Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Green Vein Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O
    #262962 - 08/10/09 07:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?  SEED.

2. How old are your plants? ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF

3. How tall are your plants? ABOUT 2-3 FEET TALL.

4. What size containers are they planted in?  THIS ONE IS A 1.66 GALLON CONTAINER.

5. What is your soil mix? STARTED WITH MIRACLE GROW WITH A HIGH NITRO CONTENT. SINCE HAVE TRANSPLANTED TO NON ENRICHED POTTING SOIL WITH OWN NUTES.

6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? I WATER WHEN THE SOIL IS DRY ABOUT AN INCH OR MORE DOWN AND THE POT FEELS REALLY LIGHT.

7. What is the pH of your water? UNKNOWN.  NO PH TESTER. I HAVE GONE ALL AROUND TOWN LOOKING FOR PH STRIPS. I USE DISTILLED WATER NOW.

8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? SOIL I STARTED WITH AND HAD FOR ALMOST A MONTH WAS MIRACLE GROW 3 MONTH MIX, TRANSPLANTED TO UNFERTILIZED POTTING SOIL. LET GO A LITTLE WHILE WITHOUT NUTES AS I KNOW THE MIRACLE GROW SOIL IS STILL BUNDLED IN THE ROOTS GIVING NUTES.  I JUST FED THEM THE FIRST 1/4 STRENGTH BLOOMING NUTES A WEEK AGO. SOIL RATIO WAS 0.21% N, 0.07 PHOSPHATE, AND 0.14% POT ASH.  NUTE SOLUTION I NOW FEED IS 15%N, 30% PHOSPHATE, 15% POTASH.  *HAVE NOT USED NUTES FOR A WEEK*

9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?  EVERY NOW AND THEN I'LL SPRAY ALL THE LEAVES WITH WATER AND MOVE THE LIGHTS AWAY A BIT SO I DONT BURN THEM.

10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")I HAVE FOUR 100W EQUIV CFL'S AND A 24 INCH FLURO "GROW LIGHT" ON THE BOTTOM SHINING UP TO GIVE THE BOTTOM OF THE PLANTS LIGHT.  THIS TOTALS AROUND 8000 LUMENS.

11. How close are your lights to the plants?  IT VARIES.  ON AVERAGE THEY ARE ABOUT 3-6 INCHES.

12. What size is your grow space in square feet? HMM.  PROBABLY 3X3 WITH UNLIMITED VERTICAL POTENTIAL.

13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? TEMP IS FINE, AROUND 70-75, HUMIDITY, I DUNNO. MY ONLY GAUGE IS IN MY SHROOM'S FRUITING CHAMBER.

14. What is the pH of the soil?  NO WAY TO FIND PH TEST STRIPS. IM SO SORRY :frown:

15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?  A COUPLE OF ANTS ON THE WALLS,  AND SOME FRUIT FLIES EARLIER IN THE GROW CYCLE.  HAVENT SEEN THEM FOR A WHILE..  I HAVE FLY STRIPS HUNG UP AROUND THE PLANTS, AND A LAYER OF PERLITE OVER THE SOIL TO HOPEFULLY KEEP THEM OUT.

16. How much experience do you have growing? GREW UP HELPING MY GRANDMOTHER GROW HER VEGETABLE AND HERB GARDEN.  I GROW SHROOMS A LOT TOO. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME GROWING CANNABIS, BUT IM NOT A NOOB AT GROWING.

I MIGHT ALSO ADD, SINCE THE QUESTIONAIRE DIDNT COVER IT, I HAVE TWO FANS IN THE GROW ROOM GIVING SOME GREAT AIRFLOW, NOT DIRECTLY AIMED ON THE PLANTS BUT ENOUGH THE PLANTS AND LEAVES WILL SWAY SLIGHTLY WITH THE AIRFLOW.  LIKE A VERY GENTLE BREEZE IN THE WILD.

Alright, so i havent had any problems for a couple of weeks.  i checked my plants last night before i went to bed as always.  as always, they were fine.  i woke up and looked at them, and to my suprise, my best, bushiest plant is drying up and shriveling it looks like.  leaves tacoing, curling up or down, turning brown in the middle on some, and just generally looking like a mess..... i dont know how this could have happened over the course of 8-10 hours. could anybody help enlighten me?  this is really getting me nervous and i fear for my plant's life or at least gender

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycomaster_420
God amongst men
Male User Gallery

Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: AmsuJackal]
    #263076 - 08/10/09 10:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

They look mighty thristy, or the lights too close to em. Ur pots look really small (1.6 gal is VERY small). Transplant and water well, see if that works

--------------------
Everything I post is in fact entirely fictional

Edited by mycomaster_420 (08/10/09 10:27 PM)

OfflineAmsuJackal
Stranger

Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: mycomaster_420]
    #263097 - 08/10/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i dunno.  i watered night before last, soil was still moist an hour ago when i did a flush (first flush for this plant).  ill transplant once it starts to dry out and we'll see what happens.

I dont know why though the sudden onset.  im only talking 6-8 hours.  thatd be like going to work, coming home, and all of a sudden one plant is allllll fucked up for no reason. i just doesnt make sense lol.  i dont even think ph can turn that fast and cause issues..  i would think it was the lights but, the lights were about a foot from this plant with a breeze on them and the lights are cfl.. theres no way it could have burned, being the other plants are much closer to the lights without issues

Edited by AmsuJackal (08/10/09 11:23 PM)

Offlinemycomaster_420
God amongst men
Male User Gallery

#263202 - 08/11/09 08:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

move the lights back a little ways to be safe, im puttin my money on too small of a container tho...i had that happen once, then i transplanted to a 5 gallon bucket, and that shit TOOK off and healed right away....they just look soo dry, unless its chemical burn.

--------------------
Everything I post is in fact entirely fictional

Offline81renaissance
Coachella '13 KKOTY
Male

Loc: State of Mind Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: mycomaster_420]
    #263535 - 08/11/09 07:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, that pot size is very small for the size and age of your plants.
But I don't know, that's a pretty brutal downturn in a short period of time...lemme think.
Light distance is a possibility: hold your hand at the top of your plant (or wherever is closest to the light source), you should be able to keep it there for at least a minute without it getting uncomfortably hot.
As far as nutes go if I had to pick a deficiency I would say that is a magnesium deficiency, green veins, brown around them and that upward curl is classic presentation of a Mag deficiency...remember: Ca and Mag are EXTREMELY important as you go forward.
Now the bad news:

The other very real possibility is that your new soil has pH problems.  pH problems will F you up for the duration of a grow, and the only way to fix nute lockout from pH issues is by correcting the pH...nothing else will help.  So if this is a Mag deficiency because of lockout, you can't just add Mg or you will make your soil toxic.  You have got to find a way to test.

--------------------
"So it goes."
-Kurt Vonnegut

BlueBerry_Swisher said:I want French fries. No, I want a penis French. Thank you. I'm so excited. I can not contain myself. Now I eat chocolate. It is so good. I'm trying to rub it all over myself. And then lick. Now I need a hot shower. The end.

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #265612 - 08/15/09 02:09 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

It would definitely be advisable to find a way to measure the pH.  The visual signs of damage would seem to indicate some sort of nutrient problem.  I might suggest that it appears to be the progression or later stage of a Phosphorous (P) deficiency; However, you surely would have noticed subtler signs of damage over time, rather than the mangled beast you've shown us who reared her head over one single night!

If you can't or won't measure the pH, you might start by flushing the soil with at least 3 times the containers full volume worth of clean water.  Begin feeding with a 1/2 strength nutrient solution upon the next watering.  Make sure your temperatures and humidity levels are within optimal ranges.

Transplanting into a larger container would also be advised, but you may want to wait for the plant to show some healthy improvement before stressing it again by moving it.

Good luck!

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

OfflineDeadHead881
The Green Thumb
Male

Loc: COLORADO
Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: 81renaissance]
    #266386 - 08/16/09 10:45 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

81renaissance said:

As far as nutes go if I had to pick a deficiency I would say that is a magnesium deficiency, green veins, brown around them and that upward curl is classic presentation of a Mag deficiency...remember: Ca and Mag are EXTREMELY important as you go forward.
Now the bad news:

The other very real possibility is that your new soil has pH problems.  pH problems will F you up for the duration of a grow, and the only way to fix nute lockout from pH issues is by correcting the pH...nothing else will help.  So if this is a Mag deficiency because of lockout, you can't just add Mg or you will make your soil toxic.  You have got to find a way to test.

This is whats probably going on man.. If you cant find a store near you that carries pH testing supplies, just get online and order yourself the stuff you need you will be glad you did.

--------------------
Sometimes the lights all shinin on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been...
-Jerry Garcia, forever in my heart.

:eek:!LOOK!- Ok everyone for those of you who are not familiar with Rick Simpson or Jack Herer please educate yourselves...Hemp is the most amazing thing on the planet and the more of us who know the better. These men hold the answer. Here are a few links.
Rick Simpson's Page
Jack's Page- BUY THE BOOK PEOPLE!
:peace: :bigblunt: :bigjoint: :dancing::gethigh: :bongload: :rastamon: :mushroom2: :bouncysmoke:

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: DeadHead881]
    #268987 - 08/22/09 11:32 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I might suggest that it appears to be the progression or later stage of a Phosphorous (P) deficiency

I have to agree with you on this one geo.  This has all the signs of a HEAVY P def in your grow.  It would be my guess this comes from a combination of using miracle gro soil under the assumption it would be enough for your plants.  Miracle gro soil is a TIME released fertilization system.  There is also NO control on how much and when your plants would be fed with the nutes in the soil.  MG soil is also not tailored for growing cannabis, so what's good for a house plant will most likely not be good for your herb.

Honestly at this point I'd have to say your grow is fucked man.  While it is possible to salvage something out of this, your yield is going to be terrible if they do make it to budding.  The added stress of this fiasco will also not bode well for your grow.  So, if I were you, I would get some more seeds or clones going while trying to save your current grow.  If your current grow fails your backup will be already in process. 

Lastly, if you want to get PH stuff, just head over to a local pet store and go to the aquarium section.  They'll have test strips and drops for you to use which will work just fine for your grows.  Also, I would invest in some better soil and start looking into a nutrient line designed for growing cannabis.  By controlling what your plants get, what time they get it, and how much they get, you will eliminate many of the problems that come along with using pre fertilized soil.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Offlinesupersiege
Strangerer

Re: shocking problem that has happened overnight o.O [Re: coda]
    #269212 - 08/22/09 08:54 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

only a few things would do this in that time period, lights (heat maybe cooling unit shut off), extremely over fertilized (Check roots enough food to do this in 8 hrs would surely have damaged them as well) Dried out or cooked from lack of water (once the plants completely dry theyll start losing leaves relatively quickly but usually from the bottom up). Also i swear ive seen this plant before, is this the same one from the yellowing leaves post.

Ph directly effects which and the amount of nutrients your plant can take out of the medium, ph problems can look like any nutrient deficiency and you must have it checked first. For 5$ walmart carries test strips for your water, and some walmarts have a soil ph tester in the garden center i posted a link for one on your other "yellowing" post

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Green Vein Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies