Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Growery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

Growing in a garage through the winter
    #119401 - 09/07/08 09:50 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

I have a detached garage that i was thinking about growing tomato's in over the winter. There is no heat out there, but i am trying to come up with plans for a 5x5 room to use. I would insulate it very well, and put a smaller 3x3 grow closet in this room. The reason i would make a smaller room inside a bigger room, is air exchange. I can't pump in cold ass air directly into a room containing plants of any kind. I would have to heat the air going into the smaller room prior to intake. Basically i would have a small vent from the outside going into the big room, and that would bring in (cold) fresh air. The room would be set up with electric baseboard heaters, so it would turn on when the temp fell. Then, after the air is at 75%, another fan would pump in fresh air from the bigger room, into my grow room.

That is the basic design i am thinking of. I'm sure i could eliminate a step or two from this idea, but i was wanting some support and ideas from you all. Would this be a very expensive idea? Heating a 5x5 room 24/7, and then venting that air throughout the day for air exchange? Would i attract attention doing this? I live in a small town, with nice neighbors. I am friendly with all of them, and even party with one couple. I'm just trying to figure out if this would be a horrible idea, or a decent one. Growing inside my house is a non-option. The wife doesn't want tomato's growing in the basement, utility room, attic, or extra room we are not even using. She insists the smell would be to much, and she is afraid of what her parents would think if they discovered it on one of their many many trips in town to see us. Their isn't one room in this house they don't venture in. My small tub i grow portabella mushrooms in was found in the first hour they were in town last time, and it is in my closet in my bedroom, hidden behind a curtain.

Anyways, From a strictly theoretically idea, would this be cost effective, or just to expensive to do? I have the skills to make the greatest grow rooms of them all, but offending my wife is a big no no obviously.

--------------------
It's not paranoia when they really are out to get you

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNobodyImportant
Science Is Subculture
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jawjuh.
Re: Growing in a garage through the winter [Re: LordOfChaos]
    #119412 - 09/07/08 11:03 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

in a little 3x3 closet I think your main concern would be the excessive heat :crazy2:

just back that little thorax right up into me :crankey:

sorry im stoned

--------------------
:bonghit:
Glass By: US Tubes, ZOB, Roor.de, Sheldon Black, Jerome Baker, Medicali, Kennaroo, Sand, Alex K, Local and Unknown Artists

OfflineBlargIAmDead

Re: Growing in a garage through the winter [Re: NobodyImportant]
    #119556 - 09/08/08 03:16 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

First of all grow a pair and stand up to her parents. They won't like it. She won't like it. But they're just people. What would you say to friends or acquaintances who showed up and immediately started rifling through all your shit?

Second, if your wife is concerned about smell, the garage isn't gonna be any better than attic/bedroom/where ever. If you have a lot of "tomatoes" growing and no odor-control...you'll be able to smell it at the street much less the garage. If you have odor control you can be right next to the room smelling at the door crack and you should be okay. Just put a padlock on it and tell people that's where you keep your "difficult" child :smile:.

Thirdly, it would cost a hell of a lot less to just heat the little room. I would try to heat the little room and see how much temps fluctuate when cold air is being pumped in from the main garage. If it's too much then go ahead with your idea. Otherwise simpler, cheaper is better.

And lastly I'm gonna go ahead and revisit the grow a pair point. So you're growing "tomatoes" and I'm guessing your wife partakes of said "tomatoes". Yes you shouldn't offend her just to be a dick but there's always compromise. If she was willing to forgo all such temptations of "tomatoes" that you may be growing then I would say she has a right to say where and where you can't grow these (or if it's her house you're screwed as well:)). But if it's a shared house, you're bringing in a pay check, and she still partakes of any such "tomatoes" then I say work something a little better out. Good luck.

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

Re: Growing in a garage through the winter [Re: BlargIAmDead]
    #119583 - 09/08/08 05:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Basically, i am very close to my wife's parents. I may have givin the idea that they search the house, they do not. We are remodeling the entire house, and they like to look at our progress. They are not searching for anything specific, they just like to look around at what new thing we have fixed up. If i built a closet in the basement, i would be afraid they might get curious. I care what they think about me, so i don't want to make them think i don't take care of my family. They don't think pot is bad, but they would be concerned that i was growing a illegal substance in a house where their grandchildren are. I'm growing tomato's, but its the same thing if you get my drift.

My wife did make a compromise with me, she said i could grow in the garage, just not in the house. She doesn't smoke, but she knows without it i am in pain. I get shitty smoke in this town, so I'm basically doing something for myself rather than taking pain killers and anti-inflammatory meds every day. She knows this, so that is our compromise. I don't explain things very well, but i didn't think i had to because that was not the main focus or reason for this thread. This thread was merely a question about heating a space in a garage effectively, while giving a brief reason why i am doing so. Thank you for your opinion about heating a space in my garage.

--------------------

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
    #119806 - 09/09/08 10:06 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

the only thing to really watch out for regarding a grow like that is snow on the roof.  If you get a lot of snow in your area during the winter and your roof with the grow in it is the only one in the area with no snow, it's a bit of a giveaway to a trained eye that something hot is occurring within the room.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

OfflineLordOfChaos
AKA KADA
Male

Re: Growing in a garage through the winter [Re: coda]
    #119855 - 09/09/08 01:08 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Snow never builds up on the roof in that area so im good. Ty for your answer!

--------------------

Offlinejellyfish

#120439 - 09/10/08 09:56 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Your wife knows you smoke tomatoes?

InvisibleLiquidkick
    #120731 - 09/11/08 01:25 PM (15 years, 6 months ago)

Watch out for FLIR.

They look for hotspots where there shouldn't be.

like a vent.

Invisiblecoda

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Growing in a garage through the winter [Re: Liquidkick]
    #121807 - 09/14/08 12:52 AM (15 years, 6 months ago)

FLIR isn't a problem.  Especially for a small grow.

--------------------

MFDoom666: sobriety kills my buzz every time.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds