Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTomCollins

Adding Calcium and Magnesium
    #301212 - 10/21/09 04:10 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hi There,

I was recently watching a video on youtube about hydroponic solutions, and the guy doing it said in addition to using "Grow," "Bloom," and "Micro" solutions, he also dropped in dietary supplement tablets containing calcium and magnesium. So my first thought was "Oh, my guys could probably do with some as well."

So anyway, I have this stuff at home and was wondering if it would be beneficial and if so how much should I add?

Right now I'm using the "Advanced Hydroponics of Holland" stack, and Big Bud as well.

--------------------
andyistic said:
Ok so let me bring you idiots up to speed.
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMasterHerbalist
MH:Jahsun
Male User Gallery

Loc: middle a
Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: TomCollins]
    #301213 - 10/21/09 06:55 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't eat those pills either so go ahead and try to compost em. You should know you will have to do some without and some with so you'll know the results. Take pics!

In response to the amount, I would guess you would want about 5-20 pills crushed throughout the soil or 5 crushed per gallon.

If the correct micro and macro nutes will be used by the plant I sort of doubt but that is my non-informed opinion.

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: MasterHerbalist]
    #301216 - 10/21/09 07:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hopefully this won't kill the plants. Unfortunately, I can't do two test groups, but I figure I will notice a significant change, good or bad....

Pics just before I poured the new solution in.

--------------------
andyistic said:
The admins are tired of this shitfest being made the joke of the weed community on the Internet.

Edited by TomCollins (10/21/09 07:36 AM)

OfflineTomCollins

#301325 - 10/21/09 01:54 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Alright, 6 hours later and they're still kicking. I guess that's a good sign.

The water is very murky now though. I cannot see the pump in the water. I also added some urine and 3 extra liters of water.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Offlinethe man

#302055 - 10/22/09 08:48 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

urine promotes bacterial growth.. not sure how that does in a hydro set.

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: the man]
    #302106 - 10/22/09 09:58 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

wow man, that is so completely wrong it makes me hurt. please refrain from telling people to pee on their plants, Urine is sterile first of all, and secondly, it has tremendous issues with solute concentrations that can be immensely lethal to your plants if your diet the couple days before was poor enough

--------------------

Offlinejrjr54321
 User Gallery

#302312 - 10/23/09 02:36 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Spency said:
Hopefully this won't kill the plants. Unfortunately, I can't do two test groups, but I figure I will notice a significant change, good or bad....

Quote:

Spency said:

The water is very murky now though. I cannot see the pump in the water. I also added some urine and 3 extra liters of water.

:facepalm:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: jrjr54321]
    #302329 - 10/23/09 07:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

jrjr54321 said:
Quote:

Spency said:

Quote:

Spency said:

:facepalm:

Was that a bad idea? Other than the murkiness though, I've only seen improvement in the plants. I have a feeling that's more of a result of the PH calibrating I've been doing since yesterday.

In any case, I'm not sure the extra calcium and magnesium helped in any way but the plants are growing well.

--------------------
andyistic said:

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #302338 - 10/23/09 08:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

did you seriously just fucking pee in your hydro reservoir? why in the motherfucking fuck of fuckerlot would you do that?

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #302500 - 10/23/09 01:46 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Well, I added 200ml of urine, only because I read it really boosts nitrogen levels, which I discovered my Advanced hydroponics of Holland stack is a little on the low side.

I didn't think it would be an issue considering that the cultivation guide on the site suggests adding urine to the nutrient solution. Should I flush the system?

--------------------
andyistic said:

OfflineTomCollins

#302919 - 10/24/09 08:13 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Al
Quote:

Harry_Ba11sach said:
wow man, that is so completely wrong it makes me hurt. please refrain from telling people to pee on their plants, Urine is sterile first of all, and secondly, it has tremendous issues with solute concentrations that can be immensely lethal to your plants if your diet the couple days before was poor enough

Wow I don't know how I missed this, but I just saw this post today. I'm doing an immediate flush right now.

-Edit-

Total Flush complete.

-Edit-Edit-

Yeah, totally cleaned the system. Washed all the tubes, scrubbed the rez, and even cleaned the inside of the flood chamber. All the plants were flushed with clean water too before being put back in. The system is now only using the AHOH stack, Big Bud and clean water. :-)

Sorry about everything guys. Thanks for your help though.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (10/24/09 10:24 AM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Loc: CANADA
    #303090 - 10/24/09 02:47 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Sorry Spency but I am laughing so hard on multiple levels now...mostly because of Harry's comments...too funny dude.

I gotta throw in my two cents...why in the hell did you add pee to your plants water...lol.

Anyone who told you to do that should be pissed on...lol.  If you need to boost N levels, do it the proper way...with Nutes.

"I didn't think it would be an issue considering that the cultivation guide on the site suggests adding urine to the nutrient solution"

Really?  Do you have a link to this guide that says to do this?

Also, doing something and waiting 6 hours for results...well sometimes it can take days before you see results.  Although I always find that positive results take days to appear...damage happens so fast it makes you want to cry and vomit.

"did you seriously just fucking pee in your hydro reservoir? why in the motherfucking fuck of fuckerlot would you do that?" - Hahaha...love it...I am laughing so hard I am crying...time to get high.

--------------------
"I never post unless high.  Well that does explain a lot then."

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Starting your first GROW, things you should ask/answer before you do

Current Grow Journal

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: Azyle00]
    #303102 - 10/24/09 03:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Sorry Spency but I am laughing so hard on multiple levels now...mostly because of Harry's comments...too funny dude.

I gotta throw in my two cents...why in the hell did you add pee to your plants water...lol.

Anyone who told you to do that should be pissed on...lol.  If you need to boost N levels, do it the proper way...with Nutes.

"I didn't think it would be an issue considering that the cultivation guide on the site suggests adding urine to the nutrient solution"

Really?  Do you have a link to this guide that says to do this?

Before trying to make me look stupid, you should read the cultivation guides on this site. There's only 1 really.

http://www.growery.org/2796/Cannabis-growing-guide

Scroll down to Vegatative Growth. If you don't want to, here's a direct extract from it:

"HYDROPONIC VEGATATIVE SOLUTION, per gallon:

Miracle Grow Patio (contains trace elements) 1 teaspoon

Epsom salts 1/2 teaspoon

Human Urine (OPTIONAL - may create odors indoors.) 1/4 cup

Oxygen Plus Plant Food (OPTIONAL) 1 teaspoon"

That's a lot of urine imo. Much more than I actually added.

Here is where I got the original idea:
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/hydroponics/1427-better-tomatoes-urine.html

A guy said he just took a leak in the system and saw massive improvements. I only added 200ml just to test it out myself.

Also heres some stuff I just pulled off of google:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydro/msg0112194811411.html
http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-use-urine-as-a-fertilizer (I think this article said something about NASA using urine in their hydroponic systems)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Also, doing something and waiting 6 hours for results...well sometimes it can take days before you see results.  Although I always find that positive results take days to appear...damage happens so fast it makes you want to cry and vomit.

That's my experience as well. My exact word were, "6 hours and they are still kicking." To clarify, what I meant by kicking is not dying. Also, I had the system running this solution for several days and actually noticed an acceleration in growth - I took measurements of the plants as well as general notes about appearance each morning and night. I was very impressed. However, I am not advocating adding urine to the reservoir - in fact I think this acceleration was more of a result of the PH calibrations I've been doing using Organic PH Buffers. However, I did not see any hindrance; only improvement - with the urine in the system. If you like, I can post pictures of the plants. I only just flushed the system 6 hours ago, so certainly they could not have improved in that time right?

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
"did you seriously just fucking pee in your hydro reservoir? why in the motherfucking fuck of fuckerlot would you do that?" - Hahaha...love it...I am laughing so hard I am crying...time to get high.

I'm glad your amused, and I admittedly found that particular post funny too. However, I hope it's clear now that I did this with somewhat of a foundation.

I respect you a lot Azyle00, you've been really helping me and giving me some solid advice regarding my vent system. I like feedback, and advice - it's how I learn and improve, but I found it hard to derive any sort of useful information from your "2 cents." It seems to me that you just came here to beat me down, when I'm already on the ground. So, I'm sorry if I came off a bit harsh in this post - but I wasn't quite sure how else to respond to you.

So I hope there are no hard feelings and I hope everything is clearer now. :heart:

Edited by TomCollins (10/24/09 04:01 PM)

InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #303133 - 10/24/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

well it does seem to me that you at least did your research in this case, which IMO puts you miles ahead of some of the n00bz I've seen around the web. That said, the vast majority of food humans consume is so artificial and nutrient-poor that it's downright toxic for most plants. If you're a health nut vegan, then you may witness some different results, but I can guarantee 100% that if you eat fast food on a regular basis your poop will NEVER turn into manure for fertilizing

--------------------

OfflineTomCollins

#303137 - 10/24/09 04:03 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

As it just so happens to be I'm an organic food nut and a vegetarian. I couldn't say I'm healthy (smoker) but what I eat is. Haven't eaten anything close to fast food in a couple of years now. Beer and wine might be a problem.... :tongue:

Anyway, let's close the lid on this. This system was emptied, scrubbed down and refilled and now only has the AHOH nutes and big bud in it. Again I don't actually know if the urine helped, but It took me about 3 and a half hours to clean my thing up, so believe me, I'm not willing to do another urine experiment.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (10/24/09 04:10 PM)

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

#303176 - 10/24/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Nonono...you overreact, I just found the whole thread quite amusing, whether right or wrong.  Not at all attacking or saying you personally are an idiot or anything like that (which is why I wanted a link to where you got the info), and honestly read what I posted...in no way do I say anything to put you down.

Never ever have I personally heard about human urine being used to feed/aid plants.  I still do not believe it, despite it being in that guide and I think the "Optional" was a good clue that perhaps it is iffy.  Never read the goodle stuff you linked yet, maybe there is some validity to it...so I stated my opinion, asked my question of your source and laughed hard over Harry's comments and the whole situation.

But you were too harsh and now I am not laughing...I am crying and my feelings are hurt badly...just kidding :smile:

I would be concerned about your urine being bad for the plants because you smoke?  Cigs?  Nicotine is poison to weed plants.  However, if you are a health nut then maybe you could produce the urine that this guide had suggested, but Harry is right, the average human diet would make both urine and feces from said human not productive and likely harmful.

If you were truly posting like a complete noob incapable of doing some research, I would not even post answers, but I can tell you are intelligent enough to figure out things and research etc.  HB is correct that a lot of the noobs here post shit that places your knowledge miles ahead of them.

Remember to clean those hands of nicotine before you touch the plants though if your a cig smoker.

--------------------

"The best part about going to sleep each night is knowing that my plants will have grown more when I wake up in the morning."

"I smoked it then I became so tired that my eyes shut down automatically without my consent" - My Chinese GF, Oct 23, 2009 :smile:

Current Grow Journal

OfflineAzyle00
Captain Canada
Male

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: Azyle00]
    #303179 - 10/24/09 05:38 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hrm...read those threads over and I can honestly say they do not convince me at all that there is sufficient evidence for this to be valid...even read the part where the urine is supposed to sit for 6 months before being used.

It is experimental and controversial and imho if that is the case for a theory...it makes great for an experiment...but not worth the risk with your babies.

Again...you were reading a guide on this site that actually indicated that Urine was a realistic additive...whether the guide is right or wrong...we tend to hope and believe that these guides on Growery are fine to follow and contain true and tried methods and information.

Completely understand why you did it :smile:

--------------------

Current Grow Journal

OfflineSpaceMonkey
Mind Pilot
Male

Loc: Hawaiian Islands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #303185 - 10/24/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Congrats on doing your homework Spency :thumbup:

We all enjoy when members post links to references!
You took an educated guess by what you read, it just so happens that is not such good advice. :shrug: But you corrected the problem and now learned something. Patients is definitley a virtue when it comes to message boards such as this. Good advice sometimes takes hours to days. Research like you did is the way i go while i'm waiting for some answers. Then use both to accomplish what i set out to do!

--------------------

:guns: Don't Mistake My Kindness For Weakness :guns:

Offlinethe man

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: SpaceMonkey]
    #303238 - 10/24/09 07:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

sterile at first but promotes bacterial growth. why do you think 20 min old piss stinks worse then fresh pee?  and in survival you never store piss you have to drink it right away because of that. not sure if that comes in to play in a hydro set like i said. :smile:

OfflineTomCollins

Re: Adding Calcium and Magnesium [Re: the man]
    #303519 - 10/25/09 10:27 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Azyle00 said:
Nonono...you overreact, I just found the whole thread quite amusing, whether right or wrong.  Not at all attacking or saying you personally are an idiot or anything like that (which is why I wanted a link to where you got the info), and honestly read what I posted...in no way do I say anything to put you down.

Oh sorry, my misunderstanding.

It came off that you were taking the stance that my actions were absolutely wrong and beyond justification, mainly because you said this:

Quote:

Azyle00 said:I gotta throw in my two cents...why in the hell did you add pee to your plants water...lol.

Anyone who told you to do that should be pissed on...lol.

So sorry for over reacting. :smile:

Quote:

the man said:
sterile at first but promotes bacterial growth. why do you think 20 min old piss stinks worse then fresh pee?

That's not actually true. Urine is actually loaded with nitrogen (ammonia Nitrogen to be specific), when exposed to our atmosphere I think the nitrogen slowly leaves the urine and leaves behind ammonia. This is actually where the smell comes from. I really don't think urine promotes bacterial growth. Also, I'm fairly certain ammonia by itself is incredibly toxic so if anything it would kill bacteria - that's just a guess. I think that's also why people say to pee on an open wound if you need to sterilize it but don't have anything else to do it with - this would seem counter productive if urine promoted bacterial growth, and I'm pretty sure it's fact that it works as a makeshift sterilizer.

I've been reading more about urine being used as a fertilizer. Apparently, it's an excellent fertilizer if it's used near immediately and heavily diluted with water. One guide said the ratio of urine to clean water should be about 1:5. The reason it should be used immediately is because the nitrogen leaves the urine quite fast.

I would think urine would be an excellent soil additive, as the ammonia left behind would eventually be washed away anyway - however, hydroponically, I'm not sure it would be as beneficial because of the lingering ammonia that would circulate the system.

In any case, I now fully realize how unbelievably sensitive pot plants are. So while a hardy plant like a tomato plant would be able to tank the ammonia and actually benefit from the nitrogen, pot plants may not be able withstand the ammonia as effectively.

--------------------
andyistic said:

Edited by TomCollins (10/25/09 10:49 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate