Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Free yourself from yourself
Male User Gallery

Loc: Carpal Tunnel
Sandra Bennett interview on Cannabis
    #158924 - 12/09/08 09:09 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

This shit got my blood boiling!  If you are really lazy or a slow reader who isn't that interested just read the last question she asks herself. 

http://www.dare.com/home/tertiary/Default474a.asp?N=Tertiary&S=8

What Do You Say?
By: Sandra Bennett
Past President
Drug Watch International

What do you say to the media when they ask for your input on “medical” marijuana?
Over the past two years I have been asked by numerous radio talk show hosts, most of whom had already interviewed medical pot “experts” on their programs, to respond for “the other side.”

This happened again this evening when the producer of a talk show in Maryland called and said that more than 50 state legislators had signed on to a bill that would allow terminally ill patients access to “medical” marijuana, and asked me if I would respond. Based on the producer’s questions, which sounded rational, I agreed to do it. Here is a sample of the questions and some of my responses.

Question: Don’t you think doctors ought to be able to prescribe anything they want for their patients?

Response: Marijuana is not prescribable. It is an illicit drug that has failed to meet any of the FDA criteria for therapeutic drugs. Further, when it comes to pharmaceutical drugs that are controlled substances, doctors may not prescribe them in any manner they please, and pill mill doctors who have been caught handing out unwarranted prescriptions for these substances are often arrested and serve jail time-as has happened in the past with Valium and more recently OxyContin.

Question: But they’re asking for marijuana for terminally ill patients. Don’t you think these patients deserve to be relieved from their suffering?

Response: First, though the media continues to claim that marijuana would only be used by terminally ill patients, the fact is that all of the initiatives passed to date have been much more broad based than that, and, in fact, an Oregon physician who had written more than 60 percent of all the marijuana recommendations in that state had not examined the patients and had not seen their medical records. He had even given a recommendation to a 14-year-old child for a minor ailment. Further, few of the individuals who received the “recommendations” had “terminal” medical conditions.

Question: But if someone is terminal?

Response: Even the IOM report acknowledged that there are excellent pharmaceutical medications already available to treat every malady mentioned by those who seek to smoke marijuana.

Question: So are you saying that marijuana has no medical properties?

Response: Having medical properties is not the same thing as being safe and effective for medical use. Marijuana has 483 compounds, 66 of which are cannabinoids. Several of the cannabinoids have already been developed into FDA approved medications. But these medications are not marijuana. They are pharmaceutical drugs, which can be carefully titrated to the patient's needs.

Here is an illustration that may make this easier to understand. Compare marijuana to a chocolate fruitcake. The cake, like marijuana, contains many ingredients, i.e., eggs, flour, sugar, salt, fruit, nuts, leavening, and cocoa. The cocoa is to the cake what THC is to marijuana. However, to a diabetic, or someone allergic to nuts or flour or eggs, there are likely to be some very bad reactions to eating the cake. Using the word “cocoa” interchangeably with the word “cake” is incorrect, misleading, and confusing. However, that is what is being done with THC and marijuana. THC is no more marijuana than cocoa is a chocolate cake.

Question: What do you think about doctors who prescribe or recommend marijuana to their patients?

Response: There are good doctors and bad doctors just like there are good and bad lawyers, policemen, accountants, and other professionals. I think that a doctor who recommends marijuana to a patient is either a bad doctor or a doctor who is not familiar with the scientific medical literature on marijuana. By the way, many individuals who are terminally ill are on supplemental oxygen. It would be extremely dangerous, not only for the patient, but also for anyone else in the vicinity for the patient to smoke while using supplemental oxygen. Further, for most individuals in this stage of illness trying to smoke anything could pose an extreme fire hazard, again, endangering the lives of others.

A question that was not asked by this radio talk show host but usually makes its way into the agenda is one that brings in the question of tobacco vs. marijuana, i.e., “Tobacco kills hundreds of thousands of individuals every year but nobody’s ever died of smoking pot. But pot is illegal. Doesn’t this seem a bit hypocritical?”

Answer: Marijuana is a leading cause of drug-related emergency room episodes and emergency psychiatric episodes. Smoking a few cigarettes, or even a package of cigarettes, has never necessitated emergency room medical or psychiatric attention. Long-term tobacco use leads to the deterioration of the lungs, heart, circulation, etc. There are no recorded deaths from smoking tobacco short term. It is known that marijuana undermines the immune system so it is likely that in another 20 years, if use continues to escalate, the death toll from side effects of long-term marijuana use will equal those of longer-term tobacco use. Additionally, because marijuana is hallucinogenic, smokers often indulge in risky or irresponsible behavior that results in tragic or lethal consequences.

--------------------

Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies - Become a member!
The Growery's Herb Museum (post #24)
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery.
~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineezKiel
All About the Haze
Male User Gallery

Re: Sandra Bennett interview on Cannabis [Re: FurrowedBrow]
    #158927 - 12/09/08 09:22 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

HOLY FUCK!

She's a fucking PHARMA lapdog.

Fucking whore.

Offlinehighasfuck
The last samuri
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
    #158931 - 12/09/08 09:24 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I would dry smash her shit box. then slap her

a lot

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Sandra Bennett interview on Cannabis [Re: highasfuck]
    #158941 - 12/09/08 09:33 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know why i even bother going to those websites like ONDCP, DEA, Dare, etc.  I always know it just gets my heartrate up.  Here's an example.  Even the DEA is perpetuating the myth that cannabis is a narcotic drug. 

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

OfflineMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
    #158963 - 12/09/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Question: Don’t you think doctors ought to be able to prescribe anything they want for their patients?

Response: Marijuana is not prescribable. It is an illicit drug that has failed to meet any of the FDA criteria for therapeutic drugs. Further, when it comes to pharmaceutical drugs that are controlled substances, doctors may not prescribe them in any manner they please, and pill mill doctors who have been caught handing out unwarranted prescriptions for these substances are often arrested and serve jail time-as has happened in the past with Valium and more recently OxyContin.

Since when did the FDA become the be-all and end-all of medical knowledge? They know as much about medicine as Congress knows how to fix the economic crisis. In both cases, the government entity is making the problem MUCH MUCH WORSE, people ARE advocating the correct solution for the problem, but the all-knowing government says they're wrong!

Quote:

Question: But they’re asking for marijuana for terminally ill patients. Don’t you think these patients deserve to be relieved from their suffering?

Response: First, though the media continues to claim that marijuana would only be used by terminally ill patients, the fact is that all of the initiatives passed to date have been much more broad based than that, and, in fact, an Oregon physician who had written more than 60 percent of all the marijuana recommendations in that state had not examined the patients and had not seen their medical records. He had even given a recommendation to a 14-year-old child for a minor ailment. Further, few of the individuals who received the “recommendations” had “terminal” medical conditions.

Question: But if someone is terminal?

Response: Even the IOM report acknowledged that there are excellent pharmaceutical medications already available to treat every malady mentioned by those who seek to smoke marijuana.

What a cruel thing to say. There are people who get MORE sick from taking those fucking pharms. Your body cannot handle being on an Oxy scrip for a sustained period of time. Your liver tells you to fuck off eventually. Not so with cannabis. And if they're terminal, what should it matter if there are side-effects to cannabis? I'd be looking for ANYTHING that I could find relief in on a reliable, safe basis.

Quote:

Question: So are you saying that marijuana has no medical properties?

Response: Having medical properties is not the same thing as being safe and effective for medical use. Marijuana has 483 compounds, 66 of which are cannabinoids. Several of the cannabinoids have already been developed into FDA approved medications. But these medications are not marijuana. They are pharmaceutical drugs, which can be carefully titrated to the patient's needs.

Here is an illustration that may make this easier to understand. Compare marijuana to a chocolate fruitcake. The cake, like marijuana, contains many ingredients, i.e., eggs, flour, sugar, salt, fruit, nuts, leavening, and cocoa. The cocoa is to the cake what THC is to marijuana. However, to a diabetic, or someone allergic to nuts or flour or eggs, there are likely to be some very bad reactions to eating the cake. Using the word “cocoa” interchangeably with the word “cake” is incorrect, misleading, and confusing. However, that is what is being done with THC and marijuana. THC is no more marijuana than cocoa is a chocolate cake.

Horrible analogy, first off. Second, having worked at a dispensary, I am able to attest first hand to the true needs of the patients. Sure, there are people whose conditions are less severe, non-terminal, whatever. But despite however many of those come in, it is all worth it if one person with no other alternative comes in to get relief. For example, the people less effected by their conditions that patronize the dispensary regularly keep it in business. If it were only those people in the most dire of need, no dispensaries could operate. And the people that need it most are not the people able to grow it themselves. So dispensaries are a godsend to them. And we are the ones that keep them open and available for those in need.

Whenever I work, nothing makes me happier than seeing somebody come in, get their meds, and really attest to how much it works for them. Last time I was there, there was an older gentleman that came in for his first visit to a dispensary ever. His hands and arms shook violently the entire time. We explained various methods to him of ingesting, vaporizing, and smoking. He'd tried all sorts of pharms, but nothing could do it but the weed. And when he left there, I knew that he would finally be able to be still and calm. Sure he wasn't terminal, but imagine living life not being able to drink a drink, write anything, open doors, etc all because the government knows whats best for you. It's shameful.

Quote:

Question: What do you think about doctors who prescribe or recommend marijuana to their patients?

Response: There are good doctors and bad doctors just like there are good and bad lawyers, policemen, accountants, and other professionals. I think that a doctor who recommends marijuana to a patient is either a bad doctor or a doctor who is not familiar with the scientific medical literature on marijuana. By the way, many individuals who are terminally ill are on supplemental oxygen. It would be extremely dangerous, not only for the patient, but also for anyone else in the vicinity for the patient to smoke while using supplemental oxygen. Further, for most individuals in this stage of illness trying to smoke anything could pose an extreme fire hazard, again, endangering the lives of others.

Good thing they don't have to smoke to get relief!! :volcano:
I really think it is she that is unfamiliar with the scientific medical literature out there.

Quote:

A question that was not asked by this radio talk show host but usually makes its way into the agenda is one that brings in the question of tobacco vs. marijuana, i.e., “Tobacco kills hundreds of thousands of individuals every year but nobody’s ever died of smoking pot. But pot is illegal. Doesn’t this seem a bit hypocritical?”

Answer: Marijuana is a leading cause of drug-related emergency room episodes and emergency psychiatric episodes. Smoking a few cigarettes, or even a package of cigarettes, has never necessitated emergency room medical or psychiatric attention. Long-term tobacco use leads to the deterioration of the lungs, heart, circulation, etc. There are no recorded deaths from smoking tobacco short term. It is known that marijuana undermines the immune system so it is likely that in another 20 years, if use continues to escalate, the death toll from side effects of long-term marijuana use will equal those of longer-term tobacco use. Additionally, because marijuana is hallucinogenic, smokers often indulge in risky or irresponsible behavior that results in tragic or lethal consequences.

This is just 2 tons of bullshit I don't even wanna attempt to shovel.

--------------------
I'm an electric smoker :gc:

ExplosiveMango said:
If everyone could do mushroom, yes, it would be a wonderful world. This will never be, only some can do mushrooms. It is the responsibility of those of us who see the world most clearly to pass the clarity on to those who cannot bare to wear our lenses.

Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

InvisibleFurrowedBrowM
Male User Gallery

Re: Sandra Bennett interview on Cannabis [Re: MistaUNGA]
    #159005 - 12/09/08 10:30 PM (15 years, 3 months ago)

I'm surprised you shoveled as much as you did.  I agree with ya.  I bet you do get a lot of satisfaction out of working at a dispensary.  I lol'd hysterically at the cake analogy.  talk about a stick in the mud.

--------------------

~ Thomas Jefferson ~

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds