Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekarma_agent
ran into a problem i can't figure out
    #183755 - 01/17/09 07:52 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Aight so I think I will get to finish my grow after all, but one of my plants seems to have gotten a little sick and I can't really figure out why.

It's in week 5 of flowering and was doing fine until about a week ago, the problem is that the younger top leaves have started yellowing, getting brown spots, and crisping up on the edges.  I'm not quite sure what this is.  There is a nitrogen deficiency in all three plants due to them not getting anymore nitrogen (last dose was like 3 weeks ago), this is progressing up the plant and is mainly on the fan leaves, but it's too soon for the top leaves to start yellowing as the plants are still pretty green from the middle up, and it's worrying me that this is happening to the young leaves around the buds on top of the plant.  The plant also seems to have slowed down in developing buds/producing trichomes, it has the least trichomes out of the three plants.

Aight well here are some specifications from my grow, the three plants have been getting the exact same treatment, but this is only happening to one of them.

Growing from seed

Soilless mix: 5 parts peat, 3 parts perlite, 2 parts compost, and dolomite lime.

Ph: 6.5-7

Lights: 26k lumens from T12 fluoro tubes, 6 soft white, and 2 daylight, positioned around the plants as close as possible.

Temp: around 75 all the time, the lowest it's gone was about 68 and the highest about 80

Humidity: around 50, sometimes going up to 60.

Nutes:  EarthJuice Grow (2-1-1), EarthJuice Bloom (0-2-1) all derived from organic stuff like guano and kelp, EarthJuice Microblast (only trace stuff), Blackstrap Molasses, a little bit of Epsom Salts that I added a few days ago because I thought it was a sulfur deficiency.

I've been watering them a bit too often lately, during vegging and early flowering I was giving them big waterings once a week or so, that seemed to give them a little bit of a nute burn when i gave them nutes at the start of flowering, so I decided to start giving them smaller waterings more often, I've been doing this for about 2 weeks, feeding them a little bit with half concentration of the bloom nutes (which have no nitrogen at all) plus the microblast and molasses, so soil has been moist constantly lately, but the medium has good drainage so i don't really think it's an overwatering problem plus it doesn't really look like it. 

The interesting thing is that the plant that's suffering now did not get the slight nute burn that the other two plants got in the start of flowering.

Oh yeah I've used distilled water for this whole grow, mixing the nutes into it, they haven't gotten just pure water for a little while, because I've been adding molasses every time even on the non nute waterings, and light feedings (about 400 ml) of the half strength bloom nutes like twice a week.

The pH of the nute solution is a bit acidic, runoff ph is about 6.5 all the time though.

Oh and as far as bugs I've seen some regular gnats flying around in there, but not many and I don't think they are fungus gnats.

I've tried to diagnose/solve the problem myself but so far it doesn't seem to be working.

At first I added some leftover nute solution that still had some of the Grow nutes in it to ease the nitrogen def on the plant a little bit, so maybe that somehow caused a problem, but I did that like almost 2 weeks ago I believe (I think this is the only thing I didn't really do to the other plants, so maybe its a nute burn of some sort....but I doubt that since the other nute burn I've had was on the bottom fan leaves and not the young fan leaves, but it's possible if the plant is now sending most of the nutes to the buds/flowering leaves first.)
I found a page online that said top leaves yellowing/dying probably means either a sulfur or an iron deficiency, so I thought that sulfur was the culprit because I checked my microblast bottle and it didn't say that there was any sulfur in it, so i tried giving the plant some epsom salts (1 tsp in 1 gal of water).  I gave the plant a few cups about 5 days ago and then another 2 cups a day after, the other two plants also got some of that, but it didn't seem to help the first one.  And I don't think it's the iron def as they've had pretty regular doses of microblast which has iron.  So right now I'm a little bit clueless.

Right now I'm thinking it might be either somehow related to air circulation because I haven't really been doing a good job of that lately, although they aren't in an airtight space and the other plants seem to be doing fine under the same conditions so I don't know if that's what it is.

The most likely problem is some sort of salt accumulation, nute lockout type thing cause of the baking soda a month ago and the more frequent feedings lately, but again the other two plants had the same treatment and seem fine. 

I haven't flushed the plant yet as the soil has been moist lately and I don't want to overwater, although the medium has good drainage so overwatering doesn't seem like that much of a danger, so I could flush if you guys think i should.

well here are some  pics

The first two are bud pics from the best looking plant, lots of trichomes, bigger and nicer christmas tree looking buds.

These are the buds from the plant in question, notice how they don't have nearly as many crystals, are smaller in size, and have yellowing leaves right next to them.

and here are younger top fan leaves that are yellowing/browning/dying

So the question is, what causes young leaves to die, decreased trichome production and slower bud development.  With nice organic nutes, nice soilless medium with good drainage, and seemingly optimal conditions all around.  And why wouldn't it affect the other plants?

P.S. sorry for the long ass post!

Edited by karma_agent (01/17/09 08:00 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinekarma_agent
Re: ran into a problem i can't figure out [Re: karma_agent]
    #183757 - 01/17/09 07:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

oh and for now i think i'm just gonna lay off and let them chill for a while without doing anything else to them, except maybe flush if you guys think that would be a good idea.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: ran into a problem i can't figure out [Re: karma_agent]
    #189962 - 01/27/09 10:55 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

P or K def. Most likely.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder