Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea
    #339380 - 01/03/10 11:10 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i can t seem to get the motherfuckin hang of cloning.............
thank you for letting me vent on you guys...
i ve tried everything......it cant be this fuckin hard/difficult
(BTW, i don t usally cuss this much if you know what i mean)
consistent temps 70-75
ph- balanced
nutes-NA
lighting- 24/7 65k CFL off tops of cuttings 10-16in (any closer and ive had problems)
what i dont get is the first few times i tried to clone i had great success........i tried soil, perlite, and now this mister that everyone raves about. i tried the mister cloner because out of the motherfucking blue....and i mean BLUE (same conditions, same strain, same everything) i started getting extremely inconsistent results
like most to all dieing..............FUCK FUCK FUCK WTF!!!!!!!!
ok, mister cloner- everyone says "they get roots sooooo fast and healthy" fuck, 5 days in the cloner, NO roots poppin at all
all the plants seem to ALREADY be goin seriously macro deficient
like they fo sho won t have enough energy stored to make it till roots are developed..............HELP PLEASE....a phat 1/4 bag of dank in your mail box as a reward.
as always thank you guys very mucho
brutha J
one more piece of info, from the first day i placed the cuttings in the cloner they wilted and dropped off like flies not bouncing back
and the only way to avoid this it seems is for me to mist them by hand
all fucking day...................help!!!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblueberry D
Male User Gallery

Loc: michigan
Re: mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea [Re: marrbellade]
    #339441 - 01/03/10 12:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Invest in a humididty dome and put your cuttings in either peat pellets or rockwool cubes, I have used peat pellets and have had success but am currently using rockwool cubes which work better in my experience. I put these cubes or pellets on a bed of perlite so I can boost the humidity a bit, with this method I see roots in 4-6 days if you still have a problem I will take a pic for you. Hope this helps man.

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

Re: mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea [Re: blueberry D]
    #339468 - 01/03/10 01:12 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i have a humidity dome that is what i used first............
success then mold then success then all die..............ect
i used soil for the medium though
here are pics of my two set-ups

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea [Re: blueberry D] * 1
    #339485 - 01/03/10 01:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Perlite - 5$
Humidity Dome + Seedling tray - 3$
Peat Pellets - .10$ a piece
Seedling heat mat - 25$

Roots in a week - priceless.

I dunno, aero cloners are nice and all.  And truthfully propagating clones remains basically the same.  So whatever method you do end up using really won't be much better or worse then another.  You just have to follow the basic tenants of cloning and you'll be fine

1.) Warm root bed. While air temps may be a nice 70 how are the temps at your root bed?  78-80 degrees is optimal for root growth.

2.) Humidity.  If you're not using an aero cloner which provides constant oxygen and water to the root area, you need humidity.  Tall domes have worked best for me, even better if you can find the ones which have adjustable vents.  You want a nice fine collection of droplets on your dome.  If you add perlite to your tray and use a seedling mat you won't have to bother manually misting your dome a few times a day, otherwise you need to buy a small mister bottle.

3.) Substrate.  Again, if you're not going with an aero method your substrate selection is not important.  However, preparing the substrate is.  If you use rock wool you'll need to soak the cubes in Ph balanced water overnight.  Peat pellets are cheap, easy to use, and take just a few minutes to hydrate.  I'd stay away from cloning in soil.  Straight perlite wouldn't work so well as you'd have to constantly hydrate it.  If you went the perlite route I'd suggest mixing in some verm to provide water retention

4.) Rooting hormone.  Again, it doesn't really matter what you choose here.  I prefer gels over powders as they stick to the stems better and are easier to work with.  I also like rootech, but, that's a personal choice as I've used clonex with great success too.

5.) Patience.  Always is, and always will be, a virtue in any cultivation hobby.  You need to leave the cuttings alone.  Constantly disturbing them to check for root development will add more time into your cloning cycle.  Just set and forget, at the earliest check in a weeks time with a gentle pull on the cutting.  If you see the cutting move easily, leave it, if it's stuck solid it's rooted and should have roots poke through in another day or two.

My cloning method:

1.) Find a cutting you like, snip it so there's a good portion of stem below the first node (the node that sits right above your soil). 

2.) Cut at the base of the stem at a 45 degree angle.  The more surface area the better

3.) Scrape away any outer bark to reveal the lighter green tissue beneath.  This is where roots form, your rooting hormone will dissolve this bark but if you help it along you can shave off sometime

4.) Dip the cutting in your rooting hormone, I like getting a really nice glob of gel on there to ensure the stem is completely surrounded by it

5.) Stick in your substrate.  If you're not going the aero method make sure the substrate comes in contact with your stem.  You don't want any space between the stem and the substrate

6.) Stick in tray which is filled with perlite and put a humidity dome on top.  If you use the perlite let your cuttings sit undisturbed for a few days.  Then you should fan out the dome and let some fresh air in or crack the vents on your dome.

7.) Watch your roots grow.  Besides this last clone run I usually see roots in 7 days or so.

Anyways, that's what I personally do.  Lots of people prefer using aero or hydo methods to clone and that's just fine.  I don't have the room, money, or desire to use hydro methods so I stick with the plain jane, clip, dip, and wait method.  Can't beat the simplicity and cost effectiveness, plus it takes very little space, doesn't use electricity or require moving parts, and doesn't require constant changing of reservoir water or monitoring of water temps if growing in a cooler area.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea [Re: coda]
    #339490 - 01/03/10 01:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Um, I would say cloning in those red pots full of soil were your reasons for failure there.

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#339743 - 01/03/10 07:14 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

to coda-
although i have had success this way, its just so hit and miss

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #339746 - 01/03/10 07:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

because you're doing it wrong.

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#339747 - 01/03/10 07:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

and to ALL i mean ALL those who replied thank you very much
i can get down with this info
i can see from reading this exactly what im doing wrong
thanks
and for the record i grow in soil, tlo or at least that s how im learning, i had this areo and thought i d give it a try but i would rather use peat or rocw and cause i like simplicity and i got all the time in the world, aint goin nowhere, waitin for the buds to be done so i can practice a little patience
once again, thanks
brutha J
sorry for the attitude of frustration above

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #339748 - 01/03/10 07:38 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

No problem, I hope you realize the fact that just because you choose to flower your plants in soil does not prevent you from cloning in hydro(and vice versa if you clone in a soiless substrate).

Get your clippings out of those red pots and place your substrate directly on your perlite.  I would venture a guess your mister isn't setup right or your cuttings aren't long enough and are not getting soaked by the misters.  Could be wrong on that one, but it's a common problem.

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#339755 - 01/03/10 07:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

one last question
coda- do you saturate the perlite around the peats or is it damp, dry?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #339789 - 01/03/10 08:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I saturate the perlite in a strainer in my sink (much like you would do for mush cult), drain off the excess water, then stick it in the tray.

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#340767 - 01/05/10 02:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

pics to prove brutha j is a humble student, willing to listen to wisdom, and sometimes folly...............mmmmm

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #340979 - 01/05/10 05:36 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

How come the vents are open and what's up with that cord poking through one?  First couple of days under the dome you should have those vents closed, although it most likely won't hurt it too much, you want your Rh as high as possible.

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#341234 - 01/05/10 09:15 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

that cord is a thermo probe, had one lying around so i used it

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #341249 - 01/05/10 09:24 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ah, I see.

--------------------

OfflineLucid
Monster Plant Creator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada-ish. Flag
    #344879 - 01/10/10 08:40 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Amazing, I'm going to try this tech ill post my results!

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

Re: mister cloner: fuckin stupid idea [Re: Lucid] * 1
    #346259 - 01/12/10 11:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

it works kill...............i posted my set-up on the 5th, here it is the 12th...............

this is 7 days later........."roots in seven days= priceless"

this is what i did.........
1)follow codas prescription above,
2)i kept a close eye on them, never let the temp range too far. 80 at the root zone is perfect but i had temps range from 71+ to 80 (no higher no lower though)
3)at the first sign of lack of moisture i gently lifted the hood and gently misted the plants with plain distilled/PH balanced water (i dont know if the balancing is neccessary, i just had the water lying around so i used it)
4)DO NOT TOUCH!!!!! just let it set and wait (ok for all you smart asses out there, i used the force to take the picture so i wouldn t have to touch it)

other than this, i did do a few little things, in preparation that were, i believe neccessary. i will make a detail tek later, but let me say two things, 1)i have tried several methods, all of which sound and look excellent, and have gotten rave reviews from some who have tried them, but at the end of the day this simple method has been the easiest, least expensive, most efficiant, and most successful (25 cuttings, losses=1)
2) i d like to say i don t know coda that well and he might not know everything, and i hope this dosn t clog his mail, but this dude has helped me with good, GOOD, down to earth, no frills no bullshit, simple clean advice, not just on this subject but on other issues that i am at this moment having dealing with successfully thanks to some of codas advice..............didn t mean to put you on the spot dude, i just hate people running their mouths and never having anything to say except fucking your plants up.  when someone who actually knows what their talking about, people need to know they can be trusted......
thanks again
brutha j

PS........i m new, both to indoor growing and to this site, i don t know everybody yet, in fact i only know a few people so i m sure there are other very experienced growers out there who can help. im not trying to put anyone on a pedestal BUT if the fucking shoe fits than wear it.......

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #346467 - 01/12/10 04:44 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Congrats my man, when in doubt follow the KISS methodology (Keep It Simple Stupid).  Sometimes in this hobby it's way to easy to get caught up in complicated processes and when a problem surfaces, even more complicated solutions.  When all goes to shit go back to basics, sure it may take longer then aero cloners, but it works right?  Once you get the easy method down go back to the hydro stuff and see if you can't get it to work too.  Nothing wrong with expanding your horizons and trying/experimenting with new things.  Don't let yourself get stagnant, but when you're in trouble think simple and often times you'll pull through with no problems.

Thank you for your kind words as well :smile:

--------------------

Offlinemarrbellade
Stranger

#347127 - 01/13/10 04:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

question on the prep...............
do you saturate the peat pelllets, or squeeze the excess water out?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #347131 - 01/13/10 04:52 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't squeeze the water out.  I hydrate them, then pop the clone in.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds