Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineicanfeeltherain
Newb Mycologist
Male

The Best Growing Medium
    #215551 - 04/14/09 07:05 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, so I've heard great things about hydro, that basically it's better in every aspect except for taste.  With a perfectionist nature I don't believe in doing anything without the intention of doing it right, especially something that I enjoy and expect to enjoy in the fruits of my labor.  For that reason I am looking to formulate the best possible medium for producing nice, tasty, aromatic, gourmet buds.  I have to go with the idea that soil has a place in anything grown, such that I will not resort to using a completely hydroponic system.

However, soil can have its limitations when it comes to proper nutrients and especially oxygen transpiration at the roots.  For this reason I have begun to investigate the use of coco coir as a growth medium.  It seems to be a medium that would offer a stronger support for the root beds, and be "airy" enough to allow for maximum transpiration.

I am also interested in creating worm castings to use as an additive to the coco, to create a good natural fertilizer supply, and also using worm casting tea to foliar feed during the 7th week(?) of veg.  This will hopefully prove to be a substantially beneficial practice.

My overall goal is to probe the community for information from those most experienced with perfecting their produce, regarding the best growth medium, possible additives (be it natural or not), and foliar feeding supplies (again, be it natural or not).

Thanks to all!

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" - Thich Nhat Hanh

"Yes, Cuban B."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJMR

Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #215598 - 04/14/09 10:54 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I use Soil, verm, and perlite as my medium and it works great.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: JMR]
    #215891 - 04/15/09 09:39 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Miracle Gro ORGANIC potting soil works great (0.5-0.5-0.5). pH is normally around 6.5-7 and adjusts easily. No 3 months worth of chemical nutes in there. Recommended for the novice and budget grower.

The only thing you may want to add is a bit of perlite. Thats about all I would do to it.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleBen18
Drunk Derelict
Male User Gallery

Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: ethnoguy]
    #215930 - 04/15/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
Miracle Gro ORGANIC potting soil works great (0.5-0.5-0.5). pH is normally around 6.5-7 and adjusts easily. No 3 months worth of chemical nutes in there. Recommended for the novice and budget grower.

The only thing you may want to add is a bit of perlite. Thats about all I would do to it.

EG

Great tip, I was just researching on how I wanted to make my organic soil mix. Thanks I will keep this in mind.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: Ben18]
    #215948 - 04/15/09 12:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah np. I'm going to do a soil "Grow the Growery" type deal to complement this: http://www.growery.org/3017/Nutrients

Its taking a bit of time though. Work keeps getting in the way. Plus all the pot I smoke makes me lazy :evil:.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: ethnoguy]
    #216086 - 04/15/09 09:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You like that stuff ethno? I tried it out and burnt the shit out of my plants. I must have had a bad batch or something, but I have hated every gnat full bag of miracle grow soil I have ever bought... I keep thinking that at least one of their varieties will work for me. :rolleyes:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Offlineethnoguy
E to the G
Male User Gallery

Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #216206 - 04/16/09 09:03 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
You like that stuff ethno? I tried it out and burnt the shit out of my plants. I must have had a bad batch or something, but I have hated every gnat full bag of miracle grow soil I have ever bought... I keep thinking that at least one of their varieties will work for me. :rolleyes:

I have heard others complain about gnats too. I guess I've been lucky so far :shrug:. I don't understand how thats happening. I'm sure they pasteurize it. At least I figure they would.

You burnt your plants with the .5-.5-.5 Organic MG? IDK, I have always had success using that soil and Fox Farm nutes. I can't complain about pH probs or anything.

I will say that once I switch to my new grow area, I'll be mixing my own soil. I cant afford over 100 gallons of soil every few months lol.

EG

--------------------

My Grow Closet

My Personal Cacti Pics

Offlinescar420
Stranger
Loc: The great white north
Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: icanfeeltherain]
    #520511 - 01/28/11 09:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

50% pro mix, 50% perlite. No complaints so far, you can use regular old 20-20-20 or use a hydro feeding schedule. I would say to get aromatic and tasty smoke you might want to use the hydro nutes along with something like bud candy, floralicious or karbo boost...(all are a Carbohydrate mixture, this will have an effect on aroma, flavor and yield). Overall.. hydro nutes are the way to go if you desire having good smoke.

Offlinedmtcorey
~The time police~
 User Gallery

Re: The Best Growing Medium [Re: scar420]
    #520528 - 01/28/11 10:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

there is no best grow medium ,all there is ,is matching the genetics of the plant to different  environmental influences and find what works for you !

--------------------
:whereismiddleman:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds