Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

DON'T TOUCH THAT!!
    #312164 - 11/08/09 04:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys,

I have some concerns regarding the light and it's proximity to the plants.

I move the light up a little everyday, and the girls just keep reaching up to it. Really fast too. Yesterday, I pulled the light up and spaced it so these girls right under the light had a good 6" between them and the bulb. Now there's about 3-4". I really would like my plants to get more bushier horizontally. These damn sativa plants are such a pain... I wish they could be like my two skunk plants.

Should I just stop moving the light up and only move it when they're literally about to touch the bulb?

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: TomCollins]
    #312168 - 11/08/09 04:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Keep moving it up. That's just how the sativas will be. And your's looks pretty sativa dominant.

It's not a bad stretch like if there was a very distant light with not much penetrating the plant.

If you have another similar plant to that one compare them. If one is noticeably more stretched then the other, chances it'll be a male.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days
It's all a bunch of fucking bribble!

OfflineTomCollins

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: Snurry]
    #312169 - 11/08/09 04:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Those three you see there are haze plants. 100% sativa.

They don't look too heavily stretched do they? Here's a full shot of the setup:

2 on the left Haze, then the short stubby fellow is skunk, 3 thereafter are haze again and that last short little guy is a skunk again.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (11/08/09 04:53 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #312170 - 11/08/09 04:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You could also start to train them to become bushier, there a little big to start doing it.  But if your gentle you should be able to get the tips to bend and train them in more lateral directions.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

InvisibleTriptonic
Male

#312174 - 11/08/09 05:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If you are worried about heat a good tip is to put your hand on the top of your plant. If its really hot move your lights up. If its not to hot you are good.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: Triptonic]
    #312177 - 11/08/09 05:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well it's not the heat I'm worried about. The plants are fairly well ventilated, and the temperature is really nice and cool in the closet. But according to this nice little HPS chart I saw a little while ago on here, any closer than 6" to the plant is "too close." I'm not 100% sure what that means, but I'm guess it's just not good for the plants.

Truthfully though, I don't mind tall plants, but can my light support tall plants?

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (11/08/09 05:54 AM)

InvisibleHawksresurrection
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #312178 - 11/08/09 05:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

IF you want a sativa to grow out more i.e. bushier, your going to have to train it. 

The only thing you have to worry about with your plants getting too close to the bulb is heat.  I'm assuming your doing a smaller wattage HPS like 250-400 so the heat shouldn't too big of a problem.  But just to be safe I would put a your thermometer a the height of your canopy and see what those temps are reading at, there is usually a big difference from your ambient room temperature to 4-6 inches from your bulb.

--------------------
Dude she isn't as young as she use to be.

-niteowl

OfflineTomCollins

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #312182 - 11/08/09 06:41 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Oh I realize that, I do keep a thermometer on top of one of the plants (not in the picture) however, it's quite a bit shorter than the others. I'll move the thermometer t the plant closest to the bulb. I'll move the light up a bit. I'd try and tie them down, but I'm just too scared of damaging them. Tying the branches up to the stem, is nerve wrecking for me by itself. Like I said, I don't mind tall plants.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #312192 - 11/08/09 08:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

cannabis is a hardy plant, you can be pretty rough with them and they'll bounce back pretty quickly.  Stalks will snap if they're too thick and inflexible, but if you take your time you can coax the bigger branches down to promote a more even canopy.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: Hawksresurrection]
    #312197 - 11/08/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hawksapprentice said:
You could also start to train them to become bushier, there a little big to start doing it.  But if your gentle you should be able to get the tips to bend and train them in more lateral directions.

Definitely the way to go, training or tying down is about the best thing you can do for your plant indoors or outdoors.

Those three you see there are haze plants. 100% sativa.

Quote:

Spency said:
They don't look too heavily stretched do they? Here's a full shot of the setup:

They look perfectly fine to me. I'd be removing a lot of those shade leaves though to let light penetrate below. Don't worry about removing shade leaves either; you can strip them bare of any, and the mid-bottom branches will love you for it.

I'd say you have as good a chance as any of them turning female as you can tell pre-flower. Males tend to grow faster, and taller than females, but much more stretched from node-to-node.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #312244 - 11/08/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Kinda read through the thread and didn't see any one mention topping your plants to get your side shoots to grow a little more. This would also give your plant 2 or more tops/branches from center stalk. It can be a little stressful on the plant, but i have had some good success with topping. More bud sites, imo.  You could maximize this by tying them over and exposing the lower shoots to more direct light.

Just a thought!  And they are looking good by the way! :thumbup:

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #312404 - 11/08/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
Kinda read through the thread and didn't see any one mention topping your plants to get your side shoots to grow a little more. This would also give your plant 2 or more tops/branches from center stalk. It can be a little stressful on the plant, but i have had some good success with topping. More bud sites, imo.  You could maximize this by tying them over and exposing the lower shoots to more direct light.

I've thought about it, I saw how furrowedbrow did it and I thought it was very cool. I want to do it, but at this point I don't want to stress my plants at all. I'm terrified of them all becoming male. It's like a reoccurring nightmare I keep having. Do you think I could get away with it? At that height too? I got a hook on the back wall there that I could

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:
And they are looking good by the way! :thumbup:

OMG! Thank you, you have no idea what a relief it is to hear that from some one on here. No one ever comments in my grow log, so I'm always very much in the dark as to what people think of my plants. Thanks again.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #312411 - 11/08/09 03:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Stress at this point may be a factor. You said your in flowering now?

This is just from my experience, so....take with a grain of salt!

I have topped my plants about a week before i began flowering. I have never tried it once the flowering had begun. Topping seems to stunt growth for about a week so that may be too much stress with the reduction of light already.

I think training would be your best bet at this point!  This way the side shoots have more light coverage and can grow upwards to the light basically turning every branch into a top. Being yours are at a good height already, this must be done slowly over a period of a couple days,so not to break anything.

I usually do not get to fancy with my grows. Topping and tying down is about as extravagant as i get.

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#312430 - 11/08/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Flowering? Oh man I wish I was. No, I'm in the middle of my third week of veg. :-P

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

#312439 - 11/08/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SpaceMonkey said:

Just a thought!  And they are looking good by the way! :thumbup:

Have you had un-topped branches to compare with?
Assuming you did, was there much difference in growth rate?

I've topped one main offshoot on my plant this year to compare it with the rest of the branches. But I was under the assumption it slowed growth quite a bit. Though I did top mine about 8 weeks into veg, not 4 weeks from flowering.

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days

OfflineTomCollins

#313030 - 11/09/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I don't think you do that for the purpose of slowing growth down.

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #313048 - 11/09/09 10:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I did have Snurry! And yes, On the topped ones the side shoots were growing way faster then the side shoots of the untopped ones!  I think what happens is, the plant is designed/programmed to grow towards the light. By taking the top off the main stem, the plant reacts by sending the other branches towards he sun. Usually tho, your top grows back with 2 new shoots and continues its journey towards the sun. And i believe that the plant has now oriented itself to grow the branches and they become the primary growth and now the top becomes secondary like the branches were. And therefor keeping your plant bushy instead of tall.

Of course like i said this is my opinion, gathered from years of experience and has no scientific properties what so ever. These are things i have noticed and am now trying to put them into words.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #313212 - 11/09/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I did have Snurry!

I'll take two bowls and an oz to go of whatever you're smoking, please :wink:

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleSnurry
Cunt
Male

Re: DON'T TOUCH THAT!! [Re: coda]
    #313233 - 11/09/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
Quote:

I did have Snurry!

I'll take two bowls and an oz to go of whatever you're smoking, please :wink:

Haha me too.

That does make a lot of sense though. Topping the mainstem at least seems to be a good idea, especially if they're tied down.

But what about topping the the side shoots? Have you tried that to see if it's worth it?

--------------------
--->
200/~218 Days

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #313258 - 11/09/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If you have lots of time to veg!

I have done this a few times with out much success,  due to grow time.

i do believe that plants topped to much have a really high chance of going hermie. It can panic the plant into thinking it is not going to finish  and then produce both make and female parts to ensure propagation.

I have never tried this indoor since i do all mine outdoors.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck