Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbalonics

Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow
    #147179 - 11/19/08 12:37 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey everybody,

It's getting cold out and I think it's time to invest in materials for a legit closet grow as my hobby for this winter into spring. After a long time of research and thought of what kind of set up I am looking at for my living situation (F.Y.I. I am living in 4 story apartment building, top floor with surprisingly thick walls that doesn't let any smell out when cooking/smoking/etc., and am on good terms with the supervisors of the building along with landlord, who also must give mandatory notice prior to entrance to my apartment for any reason). I want to make a purchase to get started on the right foot for a decent harvest from the most 5 plants at a time. I'll begin to break down my scenario for you all to get a good idea of what I have in mind.

-I'm planning to do it in my closet, but didn't want to devote the entire thing to having plants in it, so was thinking about a tent inside of the closet, inside of my bedroom.

-My budget is loosely $500.

-I want to only have to make one purchase for my supplies for things like soil, nutrients, potting supplies, etc. So getting all my stuff from one website in one shot is optimal (not 7 different eBay transactions).

-Since it's my first full throttle grow on my own I'm going for a 100% Organic soil grow.

-The closet space measures a total of 84 in. X 22 in. X 95 in., but removable planks of wood divide the top 27 inches for separate storage so my main grow space is 68 inches high.

-I was thinking about getting all my supplies from HTGsupply. these are the links to what I'm thinking about getting.

Tent:
I'd like to have this tent contained on my closet, to conceal the smell and security more, along maintenance in general. It also just so happen to fit perfectly in my closet after measuring the space i have is 84 in. X 22 in. X 68 in.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=51920

Light:
I have two 75 watt CFL's for veg, I'd only need to invest for a flowering light. Thought this was the best choice for my 27 cubic feet of space. Is the Digital Ballast a good idea? 600 watts going to let out too much heat for the space?

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48956

Ventilation:
This is a very important factor, for the tent needs to be adequately ventilated for the plants' sake, and for my own sake. I don't have many places to shoot a duct and vent the air outside, so my question would be is venting through a scrubber (hopefully eliminating all the smell to it) and into the top space of the closet so it's just not in the tent? This is the fan that I thought could handle the job at 95 CFM.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52479

and this was the scrubber I was hoping could do the job from the odors of tops 5 plants.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49749

Am I destined for success with these investments? Do you think I am going to run into any serious problems? Would you pursue something like this? I need some advice from some veterans out there because I'm just doing this for the love of headies. Don't be shy to school me, shoot me advice, anything that could help a brotha out, everything is appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTokinHippie
Male User Gallery

Loc: A Freezer
Re: Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow [Re: Herbalonics]
    #147224 - 11/19/08 02:05 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Herbalonics,
I haven't grown that many times, so i'm in a similar boat, but in my experience the fan works well for ventilating my closet, i have the same one.  I blow the fan over my light to try and keep the temperature down, but you light is brighter than mine so i don't know the heat output or if that would be sufficient. The carbon scrubber got most of the smell out of my room, however there was a slight hint of fresh plant when you walked into the room.  I was wondering how using the cfl's was working for your veg, I was thinking about getting a new mag halide lamp for veg, unfortunately i only have the high pressure sodium.  I have heard that they work better.

--------------------
:cheers: Happy Moon Day!!!! May we return again soon! :darkside:

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow [Re: TokinHippie]
    #147332 - 11/19/08 05:22 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

The tent you describe is a bit bigger than my cab but lets see if I can take a crack at it.

500$ is a small budget for a decent sized grow. I spent 700$ to get about the same setup with alot of DIY projects. You'll have to spend wisely.

Some people love tents, some hate them. If you want to save a little cash, just buy black and white poly (panda film, visqueen) and line the back walls and ceiling. Buy 1x2's to make a rectangular frame to be the front entrance/wall. Staple the plastic, across the front, to the 1x2's and add a zipper to the center. That would cost all of 50$ and be very easy to build.

Are the 75w bulbs you have actually 75w or are they equivalent to 75w incandescent? If you don't know, its probably the latter.

6oow  is a ton of heat for that small of space, even 400w is quite a bit, you will have to leave the closet door open at all times or you will burn your babies to a crisp. When I leave the windows closed in the room my cab is in, the temps jump up about 20oF in about 2 hours, and thats a 400w.

I love my digital ballast. It costs a bit more but they run cooler, quieter, and you can put in an MH bulb for veg.

That fan when hooked to a scrubber isn't going to move that much air. If you go with a 400w or 600w I would defintly get a better fan, I wish I had. You can always use a speed controller if it's too much airflow. A vortex 6" would be best I imagine but a 4" vortex/can fan/econoline would work.

The scrubber you have pictured will be fine for that much space. Change the carbon every three grows or so and it will last quite a while.

Good luck! Keep us updated. :popcorn:

--------------------
* My Cab
* How to Build a Grow Tent
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Not responsible for advice not taken.

OfflineHerbalonics

Re: Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow [Re: Dr. Penguin]
    #147359 - 11/19/08 06:18 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks TokinHippie and Dr. Penguin for responding so quickly

the 75w bulbs are actually 65w, but are straight 65w and not just equivalent.

I'd love the connivence of the tent, which does have some air flaps on sides for extra ventilation, but I am on a fairly tight budget.

I think the buds in the future would be worth it to live under a 600w HPS because they'd get that much frostier in the end, so I'd definitely like to get enough ventilation to handle it. Because the scrubber I showed before has 4" flanges, I figured keeping it consistent would be good and came across this.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52505

do you think that fan could do the job for a 600w HPS?

thanks for your feedback

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #147497 - 11/19/08 09:41 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

That fan will probably be sufficient but just to throw it out there, I got my 170 cfm econoline for 60$... It is an inline fan, not squirrel cage, that I am quite fond of. 600w will be a ton of heat, just make sure you will have an adiquit supply of fresh air, an open window perhaps?

As for the feedback, anytime.  :mypleasure:

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #148396 - 11/21/08 12:31 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

hate to be the naysayer here penguin, but i know from personal experience that that fan will not cut it in terms of keeping the heat down.  I ran a similar fan with a 400 watt light and i was lucky if i kept my temps in the mid 80's. 

If you really want to run that 600 watt light, or even a 400, juice up the CFM of your fan.  Vortex is nice, i can recommend elicient as well.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineHerbalonics

Re: Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow [Re: coda]
    #148399 - 11/21/08 02:14 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

That 465 CFM fan could really not adequately vent out my small space?? even as the site suggests the fan is for extra large cooling jobs and exchanges air in a 2200 cu. ft. room in 5 minutes??

I'd get the 400w but the 600w is only $15 more and comes with hangers so it's a bargain I'd reallly like to take up on and be prepared for in the long run.

anyone else can vouch for these fans, or vouch for anything else that could solve my predicament?

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #148880 - 11/21/08 01:28 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

nono, i was referring to the first squirrel cage you posted, the 95 cfm one.  The 465 would be more then adequate.  Don't know why i didn't see your other post.

Also, get the 600 for sure!  an extra 200 watts for 15 bucks is a steal, your buds will be happier, and your yields and final product will also be better as well.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Planning a Fresh, First Indoor Grow [Re: coda]
    #149312 - 11/22/08 01:57 PM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Ha coda I thought you were nuts. 465 is overkill for a small space. I couldn't possibly suggest the first fan for this grow.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

OfflineHerbalonics

#149671 - 11/23/08 10:31 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks everyone for all your info and help

so the 95 might be too weak, 465 may be a bit overkill, is the verdict this happy medium?

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52492

Another thing that pissed me off is they took my 600w off HTG! i looked around on the site but they seemed to take off a lot of the 600w lights, hopefully they restock soon or something...

InvisibleDr. Penguin
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #149685 - 11/23/08 11:32 AM (15 years, 4 months ago)

I would stick with the 465 and get a fan speed controller. That way if you ever need the extra air, you've got it; plus, a larger fan turned down is more quiet than a smaller fan on high when moving the same amount of air.

--------------------
* My Cab
* Fan Speed Control 101
* Easy Butane Extraction

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds