Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Loc: Southwestern US Flag
Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble
    #238422 - 06/10/09 07:29 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I feel as though i should post one of these since some people have expressed interest in an LED grow.

I recently purchased a Homebox S, a Carbon scrubber filter, a vortex VTX400 inline fan...and a 90W LED grow light from growlLED.

I then took my only available seed (of unknown origins, it had been sitting on my desk for over a year...I soaked it in water for 12 hours...then planted in sphagnum peat moss and let it sprout

I then mixed up 5 gallons of a soil mix that contains:
1.75 gallons Sphagnum Peat Moss
1.75 gallons Perlite
.75 gallons of 50/50 Worm Castings/Black Kow
5 Tbsp Blood Meal
10 Tbsp Bone Meal
and a small scoop of polymer water crystals to decrease watering frequency

and transplanted the small seedling to a 12 inch pot filled with this mixture...and left it on 20/4 light schedule without watering for 1 week. When i returned, i found this:

it was 2 inches tall, 3 inches wide at the leaf tips, and working on its 4th node...so i watered and fertilized with a half-strength solution of MG 24-16-8 fertilizer, changed the lighting to 24/0, and left it again for 2 weeks without watering...this time i made a booboo...and didnt raise the light enough, and the plant grew into the light. Now LED's dont produce a lot of extra radiant heat downwards...so it only scorched the very top parts of the top leaves where it was physically in contact with the light...but it looked good:

this time it was 6 inches tall, 12 inches across, and working on it's 10th node, correct me if im wrong but that seems really dense...which is the way i would describe the growth...i cant hardly see the main stem...though it is 1/2 inch thick when i take a closer look. I could see the stipules showing, so i went ahead and switched to 12/12 lighting since i only have about 2 to 2.5 feet of overhead clearance, and installed 2 60W CFLs along with the LED light to add 7800 lumens to mix...in the 2700K color temperature, to help with flowering...I also loaded it up with Fox Farm's Big Bloom fertilizer and plenty of water...and it is now on the next 2 week neglect session...and I'm hoping and praying for a female!

This is my first time growing indoors...and i wanted to get some experience in with bagseed before i try good genetics...so feel free to offer suggestions...I will update in about 1.5 weeks with new pics.

Peace
agmotes165

--------------------
“The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you” -NDT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletravelleler
New and used cannabis seeds!!!

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: Data]
    #238703 - 06/11/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

the plant looks fantastic--  i can't wait to see how it goes :borat:

--------------------
So, in summation: The CIA, with a little help from the Nazis, accidentally helped invent hippies while they were trying to figure out how to brainwash communists.

Pour that on your granola and eat it, you zombie pinko bastards!"

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: travelleler]
    #238858 - 06/12/09 02:02 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

why thank you sir...i always appreciate compliments:cool:

--------------------

OfflineYungpunk
NewKidOnTheBlock
 User Gallery

#238859 - 06/12/09 02:14 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

keep up the pics, love to see em! im working on a new grow right now too.

--------------------
Riots are the voices of the unheard.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

Invisiblejwes420
Support Legalization!
 User Gallery

Loc: NE Great Lake Region
    #238875 - 06/12/09 02:52 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

That is pretty fukkin dense!:thumbup: It looks like there are a lot of smaller branches popping up inside, too.

--------------------

.........."And You Will Come to Find, that WE are ALL, ONE MIND.....
.....Capable of ALL that's IMAGINED, and ALL That's CONCIEVABLE.....

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: jwes420]
    #238878 - 06/12/09 03:04 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

yea i was a little worried that the inner branches would have trouble with shading...so i rigged up a couple of LED light bars that apply a small amount of white light on the sides to kind of draw the branches out where they could get some of the main bright light...and you can pretty much never have too much light...just too much heat...and these leds aren't super bright and are cool to the touch...so i dont have to worry about them burning my plant...

--------------------

OfflineIntegra21
Up and coming Farmer

Trusted Cultivator
    #238880 - 06/12/09 03:13 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

looking good so far. Interesting to see an led grow. I still want to see one that is flowered with only led's, to get a real judgement of how well they work.

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: Integra21]
    #238898 - 06/12/09 03:53 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

i would but i dont really have a good, safe way to get the plant to light distance right with my current resources...so i just set it on the bottom of the grow tent and added 2 300W equivalent CFLs to up the total amount of light...on my next grow i will be using some decent genetics...and probly get another LED light...and then just grow purely with LED lights...I like the way it handles the vegetative stage...very compact...

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#241263 - 06/20/09 06:06 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

well as promised here is the update...
my plant is in week 2 of 12/12 lighting...it has shown some stretching
what im worried about is the water issue...I tried some aqua globes...2 of them in the same pot...and over 2 weeks the damn things ran dry...im thinking of getting a soaker hose hooked up to a fountain pump in a 5 gallon bucket...and running the pump on a timer...

I am seeing some of the newer branches looking burned on the tips of new growth...but its not near any light...Im afraid this may be a water or nute problem...

and now for pictures...

it is now 8 inches tall...and on all 3 apical meristems...11 nodes...it looks like the burn from last time upset the balance of hormonal power...and the node below the burn took over the job of apical meristem(s)...though the original one seems to have recovered and started growing again

here is one of the developing branches...can you see any sex indicators? I can't.

here are some pictures of the burned-looking undergrowth...is there anything i can do to help/fix that?

thanks for your help guys...i will update again either next week or the week after that

peace
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#241599 - 06/21/09 07:40 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

so here are a few extra pictures that i managed to get...they are a little clearer than the last few...enjoy

here is one of the branches that have formed...looks like a good bud-producing site to me...but im no expert:cool:

--------------------

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

#241602 - 06/21/09 07:45 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I am going to go out on a limb here and say this plant is alittle sick.

It just doesn't look right.

Keep us posted, I'll do some research

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #241625 - 06/21/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I would suggest trimming off all of the burnt leaves (if a good portion of the leaf is still sound, just clip the burnt part and leave the rest).  This will allow you (and us) to better evaluate your plant without focusing so much on the previous burn problem; and will also open up the plant so that more light can get to the still healthy leaves.

I would also suggest trimming off the large fan leaves that are laying on the soil, as this can provide a breeding ground for fungus, small gnats/mites, etc... Not to mention, they probably aren't getting a lot of good light being that far down inside the potting container, and there is no need to force the plant to expend its energy maintaining those fairly unproductive leaves.

Thanks for your grow log... Keep up the updates, I am also very interested in these LED light systems! :thumbup:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

Offlinebobby
TheKushFiles
Male User Gallery

Loc: upper sedimentary rock
Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: geokills]
    #241655 - 06/21/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

hope it goes well for ya! I've been interesed in leds so i guess if have success budding then i may give it go! like how compact it is

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: bobby]
    #241657 - 06/21/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

ok so i took geokills advice and trimmed a lot of the burned leaf material off, and a few of the big, dried out fan leaves around it to open up the canopy and allow light to reach the braches that were starving to death under them...you can see in these pics how the leaves underneath are pale and sickly looking...I believe this is due to lack of light...I think that the trimming should help out some...

warning...this plant is UGLY

sorry for the sideways picture

let me know if you notice anything obvious that I am doing wrong...I do not have a lot of experience with this and will appreciate any help i can get

thanks in advance
agmotes165

--------------------

OfflinegeokillsA
······· º¿° ·······
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels
Trusted Cultivator
    #241689 - 06/21/09 03:03 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

That's better! :thumbup:

Now clean up all that dead or dying rubbish laying on top of the soil.  You want to keep that shit clean! :whip: :biggrin:

Make sure you aren't over-watering.  The soil should not be sopping wet.  Your potting container should have drain holes in the bottom.  Use a measuring cup when you water the plant to figure out how much it can take without flooding out the drain holes.  The amount of water necessary will vary quite a bit depending on the plant's growth stage, container size, ambient temperature and humidity.

In between waterings, make sure you let the soil have a chance to dry out a bit and get more oxygen to the roots.  You should try to water at the beginning of your light cycle, so the plants can transpire more of the new moisture and allow for more oxygen to reach the roots during the dark cycle.  Watering just before lights out can contribute to the suffocation of the root system.

To get an idea of when to water, pick up the container.  Is it very light?  That's your sign that most of the water is gone.  A major warning sign that lets you know its time to water is if your container is way light and the leaves start to wilt or droop.  Try not to let it get to that point, but if it does and you catch it early, it won't be a big problem.  Over watering is a bigger problem in my opinion.

During the vegetative phase of growth, try to give the plant nutrients that have a slightly higher Nitrogen (N) component.  Most nutrient mixtures/solutions list the N-P-K content as a series of three numbers.  The first number is the nitrogen, second is phosphorous and third is potassium.  Once you get into the flowering phase, you'll want to switch to a nutrient solution that features a higher phosphorous (P) content.

Since this seems to be your first grow, go easy on the nutes.  Better to err on the side of caution by giving them too little nutrients, than to burn them with too much!

Good luck, and keep us updated! :sun:

--------------------
Do Your Part!

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#241706 - 06/21/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanks geokills,

I am currently watering every 2 weeks just because that is the only time i can get to my plant...I know its retarded...but i was trying to get some experience in with some bagseed before i invested in some decent genetics...also i will be able to care for it more often later on...so my future grows will probably look much better.

i have a decent amount of natural nutes from the soil mix...blood meal, bone meal, worm castings, black kow...and now that it is in flowering i am going a little light on the fox farm's big bloom liquid fertilizer...every 2 weeks, per direction minus a little just so i dont over do it.

I am also using water crystals and a huge pot relative to plant size to try and hold moisture reserves since I only water every 2 weeks...and when i do water, I water deep, until i see a small amount of water coming out of the drain holes...I am hoping that this will also help stimulate root growth...

I am currently trying to arrange my schedule so that in a few weeks i can start watering every week, but for now I am just trying to work with what I have...

thanks for the advice...keep it commin everyone :cool::thumbup:
agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleInverted
CNC Machinist/Greenthumb
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Star Flag
    #241989 - 06/22/09 12:33 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

geokills said:
That's better! :thumbup:

Now clean up all that dead or dying rubbish laying on top of the soil.  You want to keep that shit clean! :whip: :biggrin:

Make sure you aren't over-watering.  The soil should not be sopping wet.  Your potting container should have drain holes in the bottom.  Use a measuring cup when you water the plant to figure out how much it can take without flooding out the drain holes.  The amount of water necessary will vary quite a bit depending on the plant's growth stage, container size, ambient temperature and humidity.

In between waterings, make sure you let the soil have a chance to dry out a bit and get more oxygen to the roots.  You should try to water at the beginning of your light cycle, so the plants can transpire more of the new moisture and allow for more oxygen to reach the roots during the dark cycle.  Watering just before lights out can contribute to the suffocation of the root system.

To get an idea of when to water, pick up the container.  Is it very light?  That's your sign that most of the water is gone.  A major warning sign that lets you know its time to water is if your container is way light and the leaves start to wilt or droop.  Try not to let it get to that point, but if it does and you catch it early, it won't be a big problem.  Over watering is a bigger problem in my opinion.

During the vegetative phase of growth, try to give the plant nutrients that have a slightly higher Nitrogen (N) component.  Most nutrient mixtures/solutions list the N-P-K content as a series of three numbers.  The first number is the nitrogen, second is phosphorous and third is potassium.  Once you get into the flowering phase, you'll want to switch to a nutrient solution that features a higher phosphorous (P) content.

Since this seems to be your first grow, go easy on the nutes.  Better to err on the side of caution by giving them too little nutrients, than to burn them with too much!

Good luck, and keep us updated! :sun:

Excellent information Geo!!!  You couldn't have summed up so much info in so few words any better!

It might be ugly but you give that sexy lady a week or 2 and you won't even recognize it... believe me.  Keep it up agmotes!

--------------------
Don't criticize what you can't understand

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

Re: Single Bagseed Indoor LED Gamble [Re: Inverted]
    #242079 - 06/22/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the encouragement guys...I'm glad there are so many people around here to help me out of my n00b shell...:mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------

InvisibleDataM
That Guy
Male

#245168 - 07/02/09 07:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Ok Update!!!  This is week 9 since i germinated the seed...and week 4 since i initiated flowering...

So mucho thanks to geokills, and mucho thanks to inverted and everyone else that offered optimism...I believe its starting to pay off.

Plant is now 13 inches tall at its highest point, 20 inches wide at its widest point...and working on its 14th node on the main stem...

It is definitely a female...as is visible in the pictures...

So far I am very pleased...i do have some lower branches that are growing right under the higher branches though...and was wondering if i should tie them to move them to the side a little so that the lower flowering branches can get more light?

thanks again everyone...and i will post more pics in the next few days

agmotes165

--------------------

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

#245169 - 07/02/09 07:18 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

dramatic change from last pictures. Looking great and great pictures I think you are going to have some delicious buds. Keep us updated.

:thumbup:

:peace:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom