Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
How about some extra input from you guys?
    #283433 - 09/20/09 06:18 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So, lets kick off this forum with a good thread and get some discussion going.

I'm planning on ditching my hydro hut and buying a cabinet to do my grows in.  Smaller living area dictates i need a smaller grow room.  I would post up a link to the cabinet I'm buying, but apparently lowes website is a bit fucked up right now.

Basically its going to be a 4 ft wide 2ft deep 5-6 ft tall cabinet.  My plans are to cut out a 6 inch hole in the one of the walls to exhaust hot air.  Right now I have a 4 in (maybe 6 in can't remember right now) inline fan rated at i believe 256 cfm.  This is all well and good to pull the heat off of my 600 watt HPS, but, what do you guys think would be the best solution for air intake?

Remember there is limited room in this cabinet as i want to stick at least 4-5 plants in at least 3 gallon containers.  I'm also trying to make this look as inconspicuous as possible (yes i know i have a hole cut out on the side, but there's no fan sticking out of it).  I was thinking of just going with a passive air intake system, but with the size of the cabinet and the amount of heat produced by my lamp, i think i'm going to need something a little extra to help exchange air and keep the temps cool.  I do have a spare 4 inch squirrel cage fan lying around, but it's pretty big and if i used it, i'd have to leave it on the inside.

So lets have it, what do you guys think i should do?  As soon as i can i'll post up some pictures of the cab i plan on buying if that will help.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarry_Ba11sachM
cannoisseur
 User Gallery

Loc: Nepal Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How about some extra input from you guys? [Re: coda]
    #283808 - 09/21/09 08:51 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I personally really like having the fresh air come in from the floor and get exhausted out the top. this way you get a nice linear airflow through your grow space with all the fresh air passing over your plants on it's way up and out. I tend to get nice dense buds this way because of the constant stream of air passing over the plants

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: How about some extra input from you guys? [Re: Harry_Ba11sach]
    #283862 - 09/21/09 12:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm with Harry, intake through the bottom, exhaust through top. If you cut your hole in the roof of the cab, it'd be less conspicuous, too. You could put a cardboard box over the hole, either to house your fan or just to raise the hole higher to keep noseys from getting up on tip toes and feeling warm air streaming out.

I think you'll be fine with passive intake, 250 cfm seems like plenty. Could always do a cycle with lights on, measure temperatures before installing a second fan.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How about some extra input from you guys? [Re: God]
    #284012 - 09/21/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yah, i was definitely planning on doing a dry run.  Leave the lights on for 12 hours or so while im at work and leave a digital thermometer in there.  I have one that keeps track of max and min temps so it should give me an idea of how hot it gets in there.  I always run my light cycle at night and the weather is cooling here, so I should be ok.  I'm hoping to hang my fan on the inside of the cabinet, but that box idea sounds kinda nifty.  Would free up some space and make it less of a hassle to hang.

How many holes and what size?  I was thinking 4 in the corners and maybe two across the middle of the 1/2 inch variety.  Maybe even install a few PC fans on the underside of the cab to move the air a bit quicker.

--------------------

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

Re: How about some extra input from you guys? [Re: coda]
    #284795 - 09/22/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If using a 4" fan, you have 12.5 in2; with 6", 28 in2. So you'll need that much +10% or more intake area. If you're using half-inch round holes, you'll need 67 of them for the 4" fan or 144 for the 6". Probably won't work.

However, simply cutting 2 slits the depth of your cabinet by 1" will give you 48 in2 intake, which should be plenty, and much easier to baffle. There are other ways to do it, if you're not up for that.

InvisibleGod
Yahweh

#284796 - 09/22/09 05:17 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This may help more than me :wink:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #285356 - 09/23/09 07:12 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yep the more i read about proper cabinet design the more I believe I'm going to rig up that small squirrel cage fan and use that for air exchange.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds