#339833 - 01/03/10 10:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, that's a good point.

How important is humidity? Important enough to invest in a small humidifier for the grow space?

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #339844 - 01/03/10 10:54 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

unless you're growing in the desert, no.

--------------------

Invisibleboomsaway
 User Gallery

#341903 - 01/06/10 08:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Acutally. keep an eye on that humidity in those smaller areas.

mold will take off quick, i know...

good ventilation is key. i like to have exhaust and intake fans.

Edited by boomsaway (01/06/10 08:59 PM)

InvisibleUlala

Re: taking the plunge for first time grow [Re: boomsaway]
    #347382 - 01/13/10 11:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It sounds like I'll want to keep my humidity down to prevent mold?

I have some extra computer fans around that I'll probably use. I want more outtake than intake, right?

Also, does my carbon filter necessarily need to be a part of my outtake or can I just filter the air within the unit? I'm thinking not since it won't be air tight...

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #347803 - 01/14/10 04:53 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

the filter is designed to be used in your exhaust system to scrub the air before it hits the area you're exhausting to.  It won't do anything if you just stick it in there with no fan attached to it.

--------------------

InvisibleUlala

#348524 - 01/16/10 03:56 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

well I mean there would still be a fan attached to it, it would just sit independently inside my unit, but I decided this is inefficient. I'm going to try to get my carbon filter up and running tomorrow. Wish me luck! :smile:

--------------------

-Jack Handy

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck