Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCactus Chris
Stranger
My "Grow Plan" Whatcha think? (very detailed)
    #482381 - 09/25/10 11:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What's up everybody? Long time lurker, first time poster. Below is an outline for a very small scale grow op in a one bedroom apartment. This will technically be my first grow, though I did try my hand at a few bagseeds last year, but was forced to abort because I had to move. So some of my decisions are based on what I tried before. The seedlings only got to be about a week old, but grew to be a few inches tall (about the half the height of a dollar bill-ish) and sprouted (when directly sown into soil) within 4 days-ish, wich I thought was pretty good.

I've done a bit of reading, and from what I have read, this is a general outline for what I think I'm going to do. (I'm also another one coming from the wonderful world of mushroom cultivation.) /br

I accept all constructive criticism, peaceful suggestions, and of course new information. (on anything but spelling errors, as I have given up :wink: )

Seeds/Strain
After hours and hours of debating with myself on what strain to go with, and careful consideration of growth paramaters, needs, and personal choice (advertised taste, indica/sativa, strength etc.), I have decided to go with 03 seeds, Autoflowering, feminized, Lowryder Easyryder AKA Lowryder #2 X AK47 from Attitude Seedbank (shipped to US.) http://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/easy-ryder-aka-lowryder-2-x-ak47/prod_442.html
The size read in the reviews, and on some online reports, seemed ideal for apartment growth with limited space. I really enjoy diesel strains but was worried about the smell, along with other strains that reviews emphasized/were notorious for odor. The quick growth seemed ideal also for my first grow, hopeing to teach myself some patience. Lastly, the advertized higher yeild of this strained seemed appropriate, of course (compared to other autoflowering "Lowryders".)

This is the only thing that I am not open to for suggestions, as I have already purchased/commited to as I have ordered yesterday. Suggestions for future strains, however, I am open to, and also, I recieved a free seed with my purchase that I know nothing about (strain) so I would like any information you have to offer about it as well. It's UFO#1 Dinafem Seeds Sweet Deep Grapefruit. http://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/ufo-1-dinafem-seeds-sweet-deep-grapefruit/prod_2752.html

Growing Medium

As for what to grow in/on (i.e. soil, aero,hydro), I have chosen soil for my first grow op. I went browsing today for soils, and based on some reading, and a few other factors, I think I may purchase "Jungle Growth: Garden and Vegetable Mix with Neem Cake." http://www.junglegrowthusa.com/products.html#organicneem

If you don't feel like clicking on the link, here's what's up with it, "55% composted pine bark, Canadian long fiber moss, vermiculite, perlite, horticulural grade ash, slow release organic fertilizer, neem cake, trace minerals. Total Nitrogen: 14%; Phosphate: .07% (P205); Soluble potash: .05%. I used this (if I remember correctly) on the aborted grow I mentioned earlier. But of course have no idea on what it will do in terms of finished product.

I was also considering Miracle Grow, but wanted to stay organic, and what they offered had less nutrients. However, the bag advertised "Slowly available Nitrogen (2 months)." I'd really not like to add much, if anything (in terms of fertilizers), to my growing medium, as this is my first grow, and I read it is very easy to burn Lowryders/Autoflowers. So I was planing to just put the seedlings in, and let 'em do thier thing, maybe put a few worms in there.  I was also going to germinate in either a papertowel, or some moss.

Lighting

Here, we have alot of options as most of you know. I'm not going to lie, I don't understand fully alot of it, but from what I've read, here's some options, and I definatly look forward to your input.
I'm not overly worried about energy consumption on such a small scale (I plan on only growing one or two of the seeds at a time, and staggering them.) But I am on heat, and mildly concerned about how dank it is when it's all said and done, however, it's my first grow, so not expecting alot.

First option: Sylvania Spot-Gro @ 120 watts. I used it on the aborted seedlings, and was somewhat comfortable with heat when I used a 8.5 inch clamp light.  http://www.elightbulbs.com/Sylvania-14898-120BR-GRO-120V-Plant-Aquarium-Terrarium-Light-Bulb

Second option: I was thinking maybe I could add this one to the first option? (This is where my "noob-ness" really shows!) If you guys think it's useless, or just not worth it (heat, cost, efficiency, etc) then I'll scrap it, but some bulb from GE's "Reveal" line. I used to use these for my seasonal affective disorder (as recomended by doc) as they reportedly somewhat mimic the sun. Just an idea...

Third option: I was definitally considering this to mount vertically as subsidary lighting on the side of the grow area (more on that later.) It's a 24 inch, 75 watt (17 watt energy use it says on pkg?) grow light from wally-world. It just says "florescent grow light" and that it contains murcury so I dont know what kind it is.

Fourth option: I'm worried about heat on this...and cost (any aspect) but a 150 watt HPS.
/br As I mentioned above, don't know alot about lighting, just throwing some ideas out there. I'd really like to stick to these options, as I want to buy locally, and not online (as with everything in this write-up excluding seeds.)

Grow Area

I will be growing (more than likely) in a closet. Fully occupied with clothes and belongings. So with that in mind, I decided to research some stealth options. They are expensive, and I'd have to get it online, not locally, but I will make exception if below ideas seem like bad ones. I also considered making one, but after looking around various places like Lowes and Wal-mart, I narrowed it down to a few.

Didn't write name brand today while window shopping at Lowes, Oops! It may be Sterilite, but seemed like much more durable than the Sterilite products seen commonly at Wal-Mart. Storage cabinet with dimensions of: 92cm height X 68cm width X 38cm Depth. Not sure what the material is, it advertized "durable resin." I think with good ventilation, the heat would not be an issue, if closely monitered particularly on setup. I liked this one @ $65. Figured I could modify it (more on that later) to house componets. It also has a lock on it, wich is obviously awesome.

Option two: Sterilite Cabinet at wally world. Sterilite makes alot of those drawer sets and gigantic "tuperware" type containers than many people put in there shop and for long term storage, as seen with xmas decorations, clothes etc. Dimensions: 65cm width x 48cm depth x 176 cm height. Same plans for this one as with one mentioned above.

I liked these "prefabed" options for the durability (opposed to something I made), and the fact they don't look like a grow op! Put a lock on the first one, keep it tucked away in the closet and it'd be inconspicuous.
Without the use of diagrams, here's a general idea of what i would do with them. Firstly, cut a hole in the back of them, intake and exhaust vents. intake on bottom and exhaust on top? Visa versa? Then, drill a hole on top or side, wherever easier for power cords to the lights and fan. Then, coat the inside with "Reflectix" insulation. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.brokenboltgarage.net/reflectix.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.brokenboltgarage.net/goinggreen.htm&usg=__dh8VJ56sVvVoF42pIifR6nDeSmc=&h=300&w=300&sz=11&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=bg3x-m7tt-FH-M:&tbnh=161&tbnw=163&prev=/images%3Fq%3DReflectix%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1276%26bih%3D627%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=613&vpy=74&dur=437&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=104&ty=95&ei=6NeeTIfrLML78Abcv7mWDQ&oei=6NeeTIfrLML78Abcv7mWDQ&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0 My question about the Reflectix is, will it withstand the heat? How important is the "R" rating in that respect? Third, I would fab something to make the light height adjustable. Lastly, put in an approx. 6 inch personal fan, like this one...http://store.math.com/Toys-165795011-B000QR6VXW-Lasko_Personal_Fan_6_Inches_White_2002W.html and situated it accordingly. Any special advice on the situation of the fan? Other than not directly torwards the plant :tongue2:

So that's pretty much the plan. Still reading? Trying to keep it uber simple for my first grow. Going to keep it on the 20/4 light cycle continuously, as prescribed on the product description. I've read something a while ago about adding food grade hydrogen peroxide to the water to help the roots oxygenate. Where does one get food grade hyd.perox? Can I just use the stuff in the first aid aisle? How much to add? Distilled or tap water? What about "smart" water (w/ electrolytes)? Also, I don't really understand "flushing" it just before harvest. Or, why one would keep it in the dark just prior to harvest. If the trichromes' purpose is to protect the plant from the sun, and they have the "good" stuff, wouldn't it make sense to oversaturate it with intest light just before? Of course, I'm a noob, and I'll prob be told I'm very mistaken on somethings. But if your kind, I'm open. :smile:

Cactus Chris

(edited after caffine,and more correctly remembering how big an inch is :blush: )

Edited by Cactus Chris (09/26/10 01:55 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedankakanat
Never a failure, Always a lesson
Male

Loc: Unknown
Re: My "Grow Plan" Whatcha think? (very detailed) [Re: Cactus Chris]
    #532193 - 03/02/11 11:16 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

how much u looking to spend?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   THCeeds Marijuana Seeds