Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Loc: Bumfuckt Egypt
One Last Shot
    #181377 - 01/14/09 12:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I posted about my lack of bud in the lounge there, and someone suggested I try growing again. I've had various things go wrong...and I guess I'll try one more time. I have a bunch of seeds I was going to save until spring, but what the hell.

Heres my set up. Its mostly for little cacti and some mimosa hostilis for right now.

Those are 2 26 watt (100 watt equivalent) CFLs. I know thats not enough...so for 5 plants, how many more 26 watts should I buy? I'm also confused as to the spectrum. My previous plant liked these.

I'm looking to grow in straight coir, so the soil shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I know little to nothing about nutes...that was what did in my last plant. When should I start feeding the little ladies?

I can't really do 16 hours of light. I'm good to do like 12 though. My cabinet is right next to my bed and the light would keep me up. Will 12/12 light in veg be THAT bad of a thing?

Please keep in mind that any nutes I buy will have to be from Walmart or Lowes, or a similar super center.

Thanks for helping with my noob questions, but I really have no idea what I am doing. I usually get them up to a few leaf sets, and then they just stop growing or I kill them on accident.

One last question: Is it possible to leave the plants growing in beer pong cups the whole time? And maybe keep them under 2.5 feet tall?

--------------------
Of course it's happening inside your head.
Why should that mean it isn't real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Loc: The Milky Way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: One Last Shot [Re: RasJeph]
    #181412 - 01/14/09 01:38 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

First things first, really glad to see you giving it one last go! :smile:

Let's try to get you going. Germinating five seeds is a good idea, 'cause you can hope for at least two females, although there is always the small chance you could get one or two. It doesn't matter though 'cause the gaps in space can be filled in by training them from the beginning. More on that when you're ready. :wink:

Starting them off from 12/12 should work for you, especially since you're looking to keep them small and since you are using CFL's. About light spectrum, you'll need something near 6500k for the first while, until the buds start to form, then switch over to 2700k. The first is mostly blue spectrum light, and the latter is more red light for the buds to develop. My guess is that your cacti probably have red light right now...

26watt CFL's should have enough intensity individually, but of course you'll need as many bulbs as it takes to keep an even distribution of light to all areas of the plants. Keep the bulbs as close to the the seedlings as you can without burning them, usually just a couple inches. The downfall of CFL's is that their light doesn't penetrate very deeply, because it has much lower intensity than stuff like HPS. If they aren't getting enough of the right kind of light, the plants will stretch, which is especially bad if you are doing a micro-grow (which you are, search marijuana micro grow on Google if you want to find good info or grow journals to read in the meantime).
You're already on the right track with knowing to keep them horizontal. :thumbup:

The only problem you're going to have, especially with choosing to grow with coco (which is easy and very rewarding if you have what you need for it), is the nutrients. You'll really going to need hydro-quality nutrients, or you'll just be punching your fists against brick walls. The good thing though is that you can always get a moneycard from Wal*Mart and order some bottles online, as long as you don't have someone living with you that their finding your mail would be a security concern. You'd also need a way of adjusting and reading pH levels of the water you give them, especially with coco over soil. Again, coco is easy, but you just have to have the right stuff (still going to want pH management stuff and good fertilizers with soil though).

The good news on that, though, is your seedlings won't need fed for close to a couple of weeks, so that gives you some time to get that in order. About $100 should be enough to cover shipping of the nutes (I recommend General Hydroponics), some ph adjuster (most sources of water will need to be adjusted down, so a bottle of pH- should be all you need), and a cheap way of measuring the pH.

Just make sure to keep them right up by the light and to keep the coco moist but not wet, make sure its well-draining. About pot size, for what you'll be doing, you'll probably want to transplant them into something near a gallon in size. :wink:

Gotta jet man, good luck and I'm sure others will chime in to help too. :jah:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: One Last Shot [Re: Sirius]
    #181436 - 01/14/09 01:47 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Ok! Thanks man! I was thinking about getting 2 more power strips (like in there) and doing 4 more bulbs (two on each side). I have the blue-ish bulbs now, so they should work until flowering then.

Is there a way to OVER light them? I know my homies plants got burned, but thats because he let them get too close to the bulb.

I have a hydroponics store that is RELATIVELY close, and I could definitely get out there within a few weeks. What should I be looking for when I do get there? I can't really tell the dudes I'm looking for marijuana nutes haha. Should I just say "vegetation" and "flowering" nutes? I mean, I assume they get people looking for it all the time.

My same buddy grew in coir, and he had problems with it drying out all the time...but thats not really a problem for me because I'm home ALL THE TIME (going to school, but online)...so I can watch them very closely.

And yeah, I'm still living at home, but I shouldn't have any issues with mom. I'm sure she'd rather I grow it than deal with a shady asshole :smile:

Thanks for the help man!

--------------------

Edited by RasJeph (01/14/09 01:48 PM)

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Loc: High Flag
    #181585 - 01/14/09 02:57 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I suggest you just buy a CFL lamp with a refelctor...You got do that for the same price as buying all of that and get away with less lights...Of course higher wattage.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineKaptKid
Spaced Pirate
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bright Side of the Sun
    #181871 - 01/14/09 09:00 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Hey man, the hydro store I go to is so cool. I've even talked to other growers there. We all talk about what we need and problems we are having.We never talk about what we are growing.We all know.

--------------------
Child of the 60's, Tripping ever sence.

Offlinetameme
Re: One Last Shot [Re: KaptKid]
    #181995 - 01/14/09 11:25 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeah?

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
Re: One Last Shot [Re: tameme]
    #182035 - 01/15/09 03:39 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

mhbound said:
I suggest you just buy a CFL lamp with a refelctor...You got do that for the same price as buying all of that and get away with less lights...Of course higher wattage.

I'm going to disagree with this, as its always better to have more light sources covering a wider area than to have just one light hanging in the middle, especially with CFL's. Light intensity on CFL's is pretty low and their light is only effective for growing only so many inches away, so having lots of lights covering the whole surface of the canopy should pay better dividends in yield, especially when you're doing a micro-grow and want to keep the plants from stretching for light in the first place. Of course, the higher wattage you go with across the board, the better. :wink:

Rasjeph, there shouldn't be a way to overlight them, at least not with CFL's, as long as they aren't too close to the bulb to cause the leaves to dry out and burn up. Having a good fan blowing across the canopy will help keep them closer to the bulb, as well as help give your plants plenty of fresh air. They'll need as much CO2 as they can get. You might have to start thinking about ventilation and also taking care of the odor, but with a microgrow, ventilation should be covered by hooking up some computer fans....

When you go to the shop, you can look for any kind of coco-specific nutrients. These will usually have an A and a B bottle. Grab some PK 13/14 too, you'll want that for flowering to help boost your yields. That might be easier, but if you get something like the General Hydroponics Floranova series, its like three bottles (1L each should do you for a good while with your size grow), which allows you to adjust to give each plant what they are asking for, and there are well-established feeding regimens for pot plants already on the net for those nutrients. You're right about needing to make sure coco doesn't dry out. Its usually good to flush once or twice a week, which means to water without nutrients, in order to help keep the chemistry in the coco balanced.

Keep us updated man, and more help to come. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#182052 - 01/15/09 04:44 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome, thanks a lot for all the friendly replies. :yesnod:

Thought of something else to ask...whats the best way to germinate? I have them in a plastic baggie with a wet paper towel, thats how I've always done it before. Is it better to start them in the dirt?

--------------------

Edited by RasJeph (01/15/09 06:49 AM)

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #182112 - 01/15/09 07:34 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

I like to let my seedlings soak 24 hours in a glass of water until the taproot just splits the seed and I can see the root tip (if they don't germ in 24 hours I place them in a wet paper towel). Once I can see the tip I put the seed, root down, in my medium of choice. It helps to handle the seed as little as possible to prevent damage, the benefit of soaking to germinate is you only have to touch it once and even then, there is little chance to harm the seed because it is still protected within the seed coat.

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

Re: One Last Shot [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #182126 - 01/15/09 08:48 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dr. Penguin said:
I like to let my seedlings soak 24 hours in a glass of water

OK man, I'll give that a shot I suppose :smile: Is it good to apply heat? I have them on that shelf above where my lights are and it keeps everything nice and toasty. Kinda wish I could crawl in there haha.

--------------------

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #182131 - 01/15/09 09:24 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

A bit of warmth is alright but make sure you don't cook them.  :hotidea:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

#182139 - 01/15/09 10:33 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Sirius said:
First things first, really glad to see you giving it one last go! :smile:

Let's try to get you going. Germinating five seeds is a good idea, 'cause you can hope for at least two females, although there is always the small chance you could get one or two. It doesn't matter though 'cause the gaps in space can be filled in by training them from the beginning. More on that when you're ready. :wink:

Starting them off from 12/12 should work for you, especially since you're looking to keep them small and since you are using CFL's. About light spectrum, you'll need something near 6500k for the first while, until the buds start to form, then switch over to 2700k. The first is mostly blue spectrum light, and the latter is more red light for the buds to develop. My guess is that your cacti probably have red light right now...

26watt CFL's should have enough intensity individually, but of course you'll need as many bulbs as it takes to keep an even distribution of light to all areas of the plants. Keep the bulbs as close to the the seedlings as you can without burning them, usually just a couple inches. The downfall of CFL's is that their light doesn't penetrate very deeply, because it has much lower intensity than stuff like HPS. If they aren't getting enough of the right kind of light, the plants will stretch, which is especially bad if you are doing a micro-grow (which you are, search marijuana micro grow on Google if you want to find good info or grow journals to read in the meantime).
You're already on the right track with knowing to keep them horizontal. :thumbup:

The only problem you're going to have, especially with choosing to grow with coco (which is easy and very rewarding if you have what you need for it), is the nutrients. You'll really going to need hydro-quality nutrients, or you'll just be punching your fists against brick walls. The good thing though is that you can always get a moneycard from Wal*Mart and order some bottles online, as long as you don't have someone living with you that their finding your mail would be a security concern. You'd also need a way of adjusting and reading pH levels of the water you give them, especially with coco over soil. Again, coco is easy, but you just have to have the right stuff (still going to want pH management stuff and good fertilizers with soil though).

The good news on that, though, is your seedlings won't need fed for close to a couple of weeks, so that gives you some time to get that in order. About $100 should be enough to cover shipping of the nutes (I recommend General Hydroponics), some ph adjuster (most sources of water will need to be adjusted down, so a bottle of pH- should be all you need), and a cheap way of measuring the pH.

Just make sure to keep them right up by the light and to keep the coco moist but not wet, make sure its well-draining. About pot size, for what you'll be doing, you'll probably want to transplant them into something near a gallon in size. :wink:

Gotta jet man, good luck and I'm sure others will chime in to help too. :jah:

I was talking about something like this with like a 200 watt bulb.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights.shtml

The 8th item down. Not the first reflector but the second...I guess the first one would do fine as well...I just like the second. It would be tough in that little spot I guess I didn't take that in to account, but I assume you will have to move those anyway.

--------------------
Suck my balls America

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#185331 - 01/20/09 11:28 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

OK guys, a few days in now.

Out of my 5 germinated seeds, I've got 2 little ladies about this size. MAYBE 3, still waiting to see what happens with the last one. I realize its not optimal to only have 2 plants, but whatever happens man.

I might be going to the hydroponics store sometime next week (waiting on my homie) and if I go there, I'll ask them about whatever they've got. I really want to get a HPS light to go with my CFL's, so at this point that is really the plan.

However, if that falls through I'm going to order online. I know my friend who just had a VERY successful grow used these:

http://www.hydroasis.com/hy/productdetail.aspx?id=261&product=general-hydro-flora-gro-1-pint

Is the that best choice for me? Do I need all 3, or just the flower and bloom? Also...if I go with those, when do I use each one? Sorry to be such a noob, but its really confusing to me. Also if  you guys know any other sites that might be better to buy from, feel free to post suggestions. Thats just the first one that had the right stuff, I can search around.

Also; do you guys have any price guesstimates for a HPS light? My budget is gonna be about $100 with the nutes. I know they have "kits" at the place. Should I stay away from that?

Thanks. :smile:

Edit: Fuck, forgot the picture, 1 sec.

Looking at this kit:

http://www.kggardensupply.com/hydroponics-plant-system-002002-p-763.html

Is that out because I've already started in coir?

Edited by RasJeph (01/20/09 12:32 PM)

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #186273 - 01/21/09 03:59 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Not a lot of time at the moment, but definitely go with the Flora series. I think you can get by without the grow bottle because you can get the right mixes between micro and bloom, but if you do have the grow, you have more options to give the plants exactly what they need at different times. Later I can get you exact formulas on how to administer them...

If you're going for an HPS, you'll have to consider space and especially heat concerns, and ventilation too. This will definitely knock things up another $200 at least...

No more time, but its great to see that little seedling! Here's to your last shot being the first of many successful grows! :jah:

--------------------

OfflineRasJeph
Psycho Pete
Male

#186613 - 01/22/09 04:22 AM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Haha, cool beans man! Thanks! I'll just get all 3 to be on the safe side, $7 really isn't that big of a deal anyway :P

--------------------

OfflineSirius
Saturn Ascends

Trusted Cultivator
    #189987 - 01/27/09 12:35 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

So, how is it going with this? Here's the formula that Rez from Reservoir Seeds uses:

Quote:

==The Recipe==

(All Products are GenHydro,pH at 6.0)
(All measurements are per gal.)
6ml flora micro
9ml flora bloom
5ml Floralicious (during week 3 of a 4-5week,24-on,veg cycle.)

Week 5,transition into flower-6.0 pH h20 at <100ppm

Based on 63 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:

Day 1-14
6ml micro
9ml bloom

Day 15-21
6ml micro
9ml bloom
7ml Kool-Bloom Liquid (0-10-10)

Day 22-28
9ml Bloom

Day 29-35
9ml Bloom
7ml Kool-Bloom Liquid (0-10-10)

Day 36-52
9 ml Bloom

Day 50-63 (Flush)
6.0 pH h20 at <100 ppm

Something like that should be a good base to stick to. I'm sure the bottle has general info too. Haven't tried GH Flora out yet myself so I don't have any notes. The main idea is to start with low concentrations of nutrients and then to gradually increase them. Much better to watch for signs of deficiencies than to overfertilize. Any questions, feel free to ask. :wink:

--------------------

OfflineGanjaGardener
    #191168 - 01/31/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

One important thing often overlooked until its too late is odor control. Just 1 female in flower could stink up your whole house. An easy and cost effective way to take care of odor is to simply go to your local petshop and buy activated carbon. put this in a bucket and drill a bunch of small holes along the bottom. Then hook your exhaust up to the hole in the lid and your set for a while. If odor starts to come back just change out the carbon.

Also if you get a HPS its definatly gonna cost you more then $100 for the system and temp control. See if you can't get a nice T5 florescent instead.
If you end up just going with floros you should get a UV bulb to throw in their too because UV increases Trichomage

Invisiblemhbound
Ballin out at all cost
Male User Gallery

Re: One Last Shot [Re: GanjaGardener]
    #191169 - 01/31/09 11:17 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Just an added benefit...Free air freshening. =D

--------------------
Suck my balls America

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom