Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Thick, narrow, twisting leaves...
    #328473 - 12/08/09 04:59 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?                                  Seed
2. How old are your plants?                                                    5 weeks weeks
3. How tall are your plants?                                                    8 inches
4. What size containers are they planted in?                            4" square plastic
5. What is your soil mix?                                                        Perlite/sphagnum
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? De-chlorinated tap, about twice a week
7. What is the pH of your water?                                            Unknown
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio?  Schultz 10/15/10 and superthrive
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?          No
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? 150w combined CFL
11. How close are your lights to the plants?                              <1 1/2 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet?                      40 sq ft.  (Small room)
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?  75F, 40-60% RH
14. What is the pH of the soil?                                                Unknown
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?    None
16. How much experience do you have growing?                      None

Okay... So, I don't have a pic, which would be worth a lot for this one, but I'll do my best to describe my leaves...And if you guys really force me to I can probably squeeze a crappy pic out of what my batteries have left on the cam...

These leaves are thick. 
The veins are sunken maybe 1mm or more inbetween the speed bumps that are the tissue.
The blades of the fan leaves are narrow, skinny and long.
They look heavy and depressed, not reaching for the light at all.
The blades are also twisting quite a bit, some of them almost upside down.
They may resemble the "claw" leaf, but I can't remember what that's all about,
Oh yeah, the search function is acting up which kinda inspired this thread... a search for 'weed' with no filters had 0 hits...

Could the twisting be from side lighting?

The plants are in desperate need of a bigger pot, but I'm not sure how that could be related.
I dunno guys, I'm open to suggestion.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJim
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: DudeTron]
    #328478 - 12/08/09 06:05 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

DudeTron said:
The plants are in desperate need of a bigger pot, but I'm not sure how that could be related.
I dunno guys, I'm open to suggestion.

I'm no expert but this is what I'de be concerned about. Sounds like the plant is perfectly ready for it's "Final Big Home"!:laugh: If it's root bound already - maybe gently tease the roots when transplanting (use current soil that it's in + more around outside if it's a larger home.

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: Jim]
    #328516 - 12/08/09 02:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Why do soil growers using synthetic nutes still refuse to get pH testers? 
You need one. Even the paper strips are better than nothing!
Take a picture, even if its shitty we can figure out what we're looking at.
Are the leaves "clawing" "taco-ing" or twisting?
This could be a pH issue, nute burn, or even nute lock-out from a pH issue.  There's no telling without 1)knowing the pH, and 2)seeing the plant.
Also, is your mix JUST perlite and sphagnum?  That peat becomes seriously acidic over time, so that in conjunction with your Schultz nutes might be the culprit right there.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: 81renaissance]
    #328520 - 12/08/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Great blind-diagnosis Ren.

I'd say you pretty much covered what I would say.  I have a high ph tap water source (8.0) and use a lot of peat, I think it must balance out somewhat because I haven't seen any problems with ph-related issues which is what I would say your problem "probably" is.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: Inverted]
    #328521 - 12/08/09 02:44 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

BTW pick up some aquarium PH test strips, they are accurate to .2 or .3 which is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all.  It made a difference in my growth rates for sure.  Try using distilled water for a week also, as this fixed my initial PH problem.

--------------------

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328602 - 12/08/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I'm amazed at how many people who are posting problems with their plants on here have absolutely no clue what their pH is.  Mind boggling.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #328610 - 12/08/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know, it's the root cause for the majority of issues if you ask me, either that or there's the guy that waters everyday and loads them with Miracle Grow until they die because they think it'll give them massive buds!

Fucking newbs are getting annoying, yet i'll continue to help them because I feel so bad for em'

--------------------

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #328613 - 12/08/09 07:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I know how you feel.  I don't understand the miracle grow thing, or the fact of how many people do absolutely no research whatsoever before they get into a hobby.  Fuck I don't even use Miracle Grow on my actual vegetable garden.  I would much rather use foxfarm or the like on it.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #328810 - 12/09/09 09:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

If soil then all organic and experience make for happy plants.  Schultz 10-15-10 will be problematic for weed.  Home Depot sells fish emulsion at 5-1-1 that is about $8 for a good size bottle, will last any indoor grower a long time, works well with peat/perlite combo, but your initial soil needed additives as well for humus creation environment to help or even auto balance the PH.  Worm castings are ideal to be mixed in at 1-2 TBspoon per 8" to 10" pot along with bone meal and other minerals if you can afford to buy a mix like a volcano mineral mix.

A plant is only going to drink and eat what it can handle.  You cannot push or force them to drink and eat more than they want.  This is where the concepts of over-watering and over-feeding have come from.  And in my experience, plants recover from under feeding and under watering from easier than the reverse.

PICS!!!

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
Re: Thick, narrow, twisting leaves... [Re: Azyle00]
    #329246 - 12/10/09 07:32 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Alright guys...

I've spent <$20.00 on this grow.  I lost my job days after I germed these beans. 

In the meantime I've logged easily over 100 hours reading about growing pot.  I've also had a couple plants going in the background which has helped alot and I've learned way more than I would have otherwise.

Anyway, yeah dudes my PH is trashed but it's been fucked in a stable kind of way and growth has outpaced lockout issues.

I didn't think this problem had to do with PH and I haven't come across this issue that I can recall...

Anyway, I have fucking pics finally.

Thick tissue, dense and narrow bladed, heavy looking

Notice the old growth alongside the new growth... Flat normal leaves vs. the others

Very curly growth.  Look to the bottom-center baby leaves.  Also that fan on the left that seems to have endured the sudden change.

Anyway dudes, I get my first real paycheck at my new job tomorrow and will be buying a test kit, nutes, 250w HPS, and hopefully a fan... probably way too much other misc. shit too. So booya... hehe

Thanks for puttin up with this noob, and for any help with my little ones.

~DT  :gethigh:

User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #329449 - 12/10/09 06:09 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I really think that you are more than likely dealing with a mix of pH imbalances along with toxic salt build up. 

You can not "out pace" nutrient lock out.  If your pH is off certain nutrients end up binding to each other and become unavailable to your plant.  There is no way around this nor will your plants out grow it. 

I hope with your new supplies that you can determine for sure what is going on.  Good luck man, and keep us up to date.

--------------------

-niteowl

OfflineDudeTron
 User Gallery
    #329700 - 12/11/09 06:10 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

So what kind of PH test would you guys recommend?

What's ideal, and what's the best value/affordable?

Also, what line of nutes do you guys recommend for a bagseed soiless grow?
I was looking at maybe Flora or humboldt... seems like I've seen people use them and they're reasonably priced...

Should I try to go organic?

lol, help me spend like 50 bucks at the hydro store tomorrow.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #329948 - 12/11/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Flora Nova series for nutes, litmus strips or a dropper test kit for your PH.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies