Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

400w HPS grow
    #21034 - 05/06/08 04:57 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

i am thinking of having a grow of 4 plants under a 400w hps.

now will the electricity bill cause suspicion? is that something to be worried about?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Loc: Ass Flavour Pie Factory
Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: pong]
    #21054 - 05/06/08 05:45 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

It's nothing to worry about, 400w is nothing.

If you're still using incandescent bulbs in your house lights, replace them with compact fluros and you'll cover that 400w easy with some to spare.

--------------------
Coaster Said:  "wut do u post bout flumbooyon"

Offlinemikeytro
Male

#21073 - 05/06/08 05:59 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

where are you getting your light set up at and at what cost?

just wondering becuase I plan on investing in a 400 watt hps when I have the money

--------------------
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" _ Einstein

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: Hanky]
    #21825 - 05/07/08 02:00 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Hanky said:
It's nothing to worry about, 400w is nothing.

If you're still using incandescent bulbs in your house lights, replace them with compact fluros and you'll cover that 400w easy with some to spare.

that is some good news

now i can medicate myself fo free!

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #21836 - 05/07/08 02:11 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

heh, free, i wish!  If you're being visited by a magical medium and nutrient fairy, equipment genie, and gardening supply gnome, send them my way cuz i'd like to get a bunch of things for free too :laugh:

It may not be free but it sure as hell beats paying upwards of 400$ an oz.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineDoitagain
Smoothie therapist
Male User Gallery

Loc: i am everywhere and nowhe...
Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: coda]
    #21857 - 05/07/08 03:25 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:
heh, free, i wish!  If you're being visited by a magical medium and nutrient fairy, equipment genie, and gardening supply gnome, send them my way cuz i'd like to get a bunch of things for free too :laugh:

haha yeah, i mean when you compare to buying the weed its practically free.

--------------------
ltd said:
fgts just don't understand

keep the shit

InvisibleStrandedVoyager

Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: Doitagain]
    #22638 - 05/08/08 02:29 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Not to mention it's a lot of fun and a great hobby. Nursing your little ladies from seeds into mature six month old plants is so beautiful and rewarding. Also remember HPS lights are really only decent for the flowering stage, for the Veg stage I'd recommend picking up some fluoros from your local hydro shop. I personally was skeptical about fluoros thinking they weren't powerful enough but in the veg stage my plants really responded to them. Plus they're cheap and easy and not much of a fire hazard plus they don't get off much heat.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: StrandedVoyager]
    #22648 - 05/08/08 03:01 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

StrandedVoyager said:
Also remember HPS lights are really only decent for the flowering stage.

This is far from true, any good quality spectrum adjusted HPS lamp will be more than adequate for vegging weed and will do a better job than fluros.

--------------------

Offlinepong
Male User Gallery

#22849 - 05/08/08 04:10 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

hanky, you seem to know your shit.

if i am allowed 12 immature and 6 mature plants

what kind of growing cycle would you advise me to implement?

i was thinking a staggered harvest that is continuous.
One mother plant, 5 clones, and 5 plants in the flowering room.

Is the mother plant considered mature? if not then i will have 3 in the flowering and a month later another three. coming from the mother plant.

OfflineHanky
Fat Ladies Bingo

#23076 - 05/08/08 09:38 PM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Well a mother is always mature by it's nature as it wont be a young plant.

Keeping in mind that it takes about 14 days for a clone to strike roots then another 2 to 4 weeks to veg it to a reasonable flowering size that give you four to six weeks from cutting the clones to flowering them, most strains have around an eight week flowering time.

If you wanted a perpetual harvest you could take two new clones every two weeks veg them and put them in the flower room, withing two months or so you'd be harvesting two plants every two weeks and replacing them with new veged clones.

I hope the helps give you an idea of time frames etc.

--------------------

Offlineheretician
Johnny Poppyseed

#23376 - 05/09/08 01:27 AM (15 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The spectral output of the sun is closer to 100 lumens per watt -- most blackbody radiators that we are used to (incandescent lamps, for example) operate at a fairly low temperature, so the "peak" wavelength is usually in the infrared -- this means that only a small fraction of the energy is released as visible light, usually with an efficiacy of around 10-25 lumens per watt for incandescent. In the case of the sun though, its surface temperature is about 5700K, which means that the "peak" wavelength is actually in the green portion of the spectrum -- which coincides with the eye's sensitivity peak. If a filament material existed that would operate at 5700k, we could have incan lamps with 100 lm/W efficicacy, and perfect color rendering. (don't count on it -- tungtsen is already the metal with the highest melting point, around 3400k, and running it near that point results in very very short life).

Precisely! - Right on. It's funny how most people think the light from the sun is yellow, and then you shine an incan light and an LED light onto a piece white paper in full sunshine showing how the LED is colorless and the incan is yellow. The reason the sun "looks" yellow is probably because of the blue sky that surrounds it. Human eye "white balance control" at the works here.
Yep, most people consider the sun to be "yellow" and the moon to be more "blue", when in fact that moon is a poor reflector of blue light, so its apparent color temperature is actually lower (more yellow) at about 4000k. I suppose it does look bluish though compared to the typical high pressure sodium lamps (1900K) most people have to compare it to...

Want bright? Try a hypernova.
A hypernova is going to emit all of its energy as high intensity gamma rays, so considering it "bright" is somewhat of a misnomer -- the only way we've been able to "see" them is that the gamma rays sometimes hit something else, which in turn re-emits light in the visible range.

Offlinegrowclick
not a first time grower
Male User Gallery

Loc: i dont even know
Re: 400w HPS grow [Re: coda]
    #593568 - 10/23/11 12:20 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

coda said:

hahahha my grows costing me £17 for 3 seeds 3 plants and hardly spent a penny not long to go plants er near ready to o yea free 400w hps and free 2 run aswell free neuts pots soil hahaha i think my plants will put at least £2000 pound my pocket :crazy2: sorry just did a big line so am talking shit ahahahahhaahhahahahhahahahahaha

--------------------
LIVE LIFE FOR THE WEED

NEVER BACK DOWN AND IF YOU NEED TO GET HELP TO STAND UP AND KEEP GOING 
ONLY A PUSSY STAYS DOWN
IRISH AND PROUD

MY GROW SO FAR HAVE A LOOK
http://www.growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/605866

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom