Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ????
    #336981 - 12/27/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i have a 3 x 4.5 x 7 grow tent with a 400w HPS set up in there.

i just bought a 6" Vortex inline fan and speed controller yesterday and hooked it up. i closed the tent up with a fan (not one that moves) inside on a box to blow air around. its pointed at the light and on the other side of the light i have the ducting coming down to about where the light it.

i tried the fan on all speed and the only speed that works was full speed, so now i have a speedster fan controller for no reason. other than to get the fan to reach to plug in...

with the tent all the way zipped up, and the fans on, the temp gets up to about 85 degrees. what can i do to fix this?

i think an oscillating fan would probably do a better job to move air around... that could be it. but you would think that a fan rated at 449 cfm (or 452 cfm like the box says for some reason) would be able to cool off a 94.5 cf grow tent...

what do you guys think?

the ducting is now taped to the reflector, so im hoping it pulls the hot air from the light out of the tent... idk what to do here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: Pilze]
    #336982 - 12/27/09 10:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

where are you venting too? if you're just pulling the air out of the tent and exhausting it into the room the tent is in then nothing is being accomplished. the air going into the tent is even more important IMO than the air being blown out. you need cool intake air, and then everything will be completely :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #336985 - 12/27/09 10:36 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

word. ill sit here, smoke my last fucking bowl of green crack :crankey: then go and think of how i can rearrange everythin and give it a shot. :vaped:

i had one of the bottom ports open and a fan blowing air in, but thats the fan i have in there right now since i dont have one that oscillates. guess ill redo the ducting, then run by the store and grab an oscillating fan, put that in there, and put the other fan back where it was blowing air into the tent.

that sounds like it should work. the exhaust goes straight up out of the tent a few inches from the ceiling. guess i didnt think about where that air was going... :facepalm:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: Pilze]
    #336991 - 12/27/09 11:13 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yeah you definitely need to get that old air completely out of the room. or at the very least, have the intake air come directly from another room

--------------------

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #337025 - 12/27/09 12:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
yeah you definitely need to get that old air completely out of the room. or at the very least, have the intake air come directly from another room

just ran to the store and bought some ducting i can use for the intake. it goes in the AC/Heat vent then turns into a 6" round opening. im going to hook that up. that way, the only intake will be fresh air (or fresher than before) and the exhaust will just mix up throughout the house, and ill just keep my fan running all the time to get air flow going throughout my place. and its fairly small...

im gonna try to put this shit together. ill post pics later if it works... im sure it will though :smile:

OfflineTomCollins

#337031 - 12/27/09 12:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

It's sucking air out yeah? It's hooked up to the flange on the light? Still no noticeable decrease in temps? What are the temperatures of the outside room?

When I hooked up my fan, my temperature drop was amazing. As you can see, I don't vent to outside or another room. The room the closet is in, is however, well ventilated.

Make sure air is getting into your tent somehow.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (12/27/09 12:53 PM)

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: TomCollins]
    #337068 - 12/27/09 01:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a simple example of how to setup a room with proper ventilation.  Try and adapt it to your growing area.

A.) Cool air is drawn into the room from the outer room.  This can be done with a passive intake (no fan) or an active one (some type of fan pulling or pushing air in).

B.) Cool air is also drawn in from the out side room.  This is done by hooking up a fan to either push or pull the air through your vented hood.  Pulled is recommended so it would be best to put your fan towards the "C" side of the setup.

C.) The hot air from your light is vented outside of the cabinet.  This is best done if you can vent the air into another space besides the outer room of your grow area.  If you can cut into the ceiling or wall to vent into another room such as an attic, you'll keep the overall ambient temps of the outer room down which will keep temps lower in your grow cab.

D.) You'll also need a way to exhaust the stale air from your cabinet.  Keep in mind that this air will need to be scrubbed if you're worried about smell, if not just a fan will do.  You want this fan to pull air from the middle to the top of your cabinet as warm air rises.  This should also be vented out to something like an attic to keep temps down.

This is not the only way to set up your cabinet.  Hopefully it will help you understand how airflow should work in a cabinet.  Just think fresh in at the bottom, hot stale out the top when working out your ducting and fan placement.

That's my setup right there.  I bring cool air in at the bottom using a small squirrel cage fan which is placed outside the room, then i suck air from the middle of the cabinet through a can filter using an inline fan.  Finally I push this air through my cool tube and then finally out the top of the cabinet.  My temps sit right around 80 presently.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflinePilze
Funky Monk

Re: just hooked up an inline fan - no drop in temp in the tent - ???? [Re: TomCollins]
    #337092 - 12/27/09 01:33 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
It's sucking air out yeah? It's hooked up to the flange on the light? Still no noticeable decrease in temps? What are the temperatures of the outside room?

When I hooked up my fan, my temperature drop was amazing. As you can see, I don't vent to outside or another room. The room the closet is in, is however, well ventilated.

Make sure air is getting into your tent somehow.

yes, the inline fan is sucking air from the tent and blowing it outside into the room the tent is in.

now, what i just did was went to the hardware store and bought a little fitting for the air duct in the room, attatched the ducting to it, and put it into the bottom hold in the tent. inside is still the same, theres a fan blowing air around, not oscillating. and the inline is sucking air up from the light. its just taped to the side.

i have a cheap reflector, its not one that has 2 6" ports on each side to cool the reflector. this one has only 1 4" hole for that, not 2. it doesnt have the glass for the bottom or the flange, so im goin with what i got.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck