Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Gold Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. Awesome

depriving nitrogen on purpose???
    #196548 - 02/16/09 06:47 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

a couple of guys i know have a small grow going.. they are about 3-4 weeks into the flowering phase, and when i saw teh plants they did not look healthy.  teh fan leaves were all yellow, and by now, most of them have withered up and dropped off.  it seems obvious that teh plants are deprived of nitrogen.  when i expressed my concern, they replied that they were depriving the plants of nitrogen on purpose (while feeding it a high P and K) because it wouldn't effect yield, and would produce a much more enjoyable smoke.

now this does not seem right to me at all. the plants are showing bud growth, and all of the tops have green leaves, but other than that, it looks to me as though the plants are dying.  before they went into flowering, they were nice and bushy, and all around healthy looking.

what i'm curious to know is that is this a common practice?  cos to me it seems just wrong to deprive a plant of the very nutrients it requires to be healthy.  i know it is common practice to deprive the plant of all nutrients during the final phases of flowering in order to flush out any fertilizers, but they have been doing this since day 1 of flowering.  would it not be beneficial to provide the plant with more nitrogen when it is showing a deficiency?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineYrat
Happy Planting
 User Gallery

Re: depriving nitrogen on purpose??? [Re: Dr. Awesome]
    #196549 - 02/16/09 07:04 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

i have never heard of this, and i don't see how it could possibly be beneficial to the plants.  with the deprivation of nitrogen, the plants are forced to move their stores from the older leaves to the newer ones, in order to keep growing.  i believe that down at this most fundamental level, this will inhibit plant growth significantly.

think of it this way.  which will grow faster, fuller, healthier, and all around better:  a plant with all the food it requires, or one that is forced to "recycle" a fixed, and inadequate amount of nitrogen in order to finish its life cycle.

--------------------
"Prohibition will work great injury to the cause of temperance. It is a species of intemperance within itself, for it goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation, and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes. A Prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded." - Abraham Lincoln

"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root"
~ Henry D. Thoreau
Strike The Root
                                                                                      :gethigh:

OfflineDr. Awesome

Re: depriving nitrogen on purpose??? [Re: Yrat]
    #196550 - 02/16/09 07:08 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

that is precisely what i thought.  what they are doing seems to defy common sense.  ultimately i don't care, cos it's not my crop, but i plan on starting a grow and wanted to make sure they were the crazy ones, not me.  just looking to have someone confirm what i was already 1000% positive of.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates